Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts about PurePoint Financial?
Old 03-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Thoughts about PurePoint Financial?

I just saw that a new online bank is on the scene - PurePoint Financial (online arm of Union Bank). https://www.purepoint.com

It has a couple of nice offerings, including a 12-month CD (1.45% APY, $10k min) and Online Savings (1.25% APY, $10k min).

Any thoughts? I wonder if this is the harbinger of increased interest rates given the current financial environment or just a new brand on the block (though part of an existing bank) looking to get new customers.
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
I just saw that a new online bank is on the scene - PurePoint Financial (online arm of Union Bank). https://www.purepoint.com

It has a couple of nice offerings, including a 12-month CD (1.45% APY, $10k min) and Online Savings (1.25% APY, $10k min).

Any thoughts? I wonder if this is the harbinger of increased interest rates given the current financial environment or just a new brand on the block (though part of an existing bank) looking to get new customers.
Hard to lose with that 1 year CD. Thanks for posting this.

Ha
Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's a good on demand rate. We have some cash at Capital 360 at 1%. Maybe worth switching?
Old 03-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah I know - I opened an Ally bank account a few months ago and was feeling pretty good about my 1%. Now I need to figure if it is worth switching and/or if Ally will up its rate a bit.
JohnnyBGoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very attractive option. Debating whether to move money over or not. Currently with Discover and Synchrony online savings but having had to settle a couple of estates, reluctant to open too many accounts for my DW to deal with. Maybe move Synchrony over.
Discover had a promo a couple of years ago offering a checking account and I find it really convenient to tap my savings by writing a check when needed, then go home and make sure sufficient funds in checking to cover by doing immediate online transfer.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do y'all really get that worked up over the difference between 1% and 1.45%? How much money are you putting in these accounts, anyway? I've got a buddy (occasional poster here) who is always trying to squeeze the last basis point out for his cash, but seriously, .45% of 100K is $450. I can beat that return by not eating out a few times in a year, or finding good coupons for the grocery store, especially since you probably have to pay tax on the interest.

I do understand that a penny saved is a penny earned, and when my CDs come due I look for the best rate available at that moment. But there's no reason I can see to be chasing savings accounts around for the best rate amongst a lot of bad choices. I see chasing savings rates as adding a lot of complications for my financial situation for a pretty miniscule return.