Time to Acknowledge the Doom & Gloomers?

Yeah, that's it. Let's all throw in the towels. The sooner, the better. Isn't that called capitulation?

Then, next week we can all buy back our stocks, and live happily, well not forever, but till the end of our life. I am in.

I think it's a matter of degree. They seemed to act as if something worse than the 1930s was coming, and we're far, far away from that, even if it doesn't feel like that now.

As I've said in those threads before, every time they predict financial apocalypse they could be right, but the track record of such doomsayer is rather terrible. Pitchers in baseball tend to be terrible hitters, but that doesn't mean they won't get a hit once in a while...

I do remember a lot of worried posts over the past three years being responded to with something like, "people always think 'this time it's different' but we've been through this before, and it's not different." I have to say I think this time it is different.

Seriously, I believe we will recover, but it may take a bit longer than past recessions. Nothing like the Great Depression, I don't think.

actually, i would like to take a towel, dampen it, twirl it between my hands and THWACK the derrieres >:D of those panicking...i'm in for the long haul!

If ENOUGH folks panic, we'll have capitulation, and then we can get back to the business at hand........:D

Well, one could acknowledge the gloom and doomers, but what's the point? There are always those who feel we're teetering off the edge -- why encourage them?

-- Rita

Well, one could acknowledge the gloom and doomers, but what's the point? There are always those who feel we're teetering off the edge -- why encourage them?
Not only that, but if they've predicted the End of the World™ ten times before and were wrong, are they suddenly geniuses because they were right on the 11th try?

Do we need to take a moment to acknowledge the doom and gloomers who we generally ridiculed over the last year or two?
He earned every bit of ridicule he got, and he worked really hard for it too. In his [-]breathless notoriety[/-] dubious distinction we should rename it the "Newguy Soapbox and Headline News".

I'll acknowledge the doom & gloomers as much as I'll acknowledge the Pollyannas or the conspiracy theorists or the one-asset investors or any of the other one-note wonders that frequent this board...

On a related note: Did the inverted yield curves in 2007 predict this recession?

I've watched both ER forums and Doom and gloom forums, for the last 5 years. I have to say, the doomers seem to have pegged this one. I listen more to the doomers now. This forum seems to think way tooooo optimistic. Happy investing!

Funny, yesterday I was wondering what happened to Newguy...

I will acknowledge the doom and gloomers.

A good friend of mine has been consistently bearish since 2004. He lost lots of money in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 investing in a Rydex double inverse fund. Now he is calling me to gloat. Never mind the fact that my portfolio kept going up and up from 2004 to 2007 and that, looking at returns since 2004, my portfolio still probably kicks his portfolio's a$$ hands down... but I will give him that: he was right, the pooh has finally hit the fan (as it usually does once a decade).

:bat: We need a De - fense emote like the plastic dohicky the fans at football games have.

One more time:

Agile, mobile, and hostile (now that Alabama is way up in the rankings)

'God Looks After Drunkards, Fools and The United States of America.'

'Stay the course, press on regardless, hurry up just stand there.'

Pssst - Wellesley.

Pick one you like.

heh heh heh - looks like next year for this cat is gonna be closer to 3% SEC yield than 4% SWR or 5% variable. 16th year of ER may bring out the cheap bastard in me one more time. :rolleyes:.

actually, i would like to take a towel, dampen it, twirl it between my hands and THWACK the derrieres >:D of those panicking...i'm in for the long haul!

I'm right there with ya girl! Let's get to thwackin'!

Hey, who let these women in the men's changing room:confused:

What, I am in the women's room:confused:

No? It's co-ed? :D

Seriously, I never care for the permabears. In hindsight, I would pay more attention to the bulls who turned bearish last year, not those who do now. It's no prescience to be bearish now. Even so, I don't think the ones who turned bearish last year know for sure what comes ahead.

On the other hand, history has been on the side of the permabulls, who have been right, IN THE LONG RUN.

I just wonder if this long run extends to the end of my life. Oh well, not the end of my life, because I will collect SS in little more than 10 years.

I am not sure he was referring to the market or the Presidential election..........:D

BTW, Dow 8000?? That's pretty funny.........:)

Care to revise your estimate:D

Gloom & doom? Perhaps I just don't understand the situation, but I'm gonna buy a brand new motorcycle in a couple of months. Yes, in the dead of winter, because that's when I'll have the money that is not allocated for other things, and I think the dealer will be happy to see someone with cash when there's snow on the ground. Because I think spring will come.

Applies to economics too.

There is a significant difference between a "Permabear" or a "doom and gloomer" and someone who had been reading about the economy and concluded that the housing bubble could not continue inflating forever, that MANY people had overleveraged themselves with creative mortgages and credit cards. In addition, that mortgages had been sliced and diced and sold off to the far corners of the planet.

Some looked at those unpleasant facts and realized also that the stock market had a run up coincident to the housing and credit bubble.

That is why many in 2005-2008 became very uncomfortable about future prospects for the economy.

Back
Top Bottom