Three questions for you veterans (of this forum)

I can't believe you are all being so nice and giving him an executive summary.
Everyone shares that info but I don't see how he has learned anything on his own if he hasn't seen that already.
Yeah, well, when I chew out posters for not doing their homework I get called a curmudgeon.

In general, new posters on this board do not read old posts, do not search for keywords on popular topics, and are surprised to learn that somebody else has already asked their questions. I suspect it's been this way on every [-]BBS[/-] discussion board since ARPANET first went live and one of the engineers had a question about logging in...

Yeah, well, when I chew out posters for not doing their homework I get called a curmudgeon.

In general, new posters on this board do not read old posts, do not search for keywords on popular topics, and are surprised to learn that somebody else has already asked their questions. I suspect it's been this way on every [-]BBS[/-] discussion board since ARPANET first went live and one of the engineers had a question about logging in...

It goes further back than that, Nords. Think cave drawings. Lots of them are very similar, aren't they?:LOL:

Mbunga, me want make fire. How you do?

1) 90/0/10. Switching to 70/20/10 in two years.
2) Yes, to a degree. Median portfolio will be 70/20/10, but after a long bull it would be something like 40/50/10. After a long drop and with the first hint of recovery, 90/0/10.
3) 2020

1. What's your asset allocation?
80/15/5 (stock/bond {int}/REIT).

2. Do you plan to modify as you and/or your significant other get older?
Plan to increase bond allocation ~2% each year until retirement in ~9 years. That will result in 60/35/5 (stock/bond/REIT). Bonds are currently all intermediate term; will start to mix in short term so that at the 35% allocation I'll have 1/2 intermediate and 1/2 short term. I'll likely hold this for some time after retirement.

3. Time to retirement? or, retired, how long?
2021 or sooner; already put my retirement date in my w*rk Outlook calendar for 59 1/2!

I consider my military retirement (in 9 years) to be similar to a fixed income bond investment. Therefore my reasoning is that I can take some extra risk with stocks.

lemming/Nords,
Even being a newbie, I did do a little homework and searching the forum; what I found I wanted to re-confirm with the senior members. AA is a little like asking how many stars there are in the heavens, even the financial experts don't agree. Though, there seems to be a minor consensus near the 60% equity range.

Personally, I am currently at 70/25/5 and about 3-5 years out from FIRE. I think I'll reduce my eguity exposure to approximately 110-my age at retirement and then rebalance once each year and bump my short term monies a little bit. I like to have a financial rule; that keeps me from chasing the market, I tend to be a bit unlucky doing that. I'm also a bit conservative, so I may keep a couple of years cash on hand. Yes, I know, it won't make my any income. But, I need some type of a binky and thats it, unless someone can change my mind.

Thanks everyone for their input.
:cool:

1) 25/75
2) Will vary, but doubt I will become more aggressive.
3) Retired in 2007 at the age of 52.

1) ballpark 25% stocks, 25% bonds, 25% cash, 25% rental real eastate
2) will change AA in the future, no sure what to though
3) retired 3 years ago at age 51.

Hi and welcome.

1. Give or take, 75% equity funds and 25% bond fund.
2. Most certainly.
3. Will be 60 in October and I retired in September 2011. Wife will be 58 in October and just retired in June 2012. 401k and 2 smaller pots are essentially extras for us, meaning not needed to make daily living expenses (hence being a little more aggressive in funds; that and our age). Plus, liquid savings account could meet monthly expenses for 2 years.

I have a pension that meets our spending needs and full family medical from employer.

• 100% Cash/Fixed Income
  • Not till things change in the country from a financial perspective
  • Retired in 2003, worked from Home since 2006, DW works full time (for Healthcare). Ages: 58/53 Respectively.
Planning on retiring for good soon. Still woried about inclome though. Even though we own our home Annual expenses still top $25k for essentials. Will start another thread for some advise. And Yes we are scared stiff of losing ANY capital, so Wuss' would be an understatement.

SWR

Target AA is 50/50 but right now it's 45/55/5
I do plan to go more conservative as we age
In our 5th year of retirement

Welcome to the board.
Hmmm, let's see....

1) I'm somewhere around 60/40
2) I might go a bit more conservative (maybe to 50/50) but I'm happy where I'm at right now.
3) Had about a 25 month "sabbatical" which started in june of 2009, but working full time right now. 42 yo, would like to pull plug in 2015 after all the ppaca stuff settles out.

10% equities ,60% CDs, 30% Ibonds
Continuing to add to portfolio even though retired. I live on a pension that more than covers my needs, thus the very conservative set up. Thinking about dumping 30k into a local bank I read that offers the 3% high interest checking by jumping through the hoops. Yes, I have a taste for the low hanging fruit but thats $900 easy money!

1. DW and I both 65
2. DW retired 10+ yrs. 6+ yrs for me.
3. AA = 55/43/2. Equities dominated by TSM. Fixed dominated by municipal funds.
4. SS and pension = approx 50% of our budget.

1. DW 64, I am 62
2. DW retired 6 years ago, I retired 4 years ago
3. AA is 50 equities, 40 fixed 10 cash , DWs IRA is in Wellesley, our Roths are VG balanced index, my 401K type fund (TSP) is in index funds, 20% of portfolio is in a trading account with various stocks, ETFs, & bonds.
4. Federal & state retirements cover 100% of survival costs and 2/3 of expenditures, the 1/3 comes from investments and provides travel funds and other 'enhancements'.

Not exactly a frequent flier type forum veteran, but still pop in occasionally. :D

1. What's your asset allocation?
27/68/5 per M* portfolio tracker
30/70 is my target AA

2. So you plan to modify as you and/or your significant other get older?
Age 53 y 10 m. Widowed.
I have my AA set very conservatively for my age. Sleep is a good thing.
I believe I shall leave it just were it is right now.

3. Time to retirement? or, retired, how long?
Fired 2007 at age 48.
5 year anniversary was April 1, 2012. ;)

1. What's your asset allocation? Currently 56/44.
2. So you plan to modify as you and/or your significant other get older? Yes. We are targeting 60/40 (+/- 5%) for the next few years and then we will probably reduce equity exposure very gradually.
3. Time to retirement? or, retired, how long? I am retired as of 2/29/12. DW is working for a while longer. Both DW and I are age 45.

Back
Top Bottom