Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Largo
Posts: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Block has excellent training and is probably one of the better national tax prep firms as compared to Liberty and JH. That said they all take advantage and rip off the poor and unsuspecting.
+1 on the quality of the training.
__________________

__________________
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 11:15 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,531
Thanks all for pointing out VITA. Looks like this may be a way for me to get my brain stimulation with less commitment than a j*b.

It will be worth investigating.
__________________

__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Thanks all for pointing out VITA. Looks like this may be a way for me to get my brain stimulation with less commitment than a j*b.

It will be worth investigating.
Also look at AARP TaxAide. Similar program aimed at seniors. I think they are under the same oversight by IRS as VITA and use the same training materials.
__________________
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Also look at AARP TaxAide. Similar program aimed at seniors. I think they are under the same oversight by IRS as VITA and use the same training materials.

That is correct as we have a person at our site that works both at VITA and at the AARP/TCE site.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
For the people who are doing commercial tax preparation such as HR Block, why would you quit a corporate job that must have paid enough to allow you to at least semi-retire, and start doing a low paid but still fairly stressful and time consuming job like tax prep? Posters have even remarked on intense office politics in these jobs, I would imagine trying to get more and better hours and the more lucrative clients.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:15 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For the people who are doing commercial tax preparation such as HR Block, why would you quit a corporate job that must have paid enough to allow you to at least semi-retire, and start doing a low paid but still fairly stressful and time consuming job like tax prep? Posters have even remarked on intense office politics in these jobs, I would imagine trying to get more and better hours and the more lucrative clients.

Ha
Good question.
1) It helps you prepare your own taxes / helps with finances. Turbo tax will not tell you everything. One example is that if you have unused tax deductions, you can use them up by doing a roth conversion. This is especially true when you through the ACA into the mix.

2) You help others. It is a service that people are happy to utilize for many reasons. This is especially true in the less prosperous areas like the one I live in.

3) It gets one out to meet people. This is especially good in these parts during the winter tax season.

4) You make some money. The marginal utility of these dollars is greater on a per dollar basis than if you make more. Earned income enables certain tax advantages and could also bring the unemployment insurance windfall (but not for me).

I started out at VITA and had office politics problems. Block is better. Good franchise owners.
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #87
Full time employment: Posting here.
Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 782
My current job (8 days left before ER) does not allow PT work or reduced hours. And I'm tired of megacorp BS and don't want to participate in the upcoming restructure AKA laying off my managers.

I'm investigating this option since it is only 31/2 months employment (during crap weather) and will allow me to keep my mind sharp and earn a few bucks for "frivolous spending". If I don't like it, I will quit. Advantage of FI.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Also look at AARP TaxAide. Similar program aimed at seniors. I think they are under the same oversight by IRS as VITA and use the same training materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Good question.
1) It helps you prepare your own taxes / helps with finances. Turbo tax will not tell you everything. One example is that if you have unused tax deductions, you can use them up by doing a roth conversion. This is especially true when you through the ACA into the mix.

2) You help others. It is a service that people are happy to utilize for many reasons. This is especially true in the less prosperous areas like the one I live in.

3) It gets one out to meet people. This is especially good in these parts during the winter tax season.

4) You make some money. The marginal utility of these dollars is greater on a per dollar basis than if you make more. Earned income enables certain tax advantages and could also bring the unemployment insurance windfall (but not for me).

I started out at VITA and had office politics problems. Where I work a Block is better. Good franchise owners.
All good points and I never really felt that tax prep was all that stressful, more of a challenge.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: clearwater
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Good question.
1) It helps you prepare your own taxes / helps with finances. Turbo tax will not tell you everything. One example is that if you have unused tax deductions, you can use them up by doing a roth conversion. This is especially true when you through the ACA into the mix.

2) You help others. It is a service that people are happy to utilize for many reasons. This is especially true in the less prosperous areas like the one I live in.

3) It gets one out to meet people. This is especially good in these parts during the winter tax season.

4) You make some money. The marginal utility of these dollars is greater on a per dollar basis than if you make more. Earned income enables certain tax advantages and could also bring the unemployment insurance windfall (but not for me).

I started out at VITA and had office politics problems. Block is better. Good franchise owners.
#1
__________________
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #90
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
frayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: 19th Hole
Posts: 2,535
One of the other things I really disliked about Block is they partnered with Ameriprise and we were suppose to guide clients their way. Something I never did in the five years that I worked for them.
__________________
A totally unblemished life is only for saints.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
One of the other things I really disliked about Block is they partnered with Ameriprise and we were suppose to guide clients their way. Something I never did in the five years that I worked for them.
Hard to put a positive spin on that. The Ameriprise reference thing is kind of non-functional where I work so that is good.
The good outweighs the bad for me, so far.
__________________
Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
For the people who are doing commercial tax preparation such as HR Block, why would you quit a corporate job that must have paid enough to allow you to at least semi-retire, and start doing a low paid but still fairly stressful and time consuming job like tax prep? Posters have even remarked on intense office politics in these jobs, I would imagine trying to get more and better hours and the more lucrative clients.

Ha
I doubt anybody quits a corporate job and goes to work for Block thinking it will be more lucrative to work at Block. Normally, people quit mega-corp (for many reasons) and then look for something to do later. Tax prep is one of those areas that you can work when you want and it's seasonal so you can have 3/4 of the year to do other things. It's no different than quitting mega-corp and volunteering somewhere, or substitute teaching. Same idea.

I made easily 10 times more (per hour) at my old Fortune 20 company - with great benefits. BUT, after 30 years, I'd had enough of the game playing. Wouldn't go back if they doubled my old pay. At Block, I set my own hours, don't get involved in politics, and basically do my own thing. I enjoy doing taxes and meeting with my clients (most of them anyway).

I remember my first year at Block and the new District Manager told me the dress code required men to wear a tie. I said "that's not happening - did that for too many years". Like I said, I just let any of the negative stuff roll off me. If it gets bad, I'll quit. Very few people that work at Block need the money other than maybe a little extra spending money. I use my earnings to take a nice family vacation each year.
__________________
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Hard to put a positive spin on that. The Ameriprise reference thing is kind of non-functional where I work so that is good.
The good outweighs the bad for me, so far.
I don't think Ameriprise is a partner of Block anymore. I didn't steer a single client their way in 5 years and got no pressure to do so.
__________________
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: clearwater
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
I don't think Ameriprise is a partner of Block anymore. I didn't steer a single client their way in 5 years and got no pressure to do so.
I never did either, nor was there any pressure to do so. When they first sold off HR Block financials we were told of the partnership, and indeed a visit or two was paid to our office by Ameriprise, who then left their business cards. That was it.
__________________

__________________
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun with tax return preparation... socca FIRE and Money 2 04-17-2009 08:39 AM
Free tax preparation software ikubak FIRE and Money 10 01-25-2009 04:59 AM
Tax Preparation Business ferco Other topics 10 09-05-2008 08:58 AM
Trust/Will Preparation? OldAgePensioner Other topics 11 11-01-2005 09:38 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.