Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Why would you assume a drag on a DIY portfolio? The studies do not support the idea that an FA will beat a "lazy portfolio".

Many posters here who went to an FA, expecting superior performance, not only paid the 1% fee, but got put in high annual expense ratio funds that under performed a lazy portfolio.

I don't know how someone who is supposedly incapable of following a lazy portfolio is supposed to have the skill set to pick a superior FA. That's an enigma to me.

-ERD50
As I termed in "put the drag of not being invested properly if you fail at that". there are people who will not really follow their planned portfolio, but have cash for part of the equity allocation because they're scared. How many people don't understand their risk tolerance.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
My portfolio has grown 42% since December of 2012. Prior to that, for the almost 30 years I managed my accounts through my 401K and 457 and the limited choices those plans had for funds, I averaged less than half that; maybe 3 or 4%.

According to Vanguard I am up 77% over that same time period... and that includes me picking individual stocks badly... (only 19% on those picks).... without that I would be up 84%....

Sure, there is no way to compare yours and mine... your might be very conservative on purpose... but I would not look at 42% and say they did better because you feel like it... there should be proof....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The concept that grabbed me is one I had not thought about until I read it here!
If you have a WR of 4%, and a fee of 1%, the fee is taking 20% or 25% of your yearly income..
It is even worse than that. Taking 4% annually, for every $75 you get, they get $25. That means they are getting 33% of the income you are getting!

And with the high mutual fund fees on top of that, if the total fee is 1.5% then they are getting 60% of the income you are getting. For every $1M under their control, in retirement you are getting $25000 per year and they are getting $15000. And if you are not retired they are getting that $15000 per year and you are getting zip, and just lost the compounding of that $15000.

Seems to me for that kind of money, one could learn what they need to know to manage their own money. Like put it in 3 low cost mutual funds, and forget about it.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
According to Vanguard I am up 77% over that same time period... and that includes me picking individual stocks badly... (only 19% on those picks).... without that I would be up 84%....

Sure, there is no way to compare yours and mine... your might be very conservative on purpose... but I would not look at 42% and say they did better because you feel like it... there should be proof....
Yes, VERY conservative. I don't NEED growth, just stay ahead of inflation so my dollars are diluted over time. I have no idea what risk you took to get to a 77% growth rate, but I think you sell yourself short when you say it's easy and not difficult to understand and to actually follow through with what you think are wise investments. I admire you and most all the other members here for having the savvy and the confidence to self-manage.

I don't know how to 'prove' their strategy is better than mine other than comparing my historical average to theirs and weighing it against an index, which I inferred that I did do.

Anyways, the OP asked for thoughts on fees and I wanted to just toss out there that at least one person here finds solace in a reputable firm managing my life savings.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Me too.

My FA beat my benchmark by more than his fee for the last 3 years. He is worth what I pay him. Even though I'm constantly working to blow more dough he keeps making me money faster than I can spend it. My net worth continues to rise.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The concept that grabbed me is one I had not thought about until I read it here!
If you have a WR of 4%, and a fee of 1%, the fee is taking 20% or 25% of your yearly income..
That is a key point worth mentioning again.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Me too.

My FA beat my benchmark by more than his fee for the last 3 years. He is worth what I pay him. Even though I'm constantly working to blow more dough he keeps making me money faster than I can spend it. My net worth continues to rise.

Glad you and Skip are happy... as you know with other posters they are not... and there are certain firms that I think nobody should be using...

When I pass I want my DW to use Vanguard's services as she has zero clue what to do... and it will be worth the fee for her... that is if I cannot teach my son what to do over time... he is still clueless...
Old 11-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
That is a key point worth mentioning again.
With that logic, if there is no withdraw, then it's not taking anything from your income. Just stop taking draws!

You didn't consider the overall growth of the account, just the draws at 4%. If the growth, including the draws is worth at least 1% more than you would have done otherwise, it's a wash at worst and has value otherwise.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #49

Quote:
Glad you and Skip are happy... as you know with other posters they are not... and there are certain firms that I think nobody should be using...

When I pass I want my DW to use Vanguard's services as she has zero clue what to do... and it will be worth the fee for her... that is if I cannot teach my son what to do over time... he is still clueless...
But we were all told how simple managing your own funds is in the first reply to my first post here. Why does DW and son have zero clue? We were told how simple it really is to manage your own investments after all. I'm being facetious, of course, but you make my point; not everyone can grasp the concept, has the desire to, or should be trusted with the management while on a learning curve to get up to speed.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My example is I have a WR of 4% and a fee of 1% and the guy is making me 18% so my net worth is increasing at 13%.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've probably spent as much time trying to understand investing as I have engine repairs and it's still Greek to me. Investing that is, not engine repairs. ...
Then you are making it more complicated than it is. What is complicated about a 50-50 blend of a Total Stock Market ETF, and a Total Bond ETF?

Quote:
Managing my investments though, is like gambling. I never really seem to read the players at the table with me right. ...
Now you sound like poster Boho, who is trailing badly in the stock market contest thread. It doesn't have to be about beating the other players, just get in the market and take a nap.

Quote:
With investing, no one can predict future returns. ... You say it's just that easy, but it certainly isn't for people like me who worry about calling the shots on what represents decades of sweat off my brow. When I retired 5 years ago next month, and signed up for Fidelity to manage my portfolio, I was asked what my goal was. I told them I wanted to average 7% AFTER their fees. Checking yesterday, so far, they have. ...
That's interesting. As you say, no one can predict returns, so I'm curious how they responded to a "request" for 7% returns? I'd assume they did some historical analysis, and determined an AA that has met that return in the past? If they were able to meet that in the past 5 years, that is very likely more a factor of the market than any actions they took.

Link

Quote:
... My portfolio has grown 42% since December of 2012. ...
And a conservative 50-50 blend of Eq/Fixed ETs returned higher than that (54.8%).

Quote:
... Prior to that, for the almost 30 years I managed my accounts through my 401K and 457 and the limited choices those plans had for funds, I averaged less than half that; maybe 3 or 4%. ...
Well, maybe 30 years ago, you were not informed that a simple indexing strategy can do so well. But today it is so easy.

Quote:
... Security is important to me, to the point that I, as an amateur, don't feel comfortable managing something that is so important to my standard of living. ...
But if the people managing your portfolio did ~ what a 50/50 DIY blend has done, they are very likely to be taking just as much risk as that. They simply don't have any magic that will provide those returns without the associated risk.

Quote:
... Thanks for taking time to address my post. I am fortunate to have found this site and I wish I could feel comfortable managing my own investments, but it's like going to the dentist for me; terrified of the potential for pain after trying to nut through a toothache on my own. Just give me the knock-out gas and wake me gently when it's over. Ha!
And again, it seems to only because you've decided it's painful, not because it is.

Now, I see a later post your reply to Texas Proud, and I have to say you have a point - if it is so easy, his wife should be able to do it to. I plan to show Dw that this is all it takes. I'm not big on rebalancing, I can just tell her to make the RMDs from the side that is out of wack, and that's close enough. Now that's pretty easy, no?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is so true in many other areas.

A few years ago a restaurant owner in Italy explained it to me when I asked if he would like cash or a credit card? The credit card fee may only be 3% of the total bill, but it is 15% of net profit on the meal. Sometimes more depending on what was ordered. That's why I always pay cash in mom-and-pop places.

Another way to think about it is how many hours would you have to work to earn what that 1% fee is taking from you? Before taxes and after taxes . That can be scary.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Or consider it from the portfolio angle with constant income to you - say you had saved up $1,000,000 and felt comfortable with a 4% WR, providing you with $40,000.

If the FA is charging 1%, you are now withdrawing $50,000. To maintain the same 4% WR, you need $1,250,000. The FA just charged you $250,000!

And how long would it take someone to grow their portfolio from $1,000,000 to $1,250,000? Could be a long time, depending.

Not exactly, the 1% doesn't increase with inflation, and decreases if your portfolio drops (and the fees contribute to that drop!), so actual success rates aren't impacted as much as it seems at first glance - but it's still a lot of dough.

Do people really think they will screw up a lazy portfolio so bad that they will need to drop their income withdraws by 25%? I just don't see it.

EDIT/ADD: OK, ran it in FIRECalc, asking for 100% success on initial $40,000 withdraw. With default 0.18% expenses, starting portfolio must be $1,234,804. Adding 1% fee to that, 1.18% expenses, an additional $198,727 is required at the start.

-ERD50
You can lead a horse to water, but the horse just ain't thirsty!!!
VanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
You can lead a horse to water, but the horse just ain't thirsty!!!
Oh, I know. Posts like this often aren't so much for the person responding, it's to get the information out there for others to see, and evaluate on their own.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But we were all told how simple managing your own funds is in the first reply to my first post here. Why does DW and son have zero clue? We were told how simple it really is to manage your own investments after all. I'm being facetious, of course, but you make my point; not everyone can grasp the concept, has the desire to, or should be trusted with the management while on a learning curve to get up to speed.

DW is an artist... has little concept of finance at all... I could set it up in a simple portfolio and tell her to keep it the same...

DS will get it... I just have not taught him anything yet except the basics... but he is doing his own investments with the little money he has...

My point would be that most people are smart enough to handle their own finances and would be rewarded for doing so... and that if they had questions they can go to a fee only advisor once in awhile and still be ahead of the game...

But there are maybe 10% that just will not get it.... however, most of those people do not have much money...
Old 11-24-2017, 02:28 AM   #56

Quote:
DW is an artist... has little concept of finance at all... I could set it up in a simple portfolio and tell her to keep it the same...

DS will get it... I just have not taught him anything yet except the basics... but he is doing his own investments with the little money he has...

My point would be that most people are smart enough to handle their own finances and would be rewarded for doing so... and that if they had questions they can go to a fee only advisor once in awhile and still be ahead of the game...

But there are maybe 10% that just will not get it.... however, most of those people do not have much money...

I can assure you that there are many wealthy and smart people who prefer to have an FA. Otherwise how would all the FA's managing seven+ figure portfolios stay in business? It's not that their clients are too stupid or too poor to "get it." They just place a different value on the service they get than a DIY person does.

Both options are viable choices.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I can assure you that there are many wealthy and smart people who prefer to have an FA. Otherwise how would all the FA's managing seven+ figure portfolios stay in business? It's not that their clients are too stupid or too poor to "get it." They just place a different value on the service they get than a DIY person does.

Both options are viable choices.

I will agree in a way... when I was young and doing taxes there were many rich people who paid good money for tax services and also had FA... the reason is that they were very successful in their field and could make much more money doing what they did and paying someone else to handle all the other stuff...

I do get it...

But I also know that there is fear in some people... I helped out a BIL for years with taxes... he was very smart and had the ability to know what to do... he just had a phobia about it and his mind went crazy.... he was also this way in investing... I did change him for investing purposes but never for taxes...
Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
The original comment was that the fee was 0.0025% per quarter, so you need to multiply to approximate the annual amount. But the math is wrong. If you have $1MM and are assented a fee at 0.0025%, then you multiply $1MM*0.000025 = $25. You can't just drop the % sign without adjusting the number.
Thanks for the correction. The post I commented on would work out like this:

.0025% x 4 = .01%

The problem, I think, is that OP has made a mistake. I think he meant 1% (use .01 multiplier). In any event, I fear this is another topic where we don't know clearly what the OP has. I'm thinking it must be the PAS account you mentioned. $1MM x .01 =$10,000.

I wouldn't pay that yearly, either, as most have mentioned.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #59

Quote:
I will agree in a way... when I was young and doing taxes there were many rich people who paid good money for tax services and also had FA... the reason is that they were very successful in their field and could make much more money doing what they did and paying someone else to handle all the other stuff...

I do get it...

But I also know that there is fear in some people... I helped out a BIL for years with taxes... he was very smart and had the ability to know what to do... he just had a phobia about it and his mind went crazy.... he was also this way in investing... I did change him for investing purposes but never for taxes...
Indeed, I believe that many people who pay the FA, and seem to be happy with the results, are really just paying for piece of mind and hand holding.

If the setup is not transparent enough so that they see how much they are spending vs. D-I-Y then they are happy - as long as the market is giving good returns.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Me too.

But at what risk level?

I could easily beat the market during an upswing by just investing in geared/leveraged total market ETFs (ie 2x 3x).

As long as the market goes up, I will in all likelihood beat the market returns by a significant amount. Did I work harder to gain this return? (no) Do I have much more talent than the average bear? (no)

What I did was to introduce more risk into my portfolio.

Now if the market goes down over the same interval, I will take a beating relative to the market returns.

The strategy that I have described introduces significant additional risk into a portfolio vs a nominal total market index approach.

Is your FA really doing such a good job or is it really just the result of the bull market overall?

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote