Join Early Retirement Today

Time to Buy a New Vehicle
Old 01-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Time to Buy a New Vehicle

Going in to our fourth year of retirement we are due for a new vehicle for dependable travel. Wife won't hear of a used vehicle - this could be our last car! For those who have recently purchased a new vehicle did you pay cash, finance, or pay part/finance part? Is getting financing hard? What do you need to bring with - pension stubs/ss statements? We did a 50k remodel last year and trying to refinance or get a HELOC was such a hassle that we just ended up withdrawing from IRA. Looking at about a 40k vehicle so would require another 55k withdrawal this year. Have about three years left on a mortgage. Thanks to a great 2013 our IRA has already earned back the 50k we withdrew last spring.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even with the ability to pay cash, PenFed has been there for me with the two new vehicles that I bought well after retiring, the most recent last April…and my ONLY other relationship with them is a credit card. (if you're not a member, it only costs $5 to open an account and join)

With interest rates so low, it was nice to be able to take my time to decide WHEN to pay the 1st one off and with the rise in the market over the last year, my decision to keep it in the market rather than pay off the 2nd one ASAP has been a good one….personal decision for sure, but they are easy to work with!

Good Luck!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
Going in to our fourth year of retirement we are due for a new vehicle for dependable travel. Wife won't hear of a used vehicle - this could be our last car! For those who have recently purchased a new vehicle did you pay cash, finance, or pay part/finance part? Is getting financing hard? What do you need to bring with - pension stubs/ss statements? We did a 50k remodel last year and trying to refinance or get a HELOC was such a hassle that we just ended up withdrawing from IRA. Looking at about a 40k vehicle so would require another 55k withdrawal this year. Have about three years left on a mortgage. Thanks to a great 2013 our IRA has already earned back the 50k we withdrew last spring.
I like a new car every 2 to 3 years, Leasing is also a good deal at current rates. I live in a semi retirement community and a lot of the retired folk here lease as a way to avoid all aspects of owning a car other than driving. Of course we all do not do many miles per year. Personally a 10k lease suits me and that includes 2 trips to Canada and perhaps Key West a year.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We buy new, pay cash and keep cars for 7-10 years. We just don't like debt at all. However, an argument can be made for financing at the historically low interest rates being offered today, so I fully understand those who make that case. Leasing makes no sense unless you trade every 3 years or so, something we've never done.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #5

We just bought a new car last November. I was planning on paying cash but the dealer would not do the deal I wanted unless we financed through the dealership but his next sentence was that there was no prepayment penalty so we financed it there at 1.9%. We made one payment and we'll pay it off when the next one is due.

The only documentation they wanted was our driver's licenses, no pay stubs or anything like that.

There's a thread on car buying services here.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

I bought a new Honda Accord last year. I financed it since the dealer gave me a better deal that way. I paid the monthly payment once, then paid it off completely. I didn't require any extra proof for the financing. I have purchased from that dealer before tho, so that may have played a part.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Normally, I am one who pays cash for a vehicle and drives it a minimum of 10 years. However, the last car I purchased I did finance because the interest rate was 0.9%, which is less than the current inflation rate of about 1.5%. If the inflation rate ever goes below 0.9% and threatens to stay there, I can always pay off the loan.

Before you ask, there was no discount for paying cash instead of financing at this rate. I know, I tried.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #8

Depending on the vehicle you intend to buy, some makers are offering 0% (or near 0) financing. Hard to turn down no cost loan. Others are offering rebate vs 0%, and for those you might be better off taking the rebate.
I've also seen some tasty lease deals lately. Some have done well by leasing, then buying car at lease end if they really love it- or turning vehicle back in if they don't.
Deciding on best way to arrange a $40k new ride is a 'problem' most of us would love to have
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM   #9

We normally like to pay cash. However the last two cars came with <1% loans that we kept as long as possible. I didn't bother tracking the last one, which started in 2009, but the other one started in 2002 and with investment gains on the balance we effectively paid about half price for the car. I suspect the last one was similar, given the start date. Not the same market conditions today, so it's your guess.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
with investment gains on the balance we effectively paid about half price for the car. I suspect the last one was similar, given the start date. Not the same market conditions today, so it's your guess.
Good point. The 2013 market certainly helped, but it's a 5 year loan so we will see how much this helps over the entire life of the loan.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We buy new, pay cash and keep cars for 7-10 years. We just don't like debt at all. However, an argument can be made for financing at the historically low interest rates being offered today, so I fully understand those who make that case. Leasing makes no sense unless you trade every 3 years or so, something we've never done.
+1
Cash for new cars every 10 years. I haven't had debt of any kind in decades and don't intend to, no matter what the interest rate. Only non-frugal indulgence I have in life is that I buy German luxury cars. The satisfaction they have given me has been priceless.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a new vehicle in August-a very nice Honda Accord with .9% interest

Be sure to test drive the car thoroughly, including the blue tooth.

The Honda has the WORST voice recognition software, and I wish I had paired my phone prior to buying-I would have left the car with the dealer had I done my homework.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #13

PenFed has a car buying service for new cars. If you purchase using their service, they will offer you a 0% loan. I have no idea if their prices are lower than the other car buying services out there, but it's worth getting a quote from them once you decide which car to buy.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We also bought a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L in November 2012. We absolutely love it! There was a bug in the bluetooth system but there was a software fix that took only a few minutes to resolve. Before I BMW'd (Buggered My Wallet) or other pricey model, I'd check out the type of model you want and compare it to the comparable Honda. We have kept cars 10 yrs on average. 1st Cadillac was ok. 2nd 1992 Cadillac was a dog with constant electrical problems. 2001 Mazda MPV has been great except for transmission going out at 140k miles. Our son has been driving it for a year now and we hope it will make it to college with him next year.
If safety, dependability, performance and gas mileage are important to you I'd go with Honda.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

We typically pay cash for a new car, but for our purchase last year we were offered a deal where the finance company paid the first three payments for us if we financed with them. There was no prepayment penalty. They credited the three months worth of payments to the account within a week, so we just paid off the balance.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #16

We just bought a new Subaru Outback yesterday. We went through Costco and I loved letting Costco haggle the price. We could have had 0% financing for 3 years, but I paid cash. Maybe that was dumb to turn down free financing, but I haven't carried any debt in years and didn't want to go back to making even automated payments.

OP, I was wondering how financing would go since I don't have an income. My partner/spouse is still working so I suppose we could have had her finance it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a new truck last summer. The dealer knew we would be paying cash; however, when he was looking at all the factory rebates we might qualify for he found an additional $1,000 rebate from Chrysler if we financed a minimum of $10k through Chrysler Financial. The application was done online and approved in just a few days. We were only required to make a single payment before paying off completely. I paid the balance of the loan off with my VISA to earn the mileage then paid the full balance off the VISA at the end of the month.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rlsa View Post
We bought a new truck last summer. The dealer knew we would be paying cash; however, when he was looking at all the factory rebates we might qualify for he found an additional $1,000 rebate from Chrysler if we financed a minimum of $10k through Chrysler Financial. The application was done online and approved in just a few days. We were only required to make a single payment before paying off completely. I paid the balance of the loan off with my VISA to earn the mileage then paid the full balance off the VISA at the end of the month.
Nice, you did well!!! I love hearing stories like this.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1 but in our case, $750 incentive was on condition that we finance from the car manufacturer. So, reluctantly, we financed some minimum amount, and paid it off when the first bill came.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon cornped View Post
We also bought a 2013 Honda Accord EX-L in November 2012.
We're liking the 2014 Honda Accord Sport we bought last November. I got that model because it comes with a couple of extras that made the extra worthwhile for us. We haven't fooled with the electronics much since our phones are the old flip phone Tracfones.

It's primarily DW's car so while we're having the lousy weather it's staying in the garage and using the 4WD truck.