Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Without my employment income, my wife and I will still be able to save at minimum $4000 every month - my wife wants to work for another 10 years or so. Our net worth is closer to 2 million than 1 million. We have no debts, kids, and in all likelihood I am going to inherit a seven figure sum in the future.

Yet I find myself still fretting about leaving my job... I am starting to think it may stem from a fear of dissapointing people I care about rather than a fear of not having enough money. Whatever the case, it is a problem for me right now.
To your first point: I stopped working at age 36, shortly after we reached FI. The fact that my wife wanted to work for a while longer made my decision to remain out of the workforce that much easier. Three years later, I have no regrets. Personally, I do not spend much time worrying about the possibility of running out of money because I have so many backups built into my plan. I think that financial failure would require the kind of catastrophic event that would make us all scurry for a job.

As for disappointing people with your decision to quit your job, it's a valid concern. I struggled with it too at the beginning. Some people felt like I didn't live up to my full professional potential. It's hard to argue to the contrary. Others disapproved of my decision because it did not jibe with their values. Values are personal and I can't live my life based on other people's values. So those people will have to live with their disappointment. But I will say that this too gets better with time.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
As for disappointing people with your decision to quit your job, it's a valid concern. I struggled with it too at the beginning. Some people felt like I didn't live up to my full professional potential. It's hard to argue to the contrary. Others disapproved of my decision because it did not jibe with their values. Values are personal and I can't live my life based on other people's values. So those people will have to live with their disappointment. But I will say that this too gets better with time.
I'm sorry, but other people can suck it. They do not have to live your life, so they can STFU about how you do so. Extend them the same courtesy and call it good.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I'm sorry, but other people can suck it. They do not have to live your life, so they can STFU about how you do so. Extend them the same courtesy and call it good.
The right attitude, no doubt. Hopefully we can live by your words when you walk off the job next year!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

“I'm the one that's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.”

Old 07-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #85

I don't understand the concept of people being disappointed because you are capable of retiring early based on your success to date in your career. I can understand people being surprised, since it's clearly more the exception than the norm, but what possible reason could there be for people to be disappointed that you are successful enough in your career to not need to work any more?

It sounds like it may be jealousy more than disappointment to me.

My family was certainly surprised when I told them. But clearly not disappointed.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I don't understand the concept of people being disappointed because you are capable of retiring early based on your success to date in your career. I can understand people being surprised, since it's clearly more the exception than the norm, but what possible reason could there be for people to be disappointed that you are successful enough in your career to not need to work any more?

It sounds like it may be jealousy more than disappointment to me.

My family was certainly surprised when I told them. But clearly not disappointed.
I was a little worried what my dad would think, since he has always been very success oriented and that rubbed off on my brother and I as well. However, my parents were not too wild about it when I relocated a couple years ago and then got used to the idea. No doubt the same will happen when I bail. In any case, Have no doubt that anyone important to me will come to understand that it is better for me to break the Protestant work ethic and be happy rather than soldier on and be miserable.

- George Orwell

Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I was a little worried what my dad would think, since he has always been very success oriented and that rubbed off on my brother and I as well. However, my parents were not too wild about it when I relocated a couple years ago and then got used to the idea. No doubt the same will happen when I bail. In any case, Have no doubt that anyone important to me will come to understand that it is better for me to break the Protestant work ethic and be happy rather than soldier on and be miserable.
Interesting observation. Most of the people who were astounded when I ERd and remarked "what a waste!" we're of the Protestant persuasion. I was raised a Catholic. We are much more lazy. Definitely makes it easier to ER!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
People could be disappointed by your lack of work ethics, sinful idleness, waste of God-given talents, lack of contribution to society at large, etc... The younger you are, the more likely people are to see you as unemployed rather than retired. They might see as a drain on society.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #89

I'm feeling a religious theme here to all of this. Does religion suggest that one has to work to be worthy?

I've never been a fan of religion, so I don't pay much attention to any of it.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #90

Quote:
I'm feeling a religious theme here to all of this. Does religion suggest that one has to work to be worthy?

In that you're supposed to tithe 10% to the church, maybe. If 10% of your annual "earnings" is zero because you no longer work, I suppose the church would be upset!
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
In that you're supposed to tithe 10% to the church, maybe. If 10% of your annual "earnings" is zero because you no longer work, I suppose the church would be upset!
Maybe that's it. My devoted Catholic MIL all but accused me of being a drain on society if I retired (regardless of the fact I am completely self-sufficient financially). She also queried whether donating was part of my ER philosophy, to which I replied that not only was I willing to continue to donate as much as I currently do to charity but that I would also donate my time and effort to charitable activities from now on. She didn't have anything to say after that.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #92

"Disappointment, as uncomfortable and even painful as it can be for me and many of us, is essential and important on our journey of growth, self discovery, authenticity, and fulfillment. Making peace with disappointing others allows us to release our erroneous demands for perfection. Letting go of our fear of being disappointed by other people gives us the ability to take more risks and ask for what we truly want."

See more at: It
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
"Disappointment, as uncomfortable and even painful as it can be for me and many of us, is essential and important on our journey of growth, self discovery, authenticity, and fulfillment. Making peace with disappointing others allows us to release our erroneous demands for perfection. Letting go of our fear of being disappointed by other people gives us the ability to take more risks and ask for what we truly want."

See more at: It
Thanks for the link. I watched his Ted talk and was amazed at the story he tells about the business meeting. I found myself thinking about what I'd say in a situation like that. I went ahead and ordered his book. Even though I've probably heard it before, I like to hear this sort of message over and over again. I think I need to hear it over and over again ...
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #94

Quote:
Well, the Bible starts with a story about how we were living in a paradise where we didn't have to work, and then there was this snake and a naked chick, some questionable decisions get made, and before you know it, we were tossed out and doomed to "toil" all the days of our life. So basically, we have to work because we screwed up.

That is my rather loose interpretation, btw, which I'm only about half serious about. As with most things biblical, there are many ways to look at it.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

As an atheist, I don't pay any attention to it, either.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #96

Quote:
Does religion suggest that one has to work to be worthy?
Buddhists do not think that it is not necessary for one to be engaged in the work force of agriculture or business in order to be considered productive.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Interesting observation. Most of the people who were astounded when I ERd and remarked "what a waste!" we're of the Protestant persuasion. I was raised a Catholic. We are much more lazy. Definitely makes it easier to ER!
I am Catholic as well, but it is pretty clear that there is a strong strain of Protestantism/Puritanism in 'Merkin cuture that colors the views of everyone regardless of religion. There is a reason Merkins work the longest hours and have the least vacation in the civilized world.

- George Orwell

Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

But we Catholics do feel guilty about being lazy
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
But we Catholics do feel guilty about being lazy
Speak for yourself!
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Well, the Bible starts with a story about how we were living in a paradise where we didn't have to work, and then there was this snake and a naked chick, some questionable decisions get made, and before you know it, we were tossed out and doomed to "toil" all the days of our life. So basically, we have to work because we screwed up.

That is my rather loose interpretation, btw, which I'm only about half serious about. As with most things biblical, there are many ways to look at it.
All I know is...I'm not going to work until I drop just because some guy got tricked into eating an apple.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote