Join Early Retirement Today

TIAA Annuity any experience?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

TIAA Annuity any experience?

I'm considering adding another annuity to my fixed income stream to cover needs in retirement. A Roth IRA I have at TIAA offers an annuity that claims a 6% or so payout and no fees. From the literature I received, the 6% is based on return of principal plus interest. I don't have one of those legacy accounts, it was opened in 2010, I believe.

I would still have 250K or so in 401Ks in Vanguard. This is just the final part of that fixed income stool I'm trying to cover.

Anyone here take a TIAA annuity and notice things in the process that I might need to stay aware of? Thank you for any information, appreciate the help!

Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apologies. No help here. I have observed annuities are not wildly popular here (FWIW, I'm no fan either; that could change based on age and/or interest rates).

Is the contract the size of a post card or is it dozens of pages? If the latter, buyer beware.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Badger...
Old 09-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest a look at this forum, which is specifically about TIAA:
TIAA Funds
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't know about these, thanks!!
Old 09-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All you are doing is buying a SPIA from TIAA that will be within the Roth.

How old are you? According to immediateannuities.com a SPIA for a 65 yo male from NY would pay 6.7% payout rate.

You might want to look at immediateannuities.com and Vanguard to see if the 6% is competitive before pulling the trigger.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks PB... I am 60. I did look at Vanguard, since they have so mich of my corporate 401k. Unfortunately, it seemed to me that they shift you out to all the usual players, the same as immediateannuities.com. I thought TIAA might be more reliable than that list of vendors, considering it's nonprofit status.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

story from NYT last year on TIAA pushing clients fears to sell proprietary funds. ie: high cost funds. A bit at the bottom of the article on immediate annuities

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/y...tiaa-403b.html
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Had no idea about TIAA... read this article and another one linked to it. !! Jeez. Thank you!

I had noticed that the fees on fund choices were higher than Vanguard, which surprised me. As an individual IRA holder, now I understand why. And now I need to call them today and ask them if I can even withdraw a lump sum as an option instead of an annuity, or if I am forced into a 10-year payoff. When I've done other investigation about the TIAA annuity, I noticed that others remarked on how impossible it is to completely understand it the TIAA Traditional accounts. And these stories verified this issue. Criminey.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Fwiw, after reviewing the references from forum members, I stopped my Roth IRA contributions to TIAA and opened a FIDO Roth to take all future contributions. May move the whole TIAA account there instead. Am working through more analysis on that. So thank you to everyone!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had about $155,000 at TIAA-Cref (old name) from a job I held for 3 years in the 80s. TIAA money could only be withdrawn over 10 years. It was a small amount of money so I just transferred it all to a 10 year payout annuity that earns 4% on the balance each year and deferred SS to age 70. It has gone smoothly and ends in two more years. There is currently about $35,000 left in the account. I have received a little over $152,000 so far.

Everything has gone smoothly with the TIAA product. I don't know about people's experience with other annuity products.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I had about $155,000 at TIAA-Cref (old name) from a job I held for 3 years in the 80s. TIAA money could only be withdrawn over 10 years. It was a small amount of money so I just transferred it all to a 10 year payout annuity that earns 4% on the balance each year and deferred SS to age 70. It has gone smoothly and ends in two more years. There is currently about $35,000 left in the account. I have received a little over $152,000 so far.

Everything has gone smoothly with the TIAA product. I don't know about people's experience with other annuity products.
Yes, that's my next conversation with them. Am I under of the 10 year pay out rule? Regardless, Glad to hear that your withdrawal went smoothly Tadpole