Join Early Retirement Today

This is sad, wanna work for 7 dollars an hour?
Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
gone traveling

This is sad, wanna work for 7 dollars an hour?

Town wants to let seniors work off taxes - CNN.com

Oh well.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$12,000 per year property tax is nuts for a $470K house ( Town of Greenburgh - Assessor's Office). It may be true that taxes are used to support excellent schools, libraries, police and fire services, but that's just too high - IMHO. I suspect the county pays teachers, police and fire fighters well (for their outstanding services) but offers only $7 an hour for the seniors who cannot afford to pay property taxes?!
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I pay $1,200 property tax on a $47K home so I don't see $12,000 on a $470K home to be that outrageous...
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #4

Our county (in Minnesota) has a tax rate of $12.00 per $1,000 of value. The school system is one of the best in the country.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #5

It is just sad in MHO. The real problem is why are the taxes so high? Why are older people still paying for School Taxes? What happens to the seniors that cannot work or those that can now but can't later? Reduce expenses, come up with a way to reduce taxes for those that cannot pay. This is no solution at all just a way for the Government to keep the tax collections up and keep funding all of the pet projects.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
It is just sad in MHO. The real problem is why are the taxes so high? Why are older people still paying for School Taxes? What happens to the seniors that cannot work or those that can now but can't later? Reduce expenses, come up with a way to reduce taxes for those that cannot pay. This is no solution at all just a way for the Government to keep the tax collections up and keep funding all of the pet projects.
In Texas it's not unusual for someone with a $200,000 home to pay $5,000 per year in property tax. With a $600,000 home, that could easily be $18,000.

That's one of the traps I see for ER in Texas. Property value for the "big one" (school taxes) gets frozen when the person "homesteading" the property reaches 65 but it will keep climbing until then. School tax rates can be increased which will increase their tax bill and they do. The other taxes keep on rolling up. All of this is causing many problems with people not being able to afford to stay in their homes -- both retired and not. Texas has a very aggressive posture in pushing the appraised value of property and many people appeal their taxes every year.

Texas not having an income tax creates the false illusion that moving to Texas will save you taxes. The only way it will is if you live in a very inexpensive place. That's why I'm looking at moving from Texas. I can manipulate my income in retirement but I can't do anything about the property tax bill except move.

Not to mention the scorpions and ebola.....
Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Not to mention the scorpions.......
Don't you watch Man vs. Wild those scorpions are a free source of protein.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
Texas not having an income tax creates the false illusion that moving to Texas will save you taxes. The only way it will is if you live in a very inexpensive place. That's why I'm looking at moving from Texas. I can manipulate my income in retirement but I can't do anything about the property tax bill except move.
You don't have to move out of state! You just have to avoid owning real property, or own an inexpensive piece of property - very easy in TX since real property values are so much lower than the rest of the country.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
My mom and dad lived in Worthington Hills (off 315) for about 35 years. My dad made the observation one time that the "high rollers" would move into the area, vote for all the school levies, and then move when the kids were out of school or get transfered. That left the longtime residents holding the bag for the taxes. When new people moved in there would be another round of tax increases.

Speaking of property taxes, did you get in on the Homestead Exemption for us Buckeyes? MY taxes went down about $385. DW put us over the line this year.
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #10

Got the HS for OH this year taxes went down $518.08; now the bill is $6.7K versus $7.4K and that also accounts for SMALL successful BOR challenge this past year for about $130. With this level of RE Property Taxes I am paying them twice in one year so that I can itemize in the year I pay them and use the standard deduction in the alternative years. State Income Taxes will go down this year (2008 now that OH has joined about 40 other states in exempting Military Retired Pay from State Taxes. You have to really stay on top of the tax situation.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ya'll should move to Dixie.

South Carolina just increased the sales tax by 1% and took most of the School expenses off of the Real Estate taxes (let the tourists help, theory). My house is appraised at $200k could still sell it in this market for $330k tomorrow and probably $375K if we worked it.

2008 Property Taxes are $815.00..

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire View Post
Don't you watch Man vs. Wild those scorpions are a free source of protein.
I quit watching it when he started drinking his own urine.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why are older people still paying for School Taxes?
When I lived in Fox Point WI (prop taxes about 3.5% of value), there was a letter in the local paper by a 75 year old complaining about just that -- he said he had 12 kids go through school, and was tired of paying school taxes all these years, and thought that seniors should not have to pay for schools any more since they wouldn't have any kids in the system. My response was (and is) that all the property taxes he paid in his life did not pay for the 12*12 years of public education his kids got -- people like him are made up for by people like me who don't have kids, don't plan to have kids, and still pay taxes to support the schools.

As for fairness -- well, the property tax is somewhat unfair, since it has to be paid out of income -- the income tax is fairer, but people whine and complain bitterly about that, too.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Got the HS for OH this year taxes went down $518.08; now the bill is $6.7K versus $7.4K and that also accounts for SMALL successful BOR challenge this past year for about $130. With this level of RE Property Taxes I am paying them twice in one year so that I can itemize in the year I pay them and use the standard deduction in the alternative years. State Income Taxes will go down this year (2008 now that OH has joined about 40 other states in exempting Military Retired Pay from State Taxes. You have to really stay on top of the tax situation.
Plus we got another little kickback, 4.2%.

The Columbus Dispatch : Income tax drops 4.2% for Ohioans
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, Greenburg pays about 10X the taxes that I do.

I pay about $1300/year on a home of about $500K
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #16

RtheR: So it is just another Ponzi Scheme!
Old 01-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

If that $7/hr were itself free of SS/medicare and income taxes it wouldn't be as bad a deal.

But I doubt that's the case, in fact the killer is that many of these seniors are probably going to pay more taxes on their SS benefits if they participate in this program.

This is why so many seniors retire to "adult only" communities in the Southwest where there are no schools to fund.
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Why property taxes
Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 AM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Why property taxes

The reason property taxes are used by local government units is that they are a reliable source of income. If the local government units relied on income or sales taxes it would be impossible to produce a budget that was predictable year to year since these taxes can vary because of the state of the economy. I am not stating that it is fair but there is a reason behind the madness. While property values may vary up and down the tax rate will compensate so the government units will get the money they need. The real problem with property taxes is the inability of the state government to meet their own obligations and force more of the tax bill to local government units and their only recourse is to increase property taxes.

I am a former school board member from Indiana. In my time on the board the State and Federal governments would mandate certain programs but would not provide the money. We had no choice but to fund the programs (state law) so property taxes would be increased. One item the State forced down our throat was the funding of everyday expenses. School financing is complicated. The school corporations have 5 to 6 funds that are budgeted for. Money can not be moved from one fund to another. The general fund is the fund where everyday expenses are paid. The State helps provide money for this fund. This is the only fund they supply money for. Several years back instead of providing more money for the local schools the State passed a law where we could pay some of these expenses from the Capital Projects Fund. This fund is for capital improvements and is all local money provided by the property taxes. They "LET US" use this money for everyday expenses. So instead of the state legislators catching the blame for a tax increase to continue to fund the schools at the current rate they "LET US" increase the capital projects tax levy for our neighbors and friends.

So while you are raising heck with the local officials save some of it for your state representatives.
Mike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I would say it is time for those people to sell their houses and move to someplace with lower taxes.

I think it is pathetic that retirees with low incomes are not given a tax break.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #20

Move south or west - East Coast is too expensive. It may be a great place for teachers (e.g., salary of over $100K is not uncommon in NY).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg property_tax.JPG (54.4 KB, 33 views)