Thoughts on Gold?

Oh, but you could carry relatively easily to wherever, or bury for future use (without fear of deterioration), many thousands of dollars worth of gold--which has been a means of financial transactions/trading since forever.

Try that with many thousands of dollars worth of canned food, ammunition, antibiotics, alcohol and cigarettes. ;)
If I end-up in a situation where all I have is what I can carry, I'm not so sure I'd like to prolong the agony, hehe.

If I end-up in a situation where all I have is what I can carry, I'm not so sure I'd like to prolong the agony, hehe.
But in that case, when the end comes, you won't be the hero of your life. When my life ends, I wanna be its hero!

Last edited:
Oh, but you could carry relatively easily to wherever, or bury for future use (without fear of deterioration), many thousands of dollars worth of gold--which has been a means of financial transactions/trading since forever.

Try that with many thousands of dollars worth of canned food, ammunition, antibiotics, alcohol and cigarettes. ;)

You can bury canned food/MREs, ammo and booze no problem.

But in that case, when the end comes, you won't be the hero of your life. When my life ends, I wanna be its hero!
Now that you mention it, I have had thoughts that trying to live by my wits with few resources might be kind of a cool challenge. I never quite identified with Worf and the glory to die in battle, but since I'm sort of a McGyver type, maybe TEOTWAWKI would me kinda fun. Until somebody with a big weapon that didn't need me to fix something showed-up and took my gold, booze and canned goods.

I tend to think of gold not being an investment. It doesn't have earnings. Gold does not pay interest or dividends. It's price is based on emotional factors not earnings.

Gold I feel is an item of speculation. Nothing more and nothing less.

Now that you mention it, I have had thoughts that trying to live by my wits with few resources might be kind of a cool challenge. I never quite identified with Worf and the glory to die in battle, but since I'm sort of a McGyver type, maybe TEOTWAWKI would me kinda fun. Until somebody with a big weapon that didn't need me to fix something showed-up and took my gold, booze and canned goods.

I don't have many good survival skills although I love the post apocalyptic theme for books, movies and computer games.

I figure if the Zombies, Chinese, Islamist, or Aliens take over. I am going to one of the early casualties and no amount of gold will save me. Perhaps MRE and ammo will postpone my fate for a brief period of time.

So I root for the modern world to continue and I avoid gold.

I don't have many good survival skills although I love the post apocalyptic theme for books, movies and computer games.

I figure if the Zombies, Chinese, Islamist, or Aliens take over. I am going to one of the early casualties and no amount of gold will save me. Perhaps MRE and ammo will postpone my fate for a brief period of time.

So I root for the modern world to continue and I avoid gold.

If they don't get you, the asteroid will.:facepalm:

Nice article, but I am one of those people that is allergic to gold. Can't wear anything plated, high carat value, etc or I break out with a rash.

On the other hand, DW has made it clear to me she is NOT allergic to gold, silver, precious stones, etc.
I wouldn't put too much trust in this article. She says that silver is inert. If so, why does it oxidize? And it tarnishes and that is oxidation. So in what sense is it inert?

I don't know anything about colloidal silver, but I do now that silver in various forms has turned more than one person blue for good. Gold is often alloyed with either copper or silver, it is very soft when pure.

Ha

Gold holdings were a great source of tax losses last year. :( Continue to swap around various gold stock, GLD-SGOL-IAU efts, trying to maintain position for diversification purposes, holding 5-10% in gold related.

I believe more in gold than I do the schemes of the central bankers. I don't think this QE experiment will end well.

My smart but irresponsible nephew wrote a long email to my sister urging her and my BIL to buy bitcoins to protect their retirement assets.

While reading it and discussing with my sister it occured to me that Gold and Bitcoin arguments are virtually interchangable. Although Bitcoin is much better for doing things anonymously like purchasing drugs, or trying to purchase hits on world leaders like Putin or Obama.

"I don't know anything about colloidal silver, but I do now that silver in various forms has turned more than one person blue for good."

I had a silver crown for years, never got sick. DW convinced me an enamel one would look nicer, but after replacing the silver one, I seem to catch everything going around.

Next time I need a crown, I'm going to get another silver one.

There is certainly a lot of overlap in the people that are interested in the two.

I think the big difference is that gold has been valued by people for thousands of years, so it is extremely unlikely that we will see a time when gold has no value (although I expect further declines from today's prices).

Bitcoin has a decent chance of being completely worthless a decade from now, IMO.

My smart but irresponsible nephew wrote a long email to my sister urging her and my BIL to buy bitcoins to protect their retirement assets.

While reading it and discussing with my sister it occured to me that Gold and Bitcoin arguments are virtually interchangable. Although Bitcoin is much better for doing things anonymously like purchasing drugs, or trying to purchase hits on world leaders like Putin or Obama.

My thoughts on gold: you were severely punished for owning it last year!!!:eek:

I don't invest in precious metals or commodities. Too wild for me!

Gold and bit coins are so yesterday:

If you couldn’t get behind Bitcoin, the peer-to-peer digital cryptocurrency that’s as volatile as your weird uncle when he’s 3 glasses of gin deep, perhaps Coinye West is more your style. Like Dogecoin, the digital currency stamped with the glorious face of the Internet’s favorite Shibu Inu, the soon to debut Coinye West is piggybacking off of the success of Bitcoin and creating its very own unregulated currency that they hope Kanye himself will get behind.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/02...wn-cryptocurrency-and-its-called-coinye-west/

- .... . /.--. .... --- -. . / -- .- -.-- / -... . / -.. ..- -- -... / -... ..- - / -. --- - / - .... . / ... . -.

Last edited:
Permanent Portfolio

A discussion of the merits of gold might also include a discussion of the "'Permanent Portfolio'' and fail safe investing concepts.

This type portfolio attempts to retain and grow value in a troubled world...''No matter what''.

The portfolio consists of equal amounts of equities, bonds, cash, and gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fail-Safe_Investing

Last edited:
I ran across this article, what I thought was an interesting intellectual exercise on Bitcoins.

Beware the mania for Bitcoin, the tulip of the 21st century - FT.com

Milton Friedman had a simple suggestion, arguing that the money supply should expand at a constant rate. That is a proposal on which someone of Nakamoto’s intellectual agility could no doubt have improved – for example, by increasing the rate of issuance as Bitcoin gained wider currency, or somehow making it sensitive to changing economic conditions. That could have given Bitcoin a chance of success.
But Nakamoto chose a different rule. The stock of Bitcoins – which currently stands at roughly 12m – will grow at a predetermined and gradually decreasing rate. Once there are 21m of the electronic tokens, new production will cease altogether.

-CC

That ounce of gold looks the same but has increased from about $32 to over $1200 in those 40 years.

It was regulated much of that time.

Gold was $1000 in 1980. Now it's $1240, after inflation, it's lost.

It was regulated much of that time.

Gold was $1000 in 1980. Now it's $1240, after inflation, it's lost.
Wasn't that 1980 $1,000/oz level an anomaly (speculation by a handful of manipulators)? I remember it was about $325 in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Wasn't that 1980 $1,000/oz level an anomaly (speculation by a handful of manipulators)? I remember it was about $325 in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

I think you're thinking silver.

What was the run up to $1900 then a few years ago? All I heard was it was because of fundamentals? Then it gets crushed, and it's manipulation?

Here's a pretty good chart of gold vs inflation:
InflationData: Is gold really a hedge?

But, if you're a gold bug, it's like talking religion and politics.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom