Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts on Relative that's bad with money
Old 12-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thoughts on Relative that's bad with money

Good evening,

I have a relative that is horrible with money. Looks like this relative is going to get about $175K after another $175K goes to pay off debts (credit cards) in the next couple of months as part of an inheritance. The person is 64 years old and doesn't have 2 nickels to run together for heat and has never really had anything.

Some of the other family members who are talking to me but not each other are beginning to ask me to help this person set up this money to live off of for the rest of their life once the money is recieved. I have some initial ideas in mind but it seems very thin to me.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Thoughts on Relative that's bad with money
Old 12-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98
... ask me to help this person set up this money to live off of for the rest of their life once the money is recieved. I have some initial ideas in mind but it seems very thin to me.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Tomcat98
Have you considered introducing him/her to some high-risk hobby to reduce life expectancy?

Yeah, I know...another thin idea...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat98
set up this money to live off of for the rest of their life once the money is recieved.
1. Have him buy an immediate annuity (guaranteed income for the rest of his life).
2. Run away from this "train wreck" that is going to happen very quickly.

Good luck ...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #4

I agree 100% with Ron'Da!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #5

Create an income trust. This will protect the principle and give him a steady predictable income. Basically an annuity without the insurance aspect or commissions.

Or, if he's willing to give you control over the money, then you can give him a low-limit credit card. You pay off the balance and he gets a flexible income with a monthly cap.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb
I agree 100% with Ron'Da!
I agree 100% with running away. - Do it now! - otherwise you will get blamed when 'the plan' does not work!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:01 PM   #7

Yes it is not a good situation as our family is the haves and the have nots. My parent is the have and this sibling of my parent is the have not. Of course they both started with nothing. There is a lot of resintment there. Internal to that side of the family it is bad.

I think after a life time of bad financial habits it is going to be hard to change. My thoughts are how can I maximize income, minimal risk, try to keep principal in tacked, not to sure how I feel about the trade of of inflation over time, etc. Plus set it up where they can't blow it.

Keep em coming!

Tomcat98
Old 12-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
1. Have him buy an immediate annuity (guaranteed income for the rest of his life).
2. Run away from this "train wreck" that is going to happen very quickly.

Good luck ...

- Ron
Also agree, except I'd reverse the order...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you want to get involved, see a lawyer to find out how not to get sued later on. Then contact TIAA-CREF and USAA about pricing on an immediate annuity.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the reversal.....

YOU should not do anything... make a few suggestions like an annuity or a trust... and then let HIM do everything else... don't even ask how things are going...

Send him to a blood sucking financial advisor... he sounds like someone who SHOULD pay for one...

But, for someone who can not manage money it is best that they can not get to it at all... which leads to the annuity.. it also does not need to have any insurance component... just a plain old annuity with monthly payments... maybe even get one that adjusts with inflation...

PS... I heard of an in-law (who we don't see ever) that had gotten a settlement because her husband had died of asbestos... she ran though all the money in a little over 5 years and now is back to nothing... nobody could get her to do anything right... she kept the whole amount in a checking account because it was 'safe'...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not a fan of annuities. However, in this case (which I am very familiar) as some of my own family fit the same mold) an annuity is the only way to go. If you put it in anything else, they will without question at some point "cash it out" for something they must have it for.

Case in point. If I left my mother $175,000 in a lump sum----I GUARANTEE you she would go through it in less than a year, and have little to show for it. No words of wisdom, no education, no financial planning would make any difference in her spending. So if you care at all about this person's life, then I would direct them to an anuity that could not be cashed out.

Just an opinion from someone well versed in this subject.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:45 PM   #12

Gosh, a lot of people here don't like to help relatives. That's a personal call. Assuming you want to help, here's one other thought.

If he's as poor as you say, he's probably dependent on medicaid. Is that the case? If so, he'll lose his benefits when he gets the inheritance, and that will open up a whole new can o' worms for him (and potentially the family). Even an annuity will potentially screw him.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Gosh, a lot of people here don't like to help relatives.
Perhaps that is because they have been burned, as I have.... BADLY... on the subject of "relative & money".

Furthermore, Tomcat did not say that the inheriting relative her/himself had asked for Tomcat's input.... it was OTHER relatives who were soliciting (with who knows what kind of motives?).

Personally, I would run like the wind.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

The relative did not ask for help. I would ask first if they wanted some.

If by some remote chance they say yes, then first advise to read a few choice books. Four Pillars and Your Money or Your life come to mind. Get info on annuities and give it to them to look at. Ultimately they need to make the choice what to do with the money, not you.

My relative who knew money was coming had it spent and more before it even got to them. They "deserved" it. Still have nothing to show except a bigger mortgage, car payments and a trip they bought airline tickets for and will put lodging, food etc. on a credit card. No money in the bank at all. And they call me cheap.
savedapile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 04:48 AM   #15

I would walk away saying (substitute your own opinion): If it were me, I'd buy an immediate annuity at _____. (A reputable annuity provider that you have pre-screened)

This is a set-up for a helper to be targeted as the villain of every bad day of this person's future.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

First I'd ask him what he thinks. I assume he knew $ were coming and has probably given it some thought. This answer would probably be best gage for whether he is open to help or not. It may also tell you exactly how fast you should run away. Good luck.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #17

Looks like a lose-lose situation any way you cut it. IMHO
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #18

Hi Tomcat,

I can understand your desire to help. My mom has a sister just like your relative.

My aunt and her second husband are both still working (she's 74 and he's in his mid 60s, or so). They have no savings, spend more than they take in (which isn't a lot), and always seem to have a different car or are talking about new computer equipment or whatever.

My parents, on the other hand, retired 12 years ago at 57 and will never run out of money (not rich, just LBYMers). After my grandmother died 5 years ago, my parents started giving my aunt some money each year at Christmas. They want to help a little, but not totally enable them. They do it no strings attached, because they realize they can't change the spendthrifts' ways. But it's not enough that they feel they can just go blow it all (well, maybe they do blow it, I don't know).

I agree that a discussion with your relative is a good place to start. Will he listen? Is he open to ideas? Or will he get defensive and tell you butt out? Hopefully, he'll be willing to listen. A trust or immediate annuity might the way to go here, assuming he agrees that the goal should be to make the money last a while.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram
Perhaps that is because they have been burned, as I have.... BADLY... on the subject of "relative & money".

Furthermore, Tomcat did not say that the inheriting relative her/himself had asked for Tomcat's input.... it was OTHER relatives who were soliciting (with who knows what kind of motives?).

Personally, I would run like the wind.
Interesting how most folks assumed male. This relative is an aunt. My parent and this aunt can't really discuss money and get along due to the financial differences with the have and have not mentality. Over the years my parent has tried to help her but I think it has made it worse. My cousins don't want to see their mom in the poor house and they don't want to have to pay her bills in the long run. I am also a little concerned that everyone has their hand out when this occurs.

While this aunt has not asked for help over the years I have heard second hand that when this ever did happen she was going to ask me. I would really like to see her have some quality of life her remaining time because there is some emotional tie.

I really could see her blowing the money if it remains in her hands. I have thought about the annuity route, ladder CDs, and just depositing the interest in her account. She may want to leave some omney to pass to her two kids. No matter how you cut this it is going to be ugly.

Tomcat98

Old 12-29-2006, 07:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey
Hi Tomcat,

I can understand your desire to help. My mom has a sister just like your relative.

Or will he get defensive and tell you butt out? Hopefully, he'll be willing to listen. A trust or immediate annuity might the way to go here, assuming he agrees that the goal should be to make the money last a while.

My guess is initially defensive, then some tears, then I an screwed what do I do?

Tomcat98