Join Early Retirement Today

TIAA-Cref retail mutual funds
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TIAA-Cref retail mutual funds

I know Vanguard and Fidelity have good index fund options, but what about
TIAA-Cref index funds? The fees are low and as they are indexed the returns
will be similar to every other index fund.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TIAA-Cref retail mutual funds
Old 04-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a bad choice, just fewer options than VG or fido offer.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

IMHO TC is a good company. They have been around a long time and they are "member owned" so they do not have the conflict of interest most mutual fund companies have and they have low costs. But you still have to look as to whether a particular fund suits you. And TC is trying to be more competitive with other companies so they are introducing more funds and their low costs may go up a bit. I tend to like VG but I certainly would consider TC as I strongly believe costs matter.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #4

M* Fund Times, 4/18: "California's 529 plan is firing TIAA-CREF and replacing it with Fidelity, according to published reports. The move makes sense as TIAA-CREF's actively managed funds have been unimpressive and its index funds cost more than those offered by Fidelity. In addition, TIAA-CREF has moved to raise its expense ratios, while Fidelity has cut those of some of its index funds and bond funds."

Old 04-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Those stinkers at TIAA!!

I have had all my 403b there for 30+ years...I am now 60 years old and I am going to transfer the whole thing to Vanguard...a few points difference was not worth it but now it looks like they are almost twice Vanguard for their bread and butter Index and Money Market funds...I sent them an email that told them they have lost my business as I saw no reason to raise rates that much...

Good buy to an old friend, but business is business....Ted
Old 04-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #6

Quote:
I am going to transfer the whole thing to Vanguard
don't be rash.* though the expenses are greater, since you're in a 403b you have access to their TIAA Traditional and the TIAA Realestate account (variable annuity) which have no Vanguard equivalent (for that matter, no widely available equivalent anywhere). And compared to most other fund companies, their offerings are not unattractive. Again, don't be rash -- carefully consider all aspects.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have funds at both. (I spent a stint as a university professor). TC acts more like the adminstration, and pays their employees more than VG, so its reflected in the fees. I moved all but 10% to VG, but there are a couple of funds at T that merit staying in. If you have to choose, its VG without any question. They are the low cost high value provider IMHO.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I WISH I had access to TIAA-CREF in my 403b (my personal funds are all in Vanguard or Fidelity) but my 403b only has %$@@* choices with lots of fees attached. We've tried to get some better choices in, but most people don't seem to care (because they haven't taken the time to understand). Sigh. Oh well. Be thankful for what you've got!!!! I am always so impressed when I read these postings - most people on this board really know their stuff and understand what a huge difference a percentage (or 2) can make in the long run.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

The majority of my money is with Vanguard but I do have one TIAA-CREF fund and I have been happy with them. They opened their retail mutual funds about the time of the dot com crash and because of that I don't think they attracted as much money as they originally hoped for and I think that is one of the reason why their expenses (particularly for some funds) are a bit higher.

Of course I also have accounts at Fidelity, Dodge and Cox, and TR Price and I have been satisfied with all of them. I think that I must be a low maintenance customer.

MB