Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts on Marcus bank
Old 03-17-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thoughts on Marcus bank

I'm thinking about moving some of my cash to an online savings account at Marcus. I'm probably too paranoid, but I'm nervous about a cybertransfer to a slick website. I looked them up on FDIC and it doesn't say Marcus ... it says Goldman Sacs. Marcus says Goldman is their parent company, but scammers will go to great lengths to get my money. I don't know any other way to validate a bank other than going to the brick and mortar, of which Marcus has none.

I thought I'd see if anyone here is using Marcus. Is it legit?
Target59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It is legit. Marcus was the name of the founder of the firm - it's their "hip" bank name for the kids - less serious than Goldman Sachs don'cha know. My recollection is that they are paying about the top of interest rates on savings these days as well (around 1.5%?). It's a real bank, no idea about fees and such, but new enough and not the center of their business that probably OK. I believe that GS became a bank holding company as a result of some classification requirements in the laws post-financial crisis, and it was become a bank or get rid of a particular line of investments.
seabourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
I've had a couple hundred grand parked in it since it was GE Capital bank, then Marcus. It's a Goldman Sachs company. No problems at all. At 1.5% it's also one of the best cash rates around.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Marcus is the new brand for what was Goldman Sachs Bank, which took over from GE Capital.

They're totally legit and pay some of the highest rates I've found. You can look them up on BankRate or DepositAccounts.com.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #5

This might help..

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...man-sachs.html
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks. I've got my account set up but have been hesitant to move much money. This gives me more comfort.
Target59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:44 AM   #7

I, too, have used Marcus since is was GE. I have savings plus a CD ladder with them. I have transferred money between Marcus and BofA dozens of times with no issues.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
I, too, have used Marcus since is was GE. I have savings plus a CD ladder with them. I have transferred money between Marcus and BofA dozens of times with no issues.

Pretty much same here, but no CDs. Smooth transfers. Only downside IMO is they don't offer IRA accounts so I also use Ally.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Does Marcus have any limits on how much money we can transfer electronically each day?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Does Marcus have any limits on how much money we can transfer electronically each day?

I've pushed $50,000 from Marcus to my sticks and bricks bank without any problems several times. No experience with above that.
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I normally pull, which gets around any daily limits. Found out they do have a $1,000,000 limit on each savings account when someone paid us off on a very large loan. Not a bad or frequent problem for us.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I recently had to move a large amount of money from Marcus, and the daily limit was $125K. I cannot remember if I pulled or pushed, though.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 07:50 AM   #13

My largest was a pull from TD Ameritrade for $200k
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:07 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used Marcus for years (CDs & savings). Easy to zap the money back and forth.

You also get bragging rights that you bank with Goldman Sachs.....although its more like Goldman Sachs poor cousin....LOL.

We've kept the accounts but using Dominion Energy Reliability Investment as the rate is better.
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaMariner View Post
I've used Marcus for years (CDs & savings). Easy to zap the money back and forth.

You also get bragging rights that you bank with Goldman Sachs.....although its more like Goldman Sachs poor cousin....LOL.

We've kept the accounts but using Dominion Energy Reliability Investment as the rate is better.
I think I'll deposit some money there so I can say "I have so much money I have to split it between JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs"!
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #16

I think Marcus still has a deal that if you are an AARP member, you get an extra 0.1% interest rate on savings for 2 years. That made more of a difference in the past but still every bit helps.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote