Join Early Retirement Today

This COLA has no Fizz
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This COLA has no Fizz

(Yes, the FIZZ business is mine)

PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. (MarketWatch) — If you are counting on seniors to help jump-start the economy because of the Social Security cost of living adjustment (COLA) they are scheduled to receive early next year — forget about it! This increase is not as good as it looks.

COLA is much ado about nothing - Irwin Kellner - MarketWatch
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketWatch
If you are counting on seniors to help jump-start the economy because of the Social Security cost of living adjustment (COLA) they are scheduled to receive early next year — forget about it!
False premise. COLA is never meant to jump-start the economy. It offsets some price increases. That's all.
thefinancebuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinancebuff View Post
False premise. COLA is never meant to jump-start the economy. It offsets some price increases. That's all.
And to the extent that the "essentials" most often purchased by retirees of moderate means have tended to inflate faster than the overall CPI in the last several years, it doesn't even fully do that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see this year's COLA as being worse than any other year. In fact, in the 17 years I've been drawing military retired pay, It's the 3rd highest COLA I've received. For me, the raise pays my electric bill. It's not insignificant.

I suppose the two years of zero increases sticks in the minds of some. But what's done is done.

All the bleeding heart media likes to concentrate on the 80 year old widow, drawing $700 a month, with a drug bill the size of a new car payment. And while I have sympathy for anyone in that situation, I don't think it's typical. This year's COLA is appreciated by many of us.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
All the bleeding heart media likes to concentrate on the 80 year old widow, drawing $700 a month, with a drug bill the size of a new car payment. And while I have sympathy for anyone in that situation, I don't think it's typical. This year's COLA is appreciated by many of us.
I know I'd appreciate it. I've had no raise in four years, and a total of 2% in the last 6. And the increase in my share of health insurance premiums more than ate that up, so my take-home pay is less today than in 2005. And that's in *nominal* dollars. Adjust it for inflation (especially real inflation on essentials, not just the CPI) and it's at least 12% less than it was six years ago.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I know I'd appreciate it. I've had no raise in four years, and a total of 2% in the last 6. And the increase in my share of health insurance premiums more than ate that up, so my take-home pay is less today than in 2005. And that's in *nominal* dollars. Adjust it for inflation (especially real inflation on essentials, not just the CPI) and it's at least 12% less than it was six years ago.
No matter where our income comes from, we should be thankful for any increases. I just don't get all the hand wringing I'm seeing and reading in the media concerning this year's COLA. Especially when all federal benefit programs are under such scrutiny.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
No matter where our income comes from, we should be thankful for any increases. I just don't get all the hand wringing I'm seeing and reading in the media concerning this year's COLA. Especially when all federal benefit programs are under such scrutiny.

Agree. COLA shouldn't even enter in to the equation. SS should be indexed to wage gain/loss (i.e. how non-retirees' income is changing in aggregate, and where the $ for SS benefits comes from). Be thankful SS hasn't *decreased* by 8% because that's how much wage deflation there has been the last few years. Take the zero or small COLA gains and be happy and thankful.
ertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #8

[mod edit - Post moved to here]
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
It's not a false premise, because it is not a premise.
Halloween is approaching and we're being haunted by the ghost of Emeritus...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

ertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
Administrator

Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Seniors don't do the majority of the spending in this country anyway..........

I don't relish the fact I have been paying in for over 30 years and I am nearly 100% convinced I won't get one penny. Nut, I digress..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
"OFGS"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertj View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Yes, you are on the wrong discussion board.

You and all the other grammar guys might want to talk to Andy R about starting your own discussion board. I'd join it just to see what sort of ads would be running on it.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"OFGS"...

Yes, you are on the wrong discussion board.

You and all the other grammar guys might want to talk to Andy R about starting your own discussion board. I'd join it just to see what sort of ads would be running on it.
Personally I have found this ridiculous grammar folderol to be worthwhile - it helped me get off the fence on adding to my ignore list!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #17

Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ertj View Post
SS should be indexed to wage gain/loss (i.e. how non-retirees' income is changing in aggregate, and where the $ for SS benefits comes from). Be thankful SS hasn't *decreased* by 8% because that's how much wage deflation there has been the last few years. Take the zero or small COLA gains and be happy and thankful.
Actually SS benefits are indexed to the wage base, at least prior to age 62 when you could actually start receiving benefits. I saw my estimated benefits go down earlier this year from the prior years estimate because of that.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Well, folks, grammar is what I did for 40 years, so it interests me. Besides, the relationship between the premise of an argument and the antecedent of an if-construction has more to do with logic than with grammar. Anyone interested at all in logic?
How about each time you come across things like this you create a new thread in the "Other" forum. I have no problem with this practice and as shown in the thread on the spacing between sentences there are others that are happy to discuss these issues. It is diverting threads like this from the main subject that is particularly annoying to many members.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
How about each time you come across things like this you create a new thread in the "Other" forum. I have no problem with this practice and as shown in the thread on the spacing between sentences there are others that are happy to discuss these issues. It is diverting threads like this from the main subject that is particularly annoying to many members.
+1

I was going to suggest this, as I'm one of the weird ones who appreciates GregLee's expertise and input on grammar. But I agree that maybe just a note and a link to separate thread for grammar discussion would be best. That way, we can discuss at length (or not), w/o 'intruding' on the current thread. And we could get our grammar lessons all in one handy spot!

Win-win?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote