Join Early Retirement Today

Time to Acknowledge the Doom & Gloomers?
Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Time to Acknowledge the Doom & Gloomers?

Do we need to take a moment to acknowledge the doom and gloomers who we generally ridiculed over the last year or two?

For example, this post from NewGuy88 last March:

I know I know doom and gloom newguy, But things really are about to hit the fan in a big ugly way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Do we need to take a moment to acknowledge the doom and gloomers who we generally ridiculed over the last year or two?

For example, this post from NewGuy88 last March:

I know I know doom and gloom newguy, But things really are about to hit the fan in a big ugly way.
I am not sure he was referring to the market or the Presidential election..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, that's it. Let's all throw in the towels. The sooner, the better. Isn't that called capitulation?

Then, next week we can all buy back our stocks, and live happily, well not forever, but till the end of our life. I am in.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Even a broken clock...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #6

I think it's a matter of degree. They seemed to act as if something worse than the 1930s was coming, and we're far, far away from that, even if it doesn't feel like that now.

As I've said in those threads before, every time they predict financial apocalypse they could be right, but the track record of such doomsayer is rather terrible. Pitchers in baseball tend to be terrible hitters, but that doesn't mean they won't get a hit once in a while...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I do remember a lot of worried posts over the past three years being responded to with something like, "people always think 'this time it's different' but we've been through this before, and it's not different." I have to say I think this time it is different.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, I believe we will recover, but it may take a bit longer than past recessions. Nothing like the Great Depression, I don't think.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Even a broken clock...
Exactly.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yeah, that's it. Let's all throw in the towels.
actually, i would like to take a towel, dampen it, twirl it between my hands and THWACK the derrieres of those panicking...i'm in for the long haul!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
actually, i would like to take a towel, dampen it, twirl it between my hands and THWACK the derrieres of those panicking...i'm in for the long haul!

If ENOUGH folks panic, we'll have capitulation, and then we can get back to the business at hand........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

It's a little late to panic imho
Old 10-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, one could acknowledge the gloom and doomers, but what's the point? There are always those who feel we're teetering off the edge -- why encourage them?

-- Rita
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Well, one could acknowledge the gloom and doomers, but what's the point? There are always those who feel we're teetering off the edge -- why encourage them?
Not only that, but if they've predicted the End of the World™ ten times before and were wrong, are they suddenly geniuses because they were right on the 11th try?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm right there with ya girl! Let's get to thwackin'!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He earned every bit of ridicule he got, and he worked really hard for it too. In his breathless notoriety dubious distinction we should rename it the "Newguy Soapbox and Headline News".

I'll acknowledge the doom & gloomers as much as I'll acknowledge the Pollyannas or the conspiracy theorists or the one-asset investors or any of the other one-note wonders that frequent this board...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

On a related note: Did the inverted yield curves in 2007 predict this recession?
Old 10-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I've watched both ER forums and Doom and gloom forums, for the last 5 years. I have to say, the doomers seem to have pegged this one. I listen more to the doomers now. This forum seems to think way tooooo optimistic. Happy investing!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Funny, yesterday I was wondering what happened to Newguy...

I will acknowledge the doom and gloomers.

A good friend of mine has been consistently bearish since 2004. He lost lots of money in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 investing in a Rydex double inverse fund. Now he is calling me to gloat. Never mind the fact that my portfolio kept going up and up from 2004 to 2007 and that, looking at returns since 2004, my portfolio still probably kicks his portfolio's a$$ hands down... but I will give him that: he was right, the pooh has finally hit the fan (as it usually does once a decade).
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I first saw this very late in 2007 or early 2008. Brian Beaulieu pretty much called it in this September 3, 2006 taping. It is a 30 minute video in three parts.
The Foundation for Responsible Television