Thoughts on Scott Burns....

I know many enjoy reading that financial guru known as Scott Burns (I read him regularly myself), but how in the world can he now justify his relationship with an investment firm who charges an annual fee just to put you into his "couch potato" portfolios?
If they are so easy you can do it while sitting on the couch, then why would you pay someone to watch it for you? And how can he with a straight face now declare that the only investment advisors worth working with just charge an annual fee, AFTER he makes this relationship with a fee type advisor? Isn't his entire view of not needing a financial advisor now become moot?
Am I the only one who sees a huge conflict of interest here?
All JMO, of course.

Sorry But I have to go back here. I think you are misinformed and have not really read Scott weekly or looked at his site. Yes he is in the registered investment advisor business; but he is not offering his "couch potato" portfolios. He is using Mean Variance Optimization with DFA Funds to offer risk managed portfolios for people who are not do-it-yourself-ers. The only connection between AssetBuilders and the couch potato is the "buy and hold" strategy. (Plus he still has all the information for the do-it-yourself crowd on his couch potato portfolios)
AssetBuilder Inc. - Registered Investment Advisor- Our Approach to Investing

Second if you read the forums it says Scott is not running the day to day business and I DO read Scott weekly (twice a week actually) and I have never heard him mention AssetBuilder. So therefore I believe he is not advertising to his readers and selling out.

And as LOL! said there are a lot of people who can't and do not want to do MVO by themselves (me being included) so Scott's firm handles that for them. I think thats a great service to offer. And I too commend Scott for doing it.

I think Finance Dude meant we know more (about money) than 95% of the population. Because God I hope after all these years I know more than twice as much as the average American. The average American pretty much knows nothing and twice of nothing ain't much.

I really have no problems with Scott Burn's is doing. It seems to me the first rule in investment is to do nothing stupid. Investing 50% of your money in Vanguard Total Bond Market and 50% in the Total Stock Market (couch potato portfolio) may not be optimal, but it isn't stupid. Likewise giving 100% of your money to DFA advisors may not be brilliant but it isn't stupid.

I'm disappointed he didn't go with a fixed fee scheme. Asset Builder should be compensated for the time they spend on a client's account, not the value of the numbers they are typing into the computer.

I recently posted a rant on the Fool about Burns. He, of the book "The Coming Generational Storm" fame, apparently had a change of heart and said, in a recent article, that basically Social Security will be there for you. Possibly, but what about the unfunded liability of the government(s) that is, roughly, 75% of everything we already own?

...basically Social Security will be there for you. Possibly, but what about the unfunded liability of the government(s) that is, roughly, 75% of everything we already own?
Don't worry, most of the world is more f****d up then us :D. It's all relative.

Yes, Scott still does post the do-it-yourself Vanguard stuff.

By the way, you must have a minimum of $2 million US to join their parade, so I am not going to lose any sleep worrying about their customers.

Web sites ain't free to run. Try it some time.

Gypsy

Sorry But I have to go back here. I think you are misinformed and have not really read Scott weekly or looked at his site. Yes he is in the registered investment advisor business; but he is not offering his "couch potato" portfolios. He is using Mean Variance Optimization with DFA Funds to offer risk managed portfolios for people who are not do-it-yourself-ers. The only connection between AssetBuilders and the couch potato is the "buy and hold" strategy. (Plus he still has all the information for the do-it-yourself crowd on his couch potato portfolios)
AssetBuilder Inc. - Registered Investment Advisor- Our Approach to Investing

Second if you read the forums it says Scott is not running the day to day business and I DO read Scott weekly (twice a week actually) and I have never heard him mention AssetBuilder. So therefore I believe he is not advertising to his readers and selling out.

And as LOL! said there are a lot of people who can't and do not want to do MVO by themselves (me being included) so Scott's firm handles that for them. I think thats a great service to offer. And I too commend Scott for doing it.

I wondered how long it would take before someone from Assetbuilder posted on here. I know Scott reads this board because he's the reason I first came here.
First off, I learned about Assetbuilder via Scott's articles, so somewhere he must have stated his association. Secondly, this is from the Assetbuilder website...

Smart allocation: We go a step beyond “naïve” diversification. We use a technique called “mean variance optimization” that helps us get the highest return for the least risk from any given group of asset classes. Smart allocation is the most difficult step because it involves both rocket science and art. And that’s where we think we can add some real value with pre-constructed, risk-measured portfolios. Lots of people can divide by two, three, four, or five to produce a Couch Potato Building Block portfolio. But optimizing requires more work. With it, we can produce near equity market returns with lower risk.

So I guess I am a tad confused. Obviously to even refer to the "couch potato" method on a website they must have Scott's approval, so now I guess we can assume Scott has realized that his suggested method to millions of readers was folly? Scott has finally deduced (what investment professionals have contested for years)that investing is more difficult than merely dividing by two or three? So, now that he's associated with a firm, he recognizes the value of investment advice? Well how convenient for Scott.

I wondered how long it would take before someone from Assetbuilder posted on here. I know Scott reads this board because he's the reason I first came here.
First off, I learned about Assetbuilder via Scott's articles, so somewhere he must have stated his association. Secondly, this is from the Assetbuilder website...

Smart allocation: We go a step beyond “naïve” diversification. We use a technique called “mean variance optimization” that helps us get the highest return for the least risk from any given group of asset classes. Smart allocation is the most difficult step because it involves both rocket science and art. And that’s where we think we can add some real value with pre-constructed, risk-measured portfolios. Lots of people can divide by two, three, four, or five to produce a Couch Potato Building Block portfolio. But optimizing requires more work. With it, we can produce near equity market returns with lower risk.

So I guess I am a tad confused. Obviously to even refer to the "couch potato" method on a website they must have Scott's approval, so now I guess we can assume Scott has realized that his suggested method to millions of readers was folly? Scott has finally deduced (what investment professionals have contested for years)that investing is more difficult than merely dividing by two or three? So, now that he's associated with a firm, he recognizes the value of investment advice? Well how convenient for Scott.

Well I'll let Scott and/or the Asset Builder folks defend themself but...

My take on that the couch potato and other similar DIY portfolio (.e.g Coffee House) that utlize Vanguard index funds or ETF is they provide superior performance for the vast majority of investors than actively managed funds and/or a financial planner. Historically DFA is a very rare (maybe even unique) exception to the rule about semi-active investing beating passive investing, probably be the focus is on increasing risk-adjusted returns.

The debate then comes down to is the performance of DFA funds enough to outweigh the fees. Opinions vary on this.

I think I'll just order 5 or 6 more gold eagles from the coin dealer after my latest check clears...

-- Pedorrero, whose menagerie consists of a gerbil, three cats, Eagles, Maple Leaves, and perhaps a Colt to ward off unwelcome visitors.

Huh? Look at their fee schedule
AssetBuilder Inc. - Registered Investment Advisor- AssetBuilder Fees

Quote for AssetBuilder :"We are currently only accepting accounts with at least $50,000."

Have you even read his site?

I could make that fee structure work well for me, but I am not going to commit millions to DFA and pay big money to go to their boot camp and suffer through due diligence for a year..........:D

I personally would do this for accounts only $100,000 and above, but it appears you can set up whatever you want.

Taking the DFA investment piece out of it, the fee structure is quite doable in the independent advisor platform like I am in.

It would be harder to implement at firms like Merrill Lynch and Edward Jones because the margins are smaller and they need to pay a lot more expensive salaries..........:D

I know saluki9 uses them, he's at a wealth management firm and that's the kind of firms DFA caters too..........but the commitment is large for smaller guys like me........;)

but I am not going to commit millions to DFA and pay big money to go to their boot camp and suffer through due diligence for a year

I REALLY wish DFA would offer ETF versions of their funds ala Vanguard. That would truly be the best of both worlds.

I think the reason for the indoctrination is to maintain low turnover and not market-time - that benefits all of DFA's clients. They are a very smart shop, and their risk-adjusted returns speak for themselves.

I REALLY wish DFA would offer ETF versions of their funds ala Vanguard. That would truly be the best of both worlds.

I think the reason for the indoctrination is to maintain low turnover and not market-time - that benefits all of DFA's clients. They are a very smart shop, and their risk-adjusted returns speak for themselves.
I suspect DFA's business model relies heavily on affiliation with financial planners, and doing this would erode that business relationship. I would imagine a lot of financial planners would lose a lot of business and be less willing to peddle DFA funds as a result.

Could be wrong, though.

Absolutely.

There are a number of DFA planners who are calling for DFA to do this though. It would allow DFA to offer its passive funds to a larger market without incurring the lack of control and turnover.

This would actually make it much easier for planners to do their clients right.

I think I'll just order 5 or 6 more gold eagles from the coin dealer after my latest check clears...

-- Pedorrero, whose menagerie consists of a gerbil, three cats, Eagles, Maple Leaves, and perhaps a Colt to ward off unwelcome visitors.

Historically, gold has been one of the worst investments you could ever make.

Historically, gold has been one of the worst investments you could ever make.

Sage advice from a market-timer :)

From some of your other posts here, I'd think that you would have strong feelings about holding gold when your crystal ball told you to!

That is good advice though (about not holding gold).

That's not their business model. Offering it to the FA as a value-added option is the model. Creating a cheaper version of that through an ETF model with lower expenses would reduce the margins for DFA and the firms that offer them. Anybody think that's going to happen??

Right now I can offer clients the Vanguard ETF's through my discount brokerage platform and buy ETF's for my clients through Vanguard for a flat discount fee per trade. I can also use them in our managed accounts where clients pay an annual fee. To this point, other ETF companies are offering better customer service support than Vanguard is, and there's a LONG discussion of that in recent past on this very board.

I do not expect anyone on this board to understand why my ETF business is not with Vanguard at this point in time, but that is another thread for another day.........;)

Sage advice from a market-timer :)

From some of your other posts here, I'd think that you would have strong feelings about holding gold when your crystal ball told you to!

That is good advice though (about not holding gold).

Hey, there's a place for gold ( a very small place). OPGSX has been huge for me lately. However, to hear someone come on here now and say they plan to go buy more gold coins, when gold is near an all time high (which goes back quite some years), makes me feel there is need to offer caution.
Just to clarify my stance, I am a long term buy quality person with most of my portfolio, but I have no problem taking a portion and buying based on technicals with some stocks or options.

Absolutely.

There are a number of DFA planners who are calling for DFA to do this though. It would allow DFA to offer its passive funds to a larger market without incurring the lack of control and turnover.

It also would dilute DFA's competivie advantage as having a niche product that noone has access to unless you get certified with DFA.

Anyone of you who worked in a competitive industry where your company or you marketed a product that was unique and different can see the huge potential of having that edge. Why dilute the process to the masses? Maybe in DFA's mind, the "average investor" doesn't deserve it............:eek:

You're right - its probably wishful thinking.

Right now I can offer clients the Vanguard ETF's through my discount brokerage platform and buy ETF's for my clients through Vanguard for a flat discount fee per trade. I can also use them in our managed accounts where clients pay an annual fee. To this point, other ETF companies are offering better customer service support than Vanguard is, and there's a LONG discussion of that in recent past on this very board.

Funny - it seems I'm often disagreeing with you, but in this case I agree. Not a fan of Vanguard's brokerage, and I think there are much more compelling ETF options out there than what VG offers. For example - I wish VG would use different indices for some of their funds / etfs that would better target small or value companies (DFA excels here).

I haven't used their cust. support so I can't comment on that.

This would actually make it much easier for planners to do their clients right.

Just to clarify, you appear to be saying that DFA should do this so they can give everyone and their brother access to the funds. Quite honestly, they don't want or need to replicate the Vanguard business model.........;)

Funny - it seems I'm often disagreeing with you, but in this case I agree. Not a fan of Vanguard's brokerage, and I think there are much more compelling ETF options out there than what VG offers. For example - I wish VG would use different indices for some of their funds / etfs that would better target small or value companies (DFA excels here).

They reason we often disagree is that I am in the industry, and am more directly affected by what's going on. My clients have asked about DFA, and if there's enough interest that builds, either my partner or I will do the DFA certification and have the ability to put millions of dollars in it.

There is a LOT of unseen due diligence that goes along with it, along with a Compliance piece that would bore all of you to tears in how the broker-dealer is monitored by DFA to make sure protocols are followed........they are quite anal.........:D

What is "right" for the client is a subjective opinion that is NOT always a reflection of price. If it were, there would not be nearly a TRILLION dollars in hedge funds, an investment which I find has a somewhat dubious internal expense structure.........:D

Anyone of you who worked in a competitive industry where your company or you marketed a product that was unique and different can see the huge potential of having that edge. Why dilute the process to the masses? Maybe in DFA's mind, the "average investor" doesn't deserve it............:eek:

Any salesman, or sales exec for that matter has wet dreams over the mere hint that they might get hold of a product with a unique and easily demonstrated sell points. Like, WOW, what happened?? This product is actually better, and it's all mine!!

Ha

Back
Top Bottom