Join Early Retirement Today

Time lag between Fed rate hike and CD rates
Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Time lag between Fed rate hike and CD rates

Is there a general rule of thumb as to how long it takes a Fed Interest rate increase to trickle down to higher CD rates? I realize nothing is instant with these rate changes but a few local banks in my area have had rates around 2.90% on 18 month CD's for a couple of months now and I'm sort of hoping to at least hit the 3% mark on an up coming CD I have.

Not looking for a longer period which I know comes with higher rates.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The markets (and thus banks) don't believe rates are going to continue to rise despite what the Fed said, so they are pulling back rates, not raising them... Some are even forecasting rate cuts in 2019, so banks seem to be "rounding the corner" down.

An example from Goldman Sachs
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ront-end-curve
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

vanguard is offering 3% on 3 year cd's. earlier last year I was able to get 3.25% on a 3 year from them. I agree that it looks like a retreat for interest rates, but that kind of argues to me that we really don't have much of a liquidity issue
Old 01-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, I guess that shouldn't surprise me.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:45 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The FOMC only controls the overnight rate. Rates on treasuries, CDs and money markets are set by markets.

They don't necessarily move in lockstep with each other.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote