Join Early Retirement Today

TIAA-CREF sucks!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

TIAA-CREF sucks!

I'm pretty pissed off right now with TIAA-CREF and annoyed with Vanguard. Here's the situation.

Last year I moved some after tax mutual funds from TC to Vanguard. I moved then "in kind" so that the TC funds were held in a Vanguard brokerage account and then I sold the funds and bought Vanguard funds. I did this because both TC and Vanguard said it was the easiest way and TC assured me that all my cost basis information would transfer too. As I was also rolling over an IRA I thought ok let the companies so it.

Well its ok to do this for IRAs, but not for after tax mutual funds, because guess what, TC did not transfer that cost basis info and now say they have no way of working out my 1099-B for the sale of the TC funds at Vanguard. Also Vanguard cannot do this. They have sent me a 1099-B that shows the proceeds of the sale, but no taxable gains etc. If I had just accepted this and did my taxes looks like I could avoid the capital gains tax..........

Well I'm too sensible to try that one so now I'm left going through 7 years of accounts to replicate the numbers I'd have if I'd simply sold the TC funds, got a check and bought Vanguard.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: TIAA-CREF sucks!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my main pet peeves with the system............the fact that the mutual funds HAVE the cost basis, but don't HAVE to transfer it............

If you don't use a spreadsheet or Quicken or something to track your cost basis, it's a lot of work to do. I have come to understand the IRS accepts an "average" cost per share, but I would check on the IRS website for the rules on it...................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have no sympathy for you. Many of us were investing in mutual fund and reinvesting distributions before there were PCs and almost before there were electronic calculators. It is only in recent years that fund companies kept track of cost basis for you. 7 years is almost old enough to not have the fund company track things for you anyways. Also, why would you trust what the company told you anyways?

Everyone here has kept annual statements from the day they were born. Going over them is something retirees have long enjoyed doing before there was sudoku. It keeps your brain sharp. OTOH, studies show that complaining on message boards shortens your life.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I have no sympathy for you. Many of us were investing in mutual fund and reinvesting distributions before there were PCs and almost before there were electronic calculators. It is only in recent years that fund companies kept track of cost basis for you. 7 years is almost old enough to not have the fund company track things for you anyways. Also, why would you trust what the company told you anyways?

Everyone here has kept annual statements from the day they were born. Going over them is something retirees have long enjoyed doing before there was sudoku. It keeps your brain sharp. OTOH, studies show that complaining on message boards shortens your life.
Well I've gone back over my statements and I've just finished typing the transactions into excel and calculating the gains etc that I'll enter on the Schedule D. Its an inconvenience, but I'm mostly annoyed at the possibility that something like this can happen. I used to do DRIPS so I'm a fastidious record keeper. I used to use Quicken, but got away from it when I consolidated in mutual funds.

The next thing will be the inevitable questions from the IRS as to why my Schedule D doesn't agree with my 1099-B

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 02-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

TIAA-CREF sent me a printout of all my transactions (in an after-tax
mutual fund account) so I'd at least have the info on record. I was
like "can you send that to me in electronic form ?" so that I could at
least paste it into Excel, and the answer was "no".

Incredibly, in an account I recently annuitized from a TIAA-CREF
retirement account, it is not possible to view the amounts on the
website AT ALL. The only option is to have them read out to you
on the phone, or perhaps they could send them in written form.

Vanguard is a little spastic in this regard too. I opened an account
there after I had already bought VWAHX in Schwab, so I moved the
VWAHX over. I cannot get Vanguard to record any basis for it.

Schwab OTOH allows you to specfiy a basis (for amounts transferred
TO them) and will put it into their system. You can also, if push comes
to shove, print a "History" and paste it into Excel. Schwab seems to
me to be by far the most advanced website-wise.

P.S. ER'ing recently, I turned off all my DRIPs, in order to start taking
income and so that basis calculations would be simpler in my senile
years.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by none
Well I've gone back over my statements and I've just finished typing the transactions into excel and calculating the gains etc that I'll enter on the Schedule D. Its an inconvenience, but I'm mostly annoyed at the possibility that something like this can happen. I used to do DRIPS so I'm a fastidious record keeper. I used to use Quicken, but got away from it when I consolidated in mutual funds.

The next thing will be the inevitable questions from the IRS as to why my Schedule D doesn't agree with my 1099-B
None..... I think you are not doing things right on your tax return...

The 1099 B is the gross sales price... it would be the same from EITHER company... They are required to tell you your SALES, not your gain...

If you only put down your gain, I am surprised the IRS has not been knocking on your door earlier..
Old 02-05-2007, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
None..... I think you are not doing things right on your tax return...

The 1099 B is the gross sales price... it would be the same from EITHER company... They are required to tell you your SALES, not your gain...

If you only put down your gain, I am surprised the IRS has not been knocking on your door earlier..
I don't think I explained myself completely.

The Vanguard 1099-B has the proceeds from the sale, but as they didn't have any cost basis information form TC the long and short term capital gains boxes have zero in them. So what I'm doing is calculating my cost basis back to 2001 by adding up all my purchases. I'm doing this sepearatly for shares held more than and less than a year to calculate the long and short term capital gains so I can fill out my Schedule D

Old 02-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What is with all of this blame the victim stuff?? I have been dumping money into various funds for years and don't have exhaustive records. I thought that mutual funds were supposed to be able to tell you the cost as long as you use the average cost method. Am I wrong about that?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I had TIAA Mutual funds also and did the same process as you back in 2005. We lost the cost basis info also. We contacted TIAA and they did send a detailed transaction history for each fund. (No eletronic data). We had to take that and compute the average cost basis. It was a pain in the a** but at least we could do it. At least it was just a one time thing for us.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I thought that mutual funds were supposed to be able to tell you the cost as long as you use the average cost method. Am I wrong about that?
could be! i believe they do it as a service to the fundholder, not as a requirement ... and i know (the hard way) that not all fund companies do it, and/or only if a fund was opened after they began that service.
Quote:
So what I'm doing is calculating my cost basis back to 2001 by adding up all my purchases.
don't forget to add any distributions that were reinvested.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
could be! i believe they do it as a service to the fundholder, not as a requirement ... and i know (the hard way) that not all fund companies do it, and/or only if a fund was opened after they began that service. don't forget to add any distributions that were reinvested.
I had dividends that were reinvested, but I thought that my cost basis would just be the actual purchases I made, do I include dividends along with my purchases in the cost basis?

Old 02-05-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Assuming you bought new shares with the dividends, then each of these must be recorded as a new purchase (that is, a new set of shares with their own cost basis).
Old 02-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had dividends that were reinvested, but I thought that my cost basis would just be the actual purchases I made, do I include dividends along with my purchases in the cost basis?
In your taxable accounts, your reinvested dividends (and/or reinvested capital gains) represent additional purchases of shares at the then current share price. So, yes, they add to the cost basis, same as any other shares you may have purchased along the way.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think I explained myself completely.

The Vanguard 1099-B has the proceeds from the sale, but as they didn't have any cost basis information form TC the long and short term capital gains boxes have zero in them. So what I'm doing is calculating my cost basis back to 2001 by adding up all my purchases. I'm doing this sepearatly for shares held more than and less than a year to calculate the long and short term capital gains so I can fill out my Schedule D
Maybe I am not being clear either..... that information you are talking about does NOT get on a 1099 B.... you might be looking at the Vanguard sales report that does give you the gain amounts, but it is not on a 1099 B
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe I am not being clear either..... that information you are talking about does NOT get on a 1099 B.... you might be looking at the Vanguard sales report that does give you the gain amounts, but it is not on a 1099 B
IS it reported by the fund company on some other form? If it isn't reported anywhere by the fund company how can IRS check? If it is reported then WTF wouldn't the fund company provide the info to us?
Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Yes sorry, the 1099-B comes through showing the proceeds and there is generally a cost statement attached that shows the gains. Its the latter that Vanguard carn't generate as TIAA-CREF didn't transfer my historical transaction information.

I had a brain fart about the reinvested dividends and cost basis. obviously they get added in, the real bummer is that I had a small amount of money in the Bond Plus fund that generates reinvested income every month.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
IS it reported by the fund company on some other form? If it isn't reported anywhere by the fund company how can IRS check? If it is reported then WTF wouldn't the fund company provide the info to us?
They didn't send the correct accounting to me as Vanguard doesn't know the cost basis and TC washed their hands of my funds once I transfered them to Vanguard. TC will provide print outs of all the transactions if you don't have the records so you can compute the gains yourself. But this seems to be an opportunity to try to defraud the IRS as neither vanguard or TC have reported any gains to the IRS. Of course its up to the tax payer to make sure its all computed correctly, but an unscrupulous person might try to declare zero gains.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

This is why I dont reinvest the dividends and gains...ever!

BTW, even vanguard funds you buy directly from vanguard and sell with vanguard dont always include all the cost basis/gains information. Last two years I've had to go back to my purchase sheets and figure it out myself.

THATS stupid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford
TIAA-CREF sent me a printout of all my transactions (in an after-tax
mutual fund account) so I'd at least have the info on record. I was
like "can you send that to me in electronic form ?" so that I could at
least paste it into Excel, and the answer was "no".

Incredibly, in an account I recently annuitized from a TIAA-CREF
retirement account, it is not possible to view the amounts on the
website AT ALL. The only option is to have them read out to you
on the phone, or perhaps they could send them in written form.

Vanguard is a little spastic in this regard too. I opened an account
there after I had already bought VWAHX in Schwab, so I moved the
VWAHX over. I cannot get Vanguard to record any basis for it.

Schwab OTOH allows you to specfiy a basis (for amounts transferred
TO them) and will put it into their system. You can also, if push comes
to shove, print a "History" and paste it into Excel. Schwab seems to
me to be by far the most advanced website-wise.

P.S. ER'ing recently, I turned off all my DRIPs, in order to start taking
income and so that basis calculations would be simpler in my senile
years.

There is one way to get mutual frun transaction electronically and that's just to cut the transaction history form the website and paste it into excel. the bogus thing with TIAA-CREF is that they only show the latest 80 transactions.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM   #20

Quote:
the bogus thing with TIAA-CREF is that they only show the latest 80 transactions.
... there are some fund companies that give you no access at all. 'spose we should expect them to do all the calculations and pay the tax too?