Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am doing that now... It still seems slow. 81 days left...

LOL! I am starting to do a lot of "field work" out of the office. ;0)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:37 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Useless and had been? How about hopeful and looking forward. This is not the end, it's the beginning of something.
You don't have to say anything. Just smile and leave them thinking.

Yes I am hopeful and looking forward to what's ahead. I was referring to work issues and the way it feels being (at least it seems) sidestepped at times. Sorry I wasn't clear.
I like the idea of just grinning and not saying anything to "the question"! Next one to ask gets that response! Love it.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have 72 days left -- I will give my notice in 3 weeks. I decided not to give a lot of notice as I saw some co-workers in lead positions like mine give 7 - 8 months of notice and they were no longer included in many of our meetings and their opinions less valued etc. essentially sidetracked. Their time really began to drag. I have spent the last 8 months (when I decided) making sure my department is at its very best and my employees cared for well. Also, I have taken on mentoring a couple of the younger ones in our organization who I see as having great potential. Time is still dragging for me though - thinking that will improve when I give notice.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Just starting my third week of retirement. Headed to the golf course in a few minutes I gave a ton of notice due to the nature of my job. The last few months I really wound down. I had to re-program my mind that others would be making the decisions that I was used to making. I let my ego go and by the last month I refused to go to any boring meetings that were not absolutely critical. By the end they hardly knew I was there.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:16 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

877,000 seconds left! ;0)

Old 05-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been off the rolls almost one year and I still cant believe how quickly time flies by when your time is not spoken for. Every time someone discusses doing something on Wednesday vs. Thursday or Tuesday, I just shrug and tell them I really don't keep track of the days of the week anymore, but my schedule is flexible!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I wish I had 72 X ? days of work left. I worked for 34 years and retired in 1988. Now that I'm 80 years old, retired for 28 years, growing more feeble by the day, having to give up golf, spending more and more time at the doctor's office, etc. I wish I was back at work again and just thinking about retirement. Don't wish your life away. You might be like me and wishing you could do it all over again. It's hell getting old.
Looking back on it, would you have retired at 52 if you had to do it all over again? When I read your post that was the first thing that came to my mind.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I wish I had 72 X ? days of work left. I worked for 34 years and retired in 1988. Now that I'm 80 years old, retired for 28 years, growing more feeble by the day, having to give up golf, spending more and more time at the doctor's office, etc. I wish I was back at work again and just thinking about retirement. Don't wish your life away. You might be like me and wishing you could do it all over again. It's hell getting old.
Amazing. I think this is the only post I've ever seen where some one actually expresses the wish to have spent more time at the office when the time comes to look back and review one's life.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Amazing. I think this is the only post I've ever seen where some one actually expresses the wish to have spent more time at the office when the time comes to look back and review one's life.

Hmmm, that's not how I read Johnnie's post at all. I read it as him wishing he was at the eve of his retirement again, and still enjoying relative youth and good health.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:16 AM   #50

tick, tick, tick...nine work days left
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So, at least time hasn't stopped (yet).
Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Take off the cuffs, take a little more risk, walk in with a swagger every day and pretend you are just starting again, remember when it was fun? When you were going to set the place on fire? Then in 72 days walk out of there and make them wonder what just happened and how they could have let you go.

Oops, I see from your avatar that perhaps my reference to setting the place on fire is misplaced
Old 05-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't see counting down the remaining days until retirement as "wishing life away", I think of it as an awareness of where the milestones are. No different than tracking the dollar amount of the portfolio or when the mortgage is paid.

BTW 117 days 14 hours 49 minutes for me.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what to say to the OP. But the thread title reminds me of the lyrics of a love song.

"Time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much..."

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #55

Having only 41 days left (counting today), I can sympathize. There are two holidays and a bunch of weekends in there too.

Next milestone, June 23, to get my 1,000 hours in for the additional year of pension. 832 in so far.

Already have a couple of trips planned. And a bunch of home improvement projects...

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote