Those Who Don't Have Pensions.............

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What kind of investments are you doing to make sure you don't outlive your money? (Besides LBYM)

A lot of folks on here have military or govt pension, that's going to help a ton.

However, I think about 80% of all Americans will not have a pension........

Just curious............ :confused: :confused: :confused:

The same kind of investments that the pensions make to make sure that their pensioners do not run out of pension fund before they die. Broadly diversified investments in the total market.

edit (typo - their not than)

Dividends, interest & social security should take care of my cash flow needs. Maintain a balanced portfolio and I should be fine for the long haul. Lot's of previous post here on this topic.

unclemick2 said:
psssst! - Dividends.

heh heh heh

SO, load up on P&G and go fishing??   :D :D

DOG52 said:
Dividends, interest & social security should take care of my cash flow needs. Maintain a balanced portfolio and I should be fine for the long haul. Lot's of previous post here on this topic.

Well, I am new here...........:( What about taxes?

Oh, one difference. I am not FORCED by a corrupt board of directors and management to load up on my employers stock in my retirement portfolio.

FinanceDude said:
What kind of investments are you doing to make sure you don't outlive your money? (Besides LBYM)

FD, just in case you don't get a lot of 'quality' responses to your question, you might want to take a look at some of the threads on this board to get an idea. (Hint: it's all over the place, from active real estate investing to traditional asset allocation to buying futures in certain types of exotic cheeses. ;))

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?board=6.0

FinanceDude said:
Well, I am new here...........:(  What about taxes? 

I recommend paying them.  :D  Lot's depend of your personal situation. You may need munis to lower your tax base. There are several on here more qualified than me that can give you more specific advise. They will probably need a little more info on you though.

REWahoo! said:
FD, just in case you don't get a lot of 'quality' responses to your question, you might want to take a look at some of the threads on this board to get an idea.  (Hint: it's all over the place, from active real estate investing to traditional asset allocation to buying futures in certain types of exotic cheeses. ;))

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?board=6.0

You forgot the ever popular "sponging off a working spouse" and the JG special "pulling it out of my @ss."

Annuities.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just kidding. The Trinity Study is a good place to start.

brewer12345 said:
You forgot the ever popular "sponging off a working spouse" and the JG special "pulling it out of my @ss."

I thought JG's portfolio consisted of a combination of the two...plus $100k in 0% interest CC debt! :p

Hint to finance dude: play with firecalc for a bit.

Hmmm

The irritating thing is that it's so simple:

1. Buy the Target Retirement Series appropriate for your age

or:

2. Buy some pssst Wellesley

Go fishing, post here a lot, or whatever floats your  boat.

Male hormones require we make it complicated though - putzing is pretty much incurible. Trust me.

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh

We may as not have a pension. It will be 10800 a year non inflation protected. It wont take long for inflation to make it semi-worthless.

Finace Guy - I know you introduced yourself here:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=8930.0

However, when you started this topic and asked this question, it would have been good of you to mention that you are trying to pick people's brains as to their strategies for surviving in early retirement, and are trying to get insights to help your clients. This is corrrect, yes?

While people don't mind helping out, you really need to dive in and read, read, read a lot of the older posts on this board. There is a HUGE amount of information and discussions on how every one handles their own situation.

Good luck,

Jane

Thanks for the help.............

Jane_Doe said:
While people don't mind helping out, you really need to dive in and read, read, read a lot of the older posts on this board.  There is a HUGE amount of information and discussions on how every one handles their own situation.
Yeah, like anyone listens to that when we keep looking up things for them. I feel your pain, Jane...

FinanceDude said:
A lot of folks on here have military or govt pension, that's going to help a ton.
However, I think about 80% of all Americans will not have a pension........
I've said it before: if you want a lifetime COLA pension then go buy yourself an annuity with those features. It's not a club with a closed membership. I wouldn't recommend the military method of obtaining one of them, so don't envy those of us who joined the military just because it looked like a fun challenge. We didn't join for the pension either, and if I had to do it all over again I would've chosed the Warren Buffett method.

Trinity's 4% SWR method assumes that there will be some consumption of principal and that hopefully past is prologue. That means you'll need 25x assets above your initial annual expenses and you'll probably die before your principal is gone.

However ESRBob's 4% SWR/95% rule ensures that you'll always have something left in your portfolio. An unusually severe bear market may require part-time work or a temp job to get over the nastiest patches, but that's why his book says "Work Less" instead of "Don't Work". As long as you're capable of some sort of work, this approach is free of failure.

For the "Don't Touch The Principal!!" route, living off dividends may require as much as 33x assets. It's a little difficult to tell people that they could retire in their 40s via Bob's part-time option, in their 50s with the Trinity study, or in their 60s if they wanted an extra 33% in their portfolio to ensure sufficient dividend income-- "So hang in there another decade or two, folks, and wait until you can collect those dividends!!". And if the govt messes with the current very generous taxation of dividends then dividend ERs may be screwed. Of course one's dividends would have to be high enough to also pay taxes, just like FIRECalc spits out its results in before-tax dollar amounts.

It's also difficult to tell clients people to read up on euthanasia, but that's one sure-fire way to ensure you don't outlive your assets.

Since ERs face a potential retirement of seven or eight decades, I feel that the primary concern should be inflation while volatility is irrelevant over that time span. According to Dimson & Marsh, the only investment to regularly beat inflation over the last century has been stocks. So our retirement portfolio is over 90% stocks, tilted toward small-cap, value, & international, with the remainder in cash (MM or CDs). No bonds.

But for those who absolutely positively don't want to outlive their money, their only "guaranteed" solution is an annuity with a COLA-- for which peace of mind they will pay dearly. It'll almost certainly require more than 33x expenses...

Nords said:
But for those who absolutely positively don't want to outlive their money, their only "guaranteed" solution is an annuity with a COLA-- for which peace of mind they will pay dearly. It'll almost certainly require more than 33x expenses...

Nords' post should go in the archives as one of the best summaries of retirement strategies I've read here.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Nords' post should go in the archives as one of the best summaries of retirement strategies I've read here.

Well said until his 2nd last paragraph which is flawed because he doesn't disclose an existence of a healthy pension to justify a 90% stock portfolio.

Nords said:
So our retirement portfolio is over 90% stocks, tilted toward small-cap, value, & international, with the remainder in cash (MM or CDs). No bonds.

Same for us, but, like Nord's, I have an inflation protected pension to offset the risk.

During one of the annuity wars threads I looked at a few annuities out of curiousity. I found some that were inflation protected up to 3%/yr for about 25X expenses. I didn't see anything that would cover serious inflation - do they exist? If so, I suspect Nord's 33x is about right.

AltaRed said:
Well said until his 2nd last paragraph which is flawed because he doesn't disclose an existence of a healthy pension to justify a 90% stock portfolio.
Thanks, I think, but oh please, my signature would plagiarize the "forward looking statements" on most publicly-traded company's press releases.

My pension doesn't cover all expenses.  The pension certainly makes it easier to handle the volatility of an all-stock portfolio, but even without the pension we'd stay with the same retirement portfolio asset allocation.  As I've said before, inflation is the real problem for an eight-decade retirement, and we carry enough cash (two years) to ride out the majority of the downward volatility.  We're not going to worry about the upward volatility...

donheff said:
Same for us, but, like Nord's, I have an inflation protected pension to offset the risk.
During one of the annuity wars threads I looked at a few annuities out of curiousity.  I found some that were inflation protected up to 3%/yr for about 25X expenses.  I didn't see anything that would cover serious inflation - do they exist?  If so, I suspect Nord's 33x is about right.

I confess that many years ago I sold annuities. It was impossible to get uncapped inflation protection, as the actuaries realistically believed that they couldn't be funded. (at that time, TIPS did not exist.)

Ha

Nords said:
Thanks, I think, but oh please, my signature would plagiarize the "forward looking statements" on most publicly-traded company's press releases.

My pension doesn't cover all expenses.  The pension certainly makes it easier to handle the volatility of an all-stock portfolio, but even without the pension we'd stay with the same retirement portfolio asset allocation.  As I've said before, inflation is the real problem for an eight-decade retirement, and we carry enough cash (two years) to ride out the majority of the downward volatility.  We're not going to worry about the upward volatility...

Nords, I have a non-COLA'd DB pension which covers most expenses too (for now) and so I am higher on my equity split (60-70%) than if I had no pension (~35%). I feel it is important to disclose that as important information in personal asset allocations .....but to each his/her own. A 70's type bear market would be devastating on a highly proportioned equity portfolio.

donheff said:
During one of the annuity wars threads I looked at a few annuities out of curiousity. I found some that were inflation protected up to 3%/yr for about 25X expenses. I didn't see anything that would cover serious inflation - do they exist? If so, I suspect Nord's 33x is about right.

When I researched annuities (still haven't decided), I came to the conclusion that it was better for me to buy an IA for the amount I needed today; if/when inflation started to pinch I would purchase periodic additional smaller annuities from time to time (maybe every 3-4 years) to make up the difference.

The reasons for this strategy are that it spreads the annuities among different carriers, DCAs a bit since IA rates are tied to interest rates, allows you to tailor the amounts to REAL inflation rather than some projection with a cap, and lets your money stay in stocks until you need it to add on. Also, if your investments do much better than expected, you have the option of not adding to the annuity at all for that period.

Just another approach you may wish to consider if annuities are part of your plan.

Back
Top Bottom