Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used DIY Tax the past two years and was fairly happy with it. I’m not remotely a tax expert, and the schedule C thanks to DH managing a few jobs here and there was a struggle but getting better.
Totally free for both Fed and State, I always mail to the feds and file online with the state.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 11:27 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read this BBB review from 2016. ("FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website)"

https://www.bbb.org/utah/business-re...wtype=negative

Quote:
If you're retired, as I am, taxhawk will not e-file your Federal taxes, as it's all zeros. No big deal. However, they also will not e-file your State taxes if they don't e-file you Federal taxes. Unfortunately, they don't make you aware of this until AFTER you pay them. It seems fraudulent and predatory, considering these stipulations are NOT clearly mentioned before you pay them. After it's all said and done, the Returns that you print off all say "SELF-PREPARED" which is clearly a lie, as I just paid them to 'prepare' it.
Other reviews also complain that they didn't e-file. And if their software makes a mistake, the "SELF-PREPARED" notice sounds like it would get them off the hook and increase your liability, if they're still printing that on the forms. Also, I expect to be partially self-employed and a previous post says:

Quote:
I don't think it handled the self employment insurance deduction and ACA Premium Tax Credit properly (it's super confusing and requires an iterative loop to get the right value)
If that's true then it's not right for me.

I rejected TT because I wanted to file for an extension and it wasn't clear that what I was filling out would eventually lead to the option, plus their search didn't help. It just gave me their phone number. Still, I guess I'll reconsider them because I'm seeing bad things about every other company I considered so far.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #23

For those of you looking for a free tax return, let me put in a plug for the AARP Tax Foundation. Trained and tested volunteers will prepare your federal, state, and local (at some sites) returns at no cost to you.

The program is geared toward senior citizens and low- to moderate-income taxpayers, but we do not turn anyone away unless their return is out of scope. For example, we can’t do rental properties, businesses that carry inventory, or businesses that have a net loss. We routinely handle itemized deductions, capital gains, Schedule C income, and ACA calculations.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post

I rejected TT because I wanted to file for an extension and it wasn't clear that what I was filling out would eventually lead to the option, plus their search didn't help. It just gave me their phone number. Still, I guess I'll reconsider them because I'm seeing bad things about every other company I considered so far.
I know I waited a bit long but I was ready to take care of my tax return with TurboTax and discovered it's no longer listed among the Free File software companies. So now...do I go to the TurboTax website and try to confirm that I could still use it for free or assume I can't and chose one of those that are listed? This is the kind of thing that makes me procrastinate but I better decide and take care of it.

I saved April's version of https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...nsion-for-free because I may procrastinate but I'm good at documentation:

Quote:
You can use any of the following Free File software companies to prepare and e-file an extension for free.

This applies only for filing an extension. If you want to use Free File Software to file your return, your adjusted gross income cannot exceed $66,000. For those above $66,000, use Free File Fillable Forms.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...nsion-for-free

The providers are not listed in any particular order

1040NOW.NET
No age or residency restrictions.

Free TaxACT® Free File

TaxSlayer

Free Tax Return.com

FileYourTaxes.com

1040.com Free File Edition

TurboTax ® All Free (SM)

FreeTaxUSA® Totally Free

Online Taxes at OLT.com

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 17-Apr-2018
And this is the current version that excludes TurboTax:

Quote:
Can I still use Free File?

Yes, you can! If you got an extension or you still need to e-file your 2017 federal return, you can use Free File to prepare and e-file your return for free.

You can use any of the following Free File software companies to prepare and e-file an extension for free.

This applies only for filing an extension. If you want to use Free File Software to file your return, your adjusted gross income cannot exceed $66,000. For those above $66,000, use Free File Fillable Forms.

The providers are not listed in any particular order

1040NOW.NET

FileYourTaxes.com

TaxSlayer

Free TaxACT® Free File - Processing Extensions for Foreign Filers Only

Online Taxes at OLT.com

FreeTaxUSA® Totally Free

Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 01-Jul-2018
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
For those of you looking for a free tax return, let me put in a plug for the AARP Tax Foundation. Trained and tested volunteers will prepare your federal, state, and local (at some sites) returns at no cost to you.

The program is geared toward senior citizens and low- to moderate-income taxpayers, but we do not turn anyone away unless their return is out of scope. For example, we can’t do rental properties, businesses that carry inventory, or businesses that have a net loss. We routinely handle itemized deductions, capital gains, Schedule C income, and ACA calculations.
Way to go Philliefan!
I have been volunteering preparing taxes through the AARP Tax Foundation for a number of tears. It is free!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

How about those not so mobile senior citizens in assisted living?
Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
As a generalization, if you are in assisted living, you do not have enough income to file.
YMMV
Old 09-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
As a generalization, if you are in assisted living, you do not have enough income to file.
YMMV
Excuse me? How does that work? Assisted living has nothing to do with income.

My Dad still has SS and Pension income, income from renting farm land and income from investments.

He can't drive anymore and moved to assisted living. At this moment my brother comes down a couple of times in April and ferries stuff over to Dad's accountant and I think last time signed the return for him.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #29

I'm glad this topic came up as my Mom moved into an assisted living facility this year. She has paid very little in income taxes since my Dad died(I prepare her return). I have been assuming that for 2018, I would not need to file for her as the cost of her Assisted Living would become part of her medical expense deduction, wiping out her income and any tax liability. Am I mistaken? If I'm wrong, I'll need to file. The liability would be diminimus, but I wouldn't want to make a mistake by not filing.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-30-2018, 07:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Question
How much do you have to make to file taxes — What is the minimum income to file taxes?
Answer
The minimum income amount depends on your filing status and age. In 2017, for example, the minimum for single filing status if under age 65 is $10,400. If your income is below that threshold, you generally do not need to file a federal tax return. Review the full list below for other filing statuses and ages.

Single filing status:
$10,400 if under age 65
$11,950 if age 65 or older
Married filing jointly:
$20,800 if both spouses under age 65
$22,050 if one spouse under age 65 and one age 65 or older
$23,300 if both spouses age 65 or older
Married filing separately — $4,050 for all ages
Head of household:
$13,400 if under age 65
$14,950 if age 65 or older
Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child:
$16,750 if under age 65
$18,000 if age 65 or older
You might also be required to file for other reasons, such as if you’re self-employed or paid on a 1099-MISC form, or bought health insurance from a state or federal marketplace. If you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return, separate filing thresholds apply. Please see IRS Publication 501 for additional information.

Do I Have to File Taxes? — Additional Considerations
If you need deductions to wipe out taxable income, then you will need to file.
Other requirement also apply, like if you have capital gains.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
If you need deductions to wipe out taxable income, then you will need to file.
Other requirement also apply, like if you have capital gains.
It looks like some of the medical portion of her monthly expenses will be deductible if they are over 7.5% of her income. There seems to be a reference also to dementia patients, qualifying for more than just the medical part of the monthly fee. And as the previous poster mentioned I'll still need to file. Now my question is - how does one go about finding out the amounts that do qualify as medical, or custodial in the case of dementia. I've got some digging to do, but I suspect these costs will eliminate the small tax liability that she has.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

That will vary by location. Local coordinators set up sites to serve the community. Our main location is the local senior center so we get a lot of clients who routinely visit there. Others come specifically for their taxes. Some clients are brought in by caregivers (family or paid).

We also do a few “one day” sites, for example at a large rent-subsidized apartment building. Most residents there do not have enough income to be required to file federally, but having a 1040 makes it easier to meet the requirements for some social programs in PA. So we set up in the common room and help the residents fill out their 1040 and the PA rent rebate forms.

I know some LC’s in the county have one-day sites in assisted living facilities, with evening hours to make it more convenient for a family member to attend and help the taxpayer.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That will vary by location. Local coordinators set up sites to serve the community. Our main location is the local senior center so we get a lot of clients who routinely visit there. Others come specifically for their taxes. Some clients are brought in by caregivers (family or paid).

We also do a few “one day” sites, for example at a large rent-subsidized apartment building. Most residents there do not have enough income to be required to file federally, but having a 1040 makes it easier to meet the requirements for some social programs in PA. So we set up in the common room and help the residents fill out their 1040 and the PA rent rebate forms.

I know some LC’s in the county have one-day sites in assisted living facilities, with evening hours to make it more convenient for a family member to attend and help the taxpayer.
Thanks.

At least half of the residents in Dad's assisted living are reasonably able bodied and of reasonably sound mind, they are just past the point where they can live on their own and generally don't go out or drive somewhere by themselves. But with meals and housekeeping are otherwise mostly able to care for themselves. It's not a Medicare type facility - the residents must be reasonably well off, so I expect all of them have to file taxes. In my Dad's case, he is still sharp, but he is frail, has difficulty walking, and even his hands don't work that well anymore so writing is getting to be a chore.

It's gotten to a point where Dad really doesn't want to go anywhere. Getting into and out of a car is an ordeal. Since he has a long-time tax preparer we've been able to manage it - my brother who lives 2 hours away deals with taking docs to the preparer, it's really a bit much for Dad to mail them, and I who manage most of his expenses (but I do not receive his tax statements) am able to clarify most things by email.

I've wondered for myself in the future. At some point I may need to deal with a tax preparer to either come to me or I'll need to get them the docs somehow. Heck, maybe I can hire a courier or something.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #34

I am a brute-force, do-it-myself and file through the mail person. I use the pdf fillable forms, print them out and then if I owe, mail on 15 April, if they owe, mail on 1 Jan. I've done this for years now and have had some fairly complex filing situations (living overseas, pension income, dividends, interest, self-employed, moving, etc).

It helps me see the shenanigans of the IRS and the form builders; I also see some of the special giveaways and how they play games with math. Most of the time, I'm pretty close on my estimates and during the year I try to work it so I'm in a situation at the end of the year where I owe them as I'm not a fan of giving my governments interest-free loans.

The other issue I've found is the tax preparation software handles the average cases but any situations that are a bit odd, they crap-out and I would end up having to do it myself anyway.

YMMV - it depends on the person and their tolerance for this type of activity.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I am a brute-force, do-it-myself and file through the mail person. I use the pdf fillable forms, print them out and then if I owe, mail on 15 April, if they owe, mail on 1 Jan. I've done this for years now and have had some fairly complex filing situations (living overseas, pension income, dividends, interest, self-employed, moving, etc).

It helps me see the shenanigans of the IRS and the form builders; I also see some of the special giveaways and how they play games with math. Most of the time, I'm pretty close on my estimates and during the year I try to work it so I'm in a situation at the end of the year where I owe them as I'm not a fan of giving my governments interest-free loans.

The other issue I've found is the tax preparation software handles the average cases but any situations that are a bit odd, they crap-out and I would end up having to do it myself anyway.

YMMV
- it depends on the person and their tolerance for this type of activity.
You are correct about that. i have been using tax software at home and with the AARP tax help program. I am good at math, but looking at the Social Security worksheet makes my eyes cross
Old 02-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just tried using FreeTaxUSA for the 1st time and also give it a thumbs up.

I would say that the interface in FreeTax is probably a bit easier to use and it is free to file Federal taxes. It yielded the same results as Turbo Tax.

I have been using Turbo Tax for years, but now I am not sure why. I believe TT handles the circular reference for ACA better, but I could manually do it in FreeTaxUSA. Will probably save the $60 per year from now on and use this.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I just tried using FreeTaxUSA for the 1st time and also give it a thumbs up.
I just ran into it the other day when I had to reconstruct DS’s 2014 return. It does seem easy and effective. I’m trying it on my own along side TT this year. We have to file a bit of self employment income in two states so it will be interesting to see how it compares.
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #38

Get TT for free as have enough in Fidelity. Have no desire to change after using it for at least 30 years.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been using TaxAct for a number of years, but last year the price was significantly higher (it used to be pretty close to free). Last year I used Free Tax USA, and was pleased. I will use it again this year.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:58 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just efiled with FreeTaxUSA.com for the second year in a row (online).

Nice interface, and because they had last year's return, lots of things were ready to fill in, with the values for last year displayed for comparison.

Recommended.
Do you know if Business return can be done on FreeTaxUSA for $0 ?
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote