Join Early Retirement Today

This will force me to retire FOR SURE
Old 01-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

This will force me to retire FOR SURE

I'm already FI and still working 3 days a week only because I really enjoy most aspects of the job (other than no regularly scheduled telework). On the other hand, sometimes I think I'm fairly close to waking up one morning and just deciding I've had enough.

Anyway, in a bit under 2 years our whole office moves and the new setup is that "open office" crap where I'd have to be in an open cube rather than a private office which I have now. No way in freaking heck could I work like that. For whatever reason, I can't STAND being able to be seen while I'm working at something, whether it's at real work or if I'm at home and I'm doing some sort of home repair and my spouse wants to come over and watch me while I do it. At times when I've had to share a double office I've either brought in a divider or rearranged the furniture to build a wall between us.

Maybe I could use the "hostile work environment" argument to get a private office instead of a cube, but I doubt it.

Larry
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I'd hate that, too. If I were on the fence, that would be more than enough to push me over.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

That's easy.
The ADA requires your employer to make reasonable accommodation for your disability, including making your workplace accessible for you.
Since your disability would probably be described as idiopathic curmudgeon syndrome (ICS), you can demand the appropriate surroundings so you won't be bothered by the rest of humanity.

But if I were you, I'd simply hang it up.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
I'm already FI ...
Why in the world would you even consider staying when you say "No way in freaking heck could I work like that."?

Isn't that your answer? What are you waiting for, bamboo shoots under the fingernails?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure your need for a private office will be accommodated--none of the full-time worker bees in the "open cubicles" will be at all bothered by a part-timer enjoying your luxurious space. Ask for a pull-out fully stocked bar, too!

Or just retire
Old 01-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Bestwifeever;1830908. Ask for a pull-out fully stocked bar, too!
[/QUOTE]

If he uses the bar to host a happy hour every afternoon, then some of the full-time people may decide to temper whatever objections they have to a part-timer having a nicer office. Just leave the key to the booze drawer with somebody else for the days when the office is empty.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't deal with open office environments either. We at least have large cubical spaces with tall walls so I don't have to watch my coworkers pick their noses, hear them fart, etc. The loud voices & noise gets to me sometimes though.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Freedom View Post
I can't deal with open office environments either. We at least have large cubical spaces with tall walls so I don't have to watch my coworkers pick their noses, hear them fart, etc. The loud voices & noise gets to me sometimes though.
I love the ones who clip their nails at work.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm sure your need for a private office will be accommodated--none of the full-time worker bees in the "open cubicles" will be at all bothered by a part-timer enjoying your luxurious space. Ask for a pull-out fully stocked bar, too!

Or just retire
Your own private bathroom would be nice as well.....
Old 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

one time after we moved, i had a guy that insisted on having a barrier between the urinals in the restroom - I talked to mgt about it in a sr staff meeting but we never put in the barrier
Old 01-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how anyone can work in an open office. All that noise would be so distracting.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Ack, that reminds me of the last place I worked before I retired. They had transitioned the office to a "sea of desks" with short (4') walls. Way too much distraction. The guy in front of me had some sort of chronic sinus/lung problem, and was continuously working on clearing it up. I tried earplugs, headphones, music, anything to mask his noises. It was just like "Office Space". So glad I don't deal with that anymore.
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I don't know how anyone can work in an open office. All that noise would be so distracting.
I actually had trouble adjusting when I got promoted to a hard wall office. It was so quiet, it was sort of unnerving. That level had their own hard wall office with a door and privacy glass for as long as I could remember. But I got over it

But then a few years later, they changed the rules and I was back to an open cubical (at least I had soft, 5' walls). Man, all that noise and chatter and people putting their phone on speaker even when they were the only one on their side of the call! I never got used to that.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why in the world would you even consider staying when you say "No way in freaking heck could I work like that."?

Isn't that your answer? What are you waiting for, bamboo shoots under the fingernails?

-ERD50
+1

Trust me, most of us find that retirement is SO much better than bamboo shoots under the fingernails (or working in a cubicle environment).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

"cubicle sweet cubicle"
Old 01-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
one time after we moved, i had a guy that insisted on having a barrier between the urinals in the restroom - I talked to mgt about it in a sr staff meeting but we never put in the barrier
Instead he was the guy who went and pee'd in the toilet stall without lifting the lid
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Plus everyone can hear if you snore..
Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

OP - here is the solution I have seen work.
Get yourself a nice large radio, like a small boombox, and then play music on it like Alana Morrisett , the idea being play a constant type of music. You don't want variety, as that would mean everyone will enjoy some of it.

The guy that did this was moved to his own office with a door, because the music bothered so many other people.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Plus everyone can hear if you snore..
And they may see your monitor screen....
Old 01-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
OP - here is the solution I have seen work.
Get yourself a nice large radio, like a small boombox, and then play music on it like Alana Morrisett , the idea being play a constant type of music. You don't want variety, as that would mean everyone will enjoy some of it.

The guy that did this was moved to his own office with a door, because the music bothered so many other people.
if they put the Kabash on that, develop some other idiosyncratic annoying thing like moaning, sniffling, constantly trying to clear the peanut skin from deep within your larynx....you get it....

or.....just join us in retirement....
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote