Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
How would you gentlemen feel if I started referring to men, in general, as testosterone-crazed rapists? Would you not feel somewhat offended? You should.
what's testosterone

j/k yes I'd be offended
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The issue is stereotyping.

How would you gentlemen feel if I started referring to men, in general, as testosterone-crazed rapists? Would you not feel somewhat offended? You should.
That is as interesting comparison, and a sexist look at our criminal justice system.

This thread and my opinion about a thrifty girls options, compared to a thrifty guys options, is not sexist. If you think it is sexist, you are putting your western opinions over much of the rest of the worlds opinions. If you would say a guy can always work a hard labor construction job, that is just as sexist.

I am sure you will agree with the statistics that women on average, make less than men. Women make only 77% of what a guy makes are some numbers I have heard.

On a random hetero basis, that means that a guy will marry a woman making 23% less money, and a girl will marry a guy making 23% more. Comparing the two people, this girl and the guy from the other thread, the girl stands a better chance of getting a higher level of financial stability by getting married or living with a male. Either way, the girl stands a better chance to improve her condition.

People, both men and women, live with the others for financial stability all the time. If instead of getting a “sugar daddy”, I would have said she can marry a financially stable guy if she needs to, that would somehow be better? Or she can fall in love with a European shipping magnate, become a trophy wife, and live happily ever after, if her financial situation goes awry.

Or I could have said she could get a job and put in 40 hours a week working away her hours… Is that any less being pimped out as a worker for a fortune 500 company than a trophy wife?

People make financial decisions all the time and get involved, get married or not, based on finances. I would guess that most people include or exclude individuals based on some sort of criteria initially.

You could even argue the fact the women live longer than men is a sexist allocation of healthcare resources...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The issue is stereotyping.

That would offend me if you implied I was a rapist.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

FWIW! My reaction to the article was to wonder how long it would last before this 30-something would wish for home comforts and return to the US to resume the practice of law.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I don't think she is living on $1500 a month while seeing those places. There is no substance to that claim in the puff piece. Maybe a one/two bedroom condo in suburban Chicago. But not much of an article then.

Young women can be pole dancers and young men can be waiters, but such discussions do not belong here.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ahhh. ER. The place to come to see sexist comments and snide remarks about those who ER.

At least not in the way that they ERed.

<mod edit>
Old 07-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I don't think she is living on $1500 a month while seeing those places. There is no substance to that claim in the puff piece. Maybe a one/two bedroom condo in suburban Chicago. But not much of an article then.

I'm also skeptical, but it might be possible, depending on where she visits. Looking at Airbnb, you can find lodging for $500 for four weeks in Rio/Thailand/Netherlands. Keep food/travel costs low and you're good.

I doubt it's sustainable. Eventually you'll get burned out and want to stay longer. But even then, if she picked a place like Chiang Mai, she'd be able to live comfortably off of $1500/month and have a good community of expats.

Plus, she also has blog revenue. She could do the nomadic traveling with the blog for a few years and let her portfolio grow while she makes/saves more money. When she really stops, she'll probably find that she can afford to spend more.

At that point, she might even want to settle down. She could end up like Jeremy and Winnie from gocrackercurry.

All in all, not a bad life.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 AM   #28

Quote:

Young women can be pole dancers and young men can be waiters, but such discussions do not belong here.

Traveling the world can be done cheaply if you try.

There are youth hostels all over the place. How about a Eurail pass? Cook your own food. Do your own laundry in a sink. We did this on a cruise and we did this in Iceland. In Iceland the sink was too small so I used a gallon sized plastic bag for socks and underwear.

Iceland is expensive. Many young people were camping and hitchhiking their way around the country. We ended up buying bread mustard and meat in stores rather than subject ourselves to daily pricey restaurant meals. Two weeks ago in Reykjavik I woke up at 4AM to a conversation on the sidewalk outside our hotel, peered out and saw two young men with fishing poles and a plastic grocery store bag carrying enough fish for two days of meals walking up the street. I'm sure they did this frequently.

Regarding the sexism in some of the comments, I agree they have no place here. Sugar Daddy? Really? From what century did that come from?

We women here in this forum pride ourselves on our independence and own financial savvy, just as the men do. And every other way we divide ourselves up. So clearly does the lawyer in the article. Depending on another person for our survival is just not in the cards for us FIRE folks, whatever our age and gender. It is not financially INDEPENDENT.

Senator, please walk back the comments. Who but you cares if she is attractive? Very few physically fit people under age 35 are unattractive. So what? Are you suggesting that a lawyer who can command a high six figure salary lower herself to trading sex for financial support she doesn't need? That makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #29

Geez, let's not be over sensitive. I'm a 58 YO female and am getting a bit fatigued with how careful everyone has to be in speaking and writing. I put up with a lot of "sexist" remarks while working as a waitress at 16 and then working in many male dominated jobs throughout my career. I felt it helped me to grow a thicker skin and become a better judge of people. I'm equally comfortable with men and women.

As far as the articles being compared, I believe they will both be back in the workplace at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
There are many advantages a woman man has over a guy woman in this situation. If $24K is not enough, s he can always get a sugar daddy become a gigolo. At least for the next ~12 years or so.
Fixed it for you. Now it's offensive to the other gender.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Budeeya budeeya budeeya...
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Actually, I don't find that offensive at all. And that's the inherent fault with subjective generalizations.

But back on topic - I'm sure she's able to do what she's currently doing on $2K a month. How long she'll be able to continue doing it without encountering one or more of life's many unpredictable expenses is uncertain.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Article is published in the UK daily mail!

I wonder how many of those pictures of her in exotic places have been Photoshopped?

(nah, just believe those British tabloid papers!)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Ward View Post
Actually, I don't find that offensive at all. And that's the inherent fault with subjective generalizations.

But back on topic - I'm sure she's able to do what she's currently doing on $2K a month. How long she'll be able to continue doing it without encountering one or more of life's many unpredictable expenses is uncertain.

I agree Looking...I didn't view it as offensive either (ya, ok, Im a guy my opinion doesn't matter). But your key point was "subjective generalization" which I think has considerable merit to it.
So put me on the Gallows with Senator where I rightfully belong....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
If it was that easy for a guy, I do not think women would have near the competition in the work force. We would be doing that from day one, as soon as we turned 18...

Quote:
I agree. And criticizing women or men who do those professions does not either. When you think these positions degrade a person, it degrades all of the people that have chosen those professions. Although that was not what I suggested.

I know a girl that works ~6 hours a week, and makes ~$90K a year. Mostly tax free...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I agree Looking...I didn't view it as offensive either (ya, ok, Im a guy my opinion doesn't matter). But your key point was "subjective generalization" which I think has considerable merit to it.
So put me on the Gallows with Senator where I rightfully belong....
Don't worry about it Mulligan, the mods will be along shortly to put a swine finish to this thread.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Closed Thread