Join Early Retirement Today

Thoughts to start off 2015
Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thoughts to start off 2015

Dear FIRE friends,

I came across these two quotes today and thought I would share them as a kind of inspiration/re-affirmation for what we are all about. Replace "Man" with "Mankind" in the first one so that we include all FIRE friends.

"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama

"Money can buy a house, but not a home. It can buy a bed, but not sleep. It can buy a clock, but not time. It can buy a book, but not knowledge. It can buy blood, but not health, so you see; money is not everything in life."
- Unknown

Wishing us all a happy and healthy new year and enough money to allow us focus on the things that truly matter.

-BB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I like these Thanks for sharing.
ChicagoGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

"Nobody said on their death bed they wish they had spent more time at work"

"Enjoy your life and retirement, if you don't your heirs will"

"Work to live, don't live to work"

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Take this job and shove it"
- Johnny Paycheck
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #5

Nice quotes, Bryan. Thanks for sharing!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ran across this on FB a few months ago. It's a one-size-fits-all message.
I have it posted in my kitchen so I see it everyday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SnoopyCharliePeacefulLife.jpg (434.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #7

"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

"Never confuse your career with your life" - Dave Barry.

That one really changed my attitude at work about 15 years ago. Too many people define themselves by their career - and don't have a life outside of their career.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #9

I agree with all of the above as they apply to those who have/had discretionary income and chose whether or not to live below their means. But it's also important to remember that this is not a choice for many people in the US, and probably a majority of the people on the globe. They need every penny they earn just to support themselves and their families, and "discretionary income" doesn't enter the picture.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Roger, very good reminder. We are all extraordinarily lucky to have been born at all -- in that sense we won the truly big lottery. Then, those of us who can even contemplate the possibility of retiring early, even given all our own hard work, sacrifice, and discipline, are yet extraordinarily lucky indeed.

Thanks.

-BB
Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #11

Not much to add to what Dalai Lama said. It's so true to many of us.

As for me, it's time for "Don't Worry, Be Happy" made famous by Bobby McFerrin. Splurge while I can, and make the best of OMY.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art-write or draw, or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself. -Neil Gaiman
retirementguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
This one has been pinned at my work for a few years.getting closer every day!
mtheulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post

Wishing us all a happy and healthy new year and enough money to allow us focus on the things that truly matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheulen View Post
This one has been pinned at my work for a few years.getting closer every day!
Thought provoking quote and pleasant sentiment, but the Dalai Lama never said it. Most research strongly suggests the original message was penned by the late James (Jim) Brown – pen name James J. Lachard, it's an excerpt from his unpublished "An Interview with God." FWIW

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, dalai lama, health, money, quotation