Join Early Retirement Today

Think I'll pull the plug next year at 63. Wild card is health insurance.....
Old 03-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Think I'll pull the plug next year at 63. Wild card is health insurance.....

So I will need health insurance for 2 years till Medicare. Hoping Trump care is a good deal. What are the other options? Independent agent or online health quotes?

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Nobody knows.

I'll bet now since the market has rocketed up so fast, that this site will be flooded with folks saying they are going to retire since their 401K/IRA, etc has gone up so high.

Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can use COBRA coverage to get you 18 months of coverage. I retired last year and am using that for health care right now. I can't get coverage as good for less under ACA because I'll make too much this year for any subsidies. By the time the COBRA coverage runs out I'll be out of the US and buying health care cheaply outside the US.

About 10 years ago (before ACA and more reasonable health coverage in the US) I had a coworker who despite having a pretty large stash (early employee at a then and still successful large tech company) couldn't buy coverage because of a pre-existing condition. He was waiting for COBRA distance to Medicare before retiring.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
About 10 years ago (before ACA and more reasonable health coverage in the US) I had a coworker who despite having a pretty large stash (early employee at a then and still successful large tech company) couldn't buy coverage because of a pre-existing condition. He was waiting for COBRA distance to Medicare before retiring.
The scariest factor for ER types was that even if you found coverage the plan could change or go away and you could find yourself out in the cold. All proposals I have seen for replacing the ACA have at least the concept of non-denial for people who maintain continuous coverage so, if something gets put in place most people with money should be OK. What would worry me would be a failure to arrive at a comprehensive plan in a reasonable time frame leading to insurers bailing from the system leaving some areas with no coverage. If you were stuck in a location like that you could find yourself unable to find any plan that would accept you. If I was nearing ER I would at least wait until I saw what happens in 2017 before bailing and probably wait until I was in COBRA range of Medicare. Sad state of affairs.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

Some lawmakers are refusing to vote alone party lines and some will only vote to repeal/replace if there is a new plan and some will only vote to repeal and not replace. So at first I was thinking this was a good thing but then realized that if prices keep escalating then people will drop out, insurance companies will quit offering plans and the ACA will just implode. I find it very sad that people are in t his situation too.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

decent article from NYT on this

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/2...-click&referer
Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If I was nearing ER I would at least wait until I saw what happens in 2017 before bailing and probably wait until I was in COBRA range of Medicare. Sad state of affairs.
I guess no one ER'd before ACA?
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
The Affordable Care Act as Retiree Health Insurance: Implications for Retirement and Social Security Claiming

of course they did - these guys say that ACA didn't materially impact ER but I don't have a full copy of the paper...yet
Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
The Affordable Care Act as Retiree Health Insurance: Implications for Retirement and Social Security Claiming

of course they did - these guys say that ACA didn't materially impact ER but I don't have a full copy of the paper...yet
Thanks, downloaded the pdf for later review.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Our choices for employer subsidized pre-65 retiree health care are as follows:

Same basic coverage as active employees. $1000 deductible per person with 80/20 benefit after deductible. Prescription drugs covered at a good rate/co-pay. Cost is ~$1700/month for family of 2 regardless of age and pre-existing conditions.

The lower level " Advantage +" plan is $1100/month for family of two. $2000 deductible per person then a 60/40 cost share after deductible. Prescription drugs benefit is about the same.

That latter is slightly better than Obamacare bronze plans all around. The higher premium is slightly better than good silver and gold plans on the Obama exchange for my zip code. That said, they all suck. But if i want to ER then I have to budget those costs with expected premium increases each year.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
Our choices for employer subsidized pre-65 retiree health care are as follows:

Same basic coverage as active employees. $1000 deductible per person with 80/20 benefit after deductible. Prescription drugs covered at a good rate/co-pay. Cost is ~$1700/month for family of 2 regardless of age and pre-existing conditions.

The lower level " Advantage +" plan is $1100/month for family of two. $2000 deductible per person then a 60/40 cost share after deductible. Prescription drugs benefit is about the same.

That latter is dlightly better than Obamacare bronze plans all around. The higher premium is slightly better than good silver and hold plans on the Obama exchange for my zip code. That said, they all suck. But if i want to ER then I have to budget those costs with expected premium increases each year.
I will add that as an active employee my premium cost for first option is about $500/month. So the retireeversion is only slightly subsidized by megacorp if at all.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

does your mega book a retiree medical liability? sometimes called opeb
Old 03-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed B View Post
I will add that as an active employee my premium cost for first option is about $500/month. So the retireeversion is only slightly subsidized by megacorp if at all.
It is probably not subsidized by your employer and is COBRA which is typically 102% of the employer's cost. If it was retiree health benefits (OPEB as Big Hitter refers to) then it would be available to you for the rest of your life, not just 18 months.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is probably not subsidized by your employer and is COBRA which is typically 102% of the employer's cost. If it was retiree health benefits (OPEB as Big Hitter refers to) then it would be available to you for the rest of your life, not just 18 months.

Both options are available for the rest of my life. In fact we can drop out and get back at any time at any subsequent sign-up period during our retirement. It simply makes sense to transition to Medicare +supplement when the time comes.

There is a Cobra option also, but I don't know as much about that.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd wait for the cobra window if I were you!

I am not sure you could get independent insurance at age 64 to cover the gap.
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
That article hits home with many ERs here because the ACA removed the 'job lock' the writer refers to (and on balance studies have backed this up). I know I wouldn't have left Megacorp a couple of years ago without it.

Beyond the job lock problem, one of the biggest (and perhaps insurmountable at this point) issues with current health insurance markets is the distortion caused by taxpayer and employer subsidized insurance. Not just because of the tax bennies for employer/employee but also because the employee often never sees the true cost of health care. The ACA didn't fix that issue but at least it provided an alternative.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
No problem if you had company insurance coverage in retirement, or felt daring, or moved to Thailand.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a individual policy in hand before I turned in my notice. But if I planned to retire at 63 I would simply wait another 6 months to be covered via COBRA.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
That article hits home with many ERs here because the ACA removed the 'job lock' the writer refers to (and on balance studies have backed this up). I know I wouldn't have left Megacorp a couple of years ago without it.

Beyond the job lock problem, one of the biggest (and perhaps insurmountable at this point) issues with current health insurance markets is the distortion caused by taxpayer and employer subsidized insurance. Not just because of the tax bennies for employer/employee but also because the employee often never sees the true cost of health care. The ACA didn't fix that issue but at least it provided an alternative.
well we get Forms 1095-C now that show the ER cost, I think?
Old 03-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
So I will need health insurance for 2 years till Medicare. Hoping Trump care is a good deal. What are the other options? Independent agent or online health quotes?

With a two year horizon to Medicare I suspect you will have very
little to worry about as there will be a, no doubt, a sunset provision to ACA, which most likely will be 2 years. If you said you had five years to Medicare then that would be a different discussion...

LARS is offline   Reply With Quote