Time to start buying again?

MooreBonds said:
Any current favorites for the above?
brewer12345 said:
Cannot talk about reinsurers, although if you look at...
brewer12345 said:
For banks, I like AF, but it isn't quite cheap enough to go buy. OCFC is embarassingly cheap and the baby has been thrown out with the bathwater. BPOP is dirt cheap for an enviable franchise. I think WHI is cheap/attractive, although the ride is likely to be bumpy as they work through some credit quality issues. Basically, the whole space is cheap, though. You could probably do real well simply by buying the retail bank ETF.
Eh, Brewer, you're ringing my Pavlovian bell again. Or maybe I'm just tired of plugging numbers into Turbotax already.

The real accomplishment isn't catching the fish that Brewer's throwing out, however much that might accelerate a Young Dreamer's planning or an ER's spending plans.

The real trick is studying those fish to see where they came from, and then learning to go find your own.

But how long & hard do you want to work at it, and how many longboards can one investor use at a time?!?

Nords said:
how many longboards can one investor use at a time?!?

Dunno. Would you like a plug-in modified Prius to haul it to the beach?

Ok Brewer help me understand why DSX is such a bargain. (Note I am absolutely not picking a fight here, just a bit confused after reading the prospectus of the new stock issue.) Obviously DSX pays a mouth watering dividending, made doubly attractive by it being qualified dividend.

They have rapidly expanded the fleet and the ships are new, and it seems smart they the ships they purchase are only two or three classes of ships, since it increases their operational flexibility and reduces cost. (It worked for Southwest Airlines...)

All of the positives, aside I am struck by several negatives.
o Despite an increase in the number of ships net income seems to be stuck in the 60+ million range for 3 years now.
o The stockholder just suffered a 15% dilution (8.25-9.25 million new shares issued) and there are now 61.3 million shares so roughly speaking net income is $1 a share (I am excluded last year prefered dividend payment.) This makes an P/E or ~17 or an earning yield of ~6% an amount substainal lower than the nominal dividend yield.
o Virtually every transaction involves the CEO selling shares through a holding company and his ownerships has dropped from 51% to the mid 30%

I guess I am worried that we have a pontential ponzi scheme where the company is using debt and future equity offers to pay off existing shareholders (primarily CEO Simeon Palios) with high dividend yield which isn't sustainable.

Nords said:
Please let us know what you're selling... maybe we can offer you a good deal!

I have sold 100% of my stock holdings which represented 25 percent of my portfolio. My most recent holdings sold were:

Questar Utah Natural Gas - Held for 10+ Years
Compass Minerals: Salt Company Held 18 months
Kimco Realty - Held 12 Years
Cedar Fair Parks - held 15 Years
S&P 500 Fund - Held 18 months
Gold Bullion and Silver Bullion 5% of Portfolio adjusted annually until this year, now no preciousl minerals in my portfolio.

So there is your list of purchases if you think I am incorrect

Running_Man said:
I have sold 100% of my stock holdings which represented 25 percent of my portfolio. My most recent holdings sold were:

Questar Utah Natural Gas - Held for 10+ Years
Compass Minerals: Salt Company Held 18 months
Kimco Realty - Held 12 Years
Cedar Fair Parks - held 15 Years
S&P 500 Fund - Held 18 months
Gold Bullion and Silver Bullion 5% of Portfolio adjusted annually until this year, now no preciousl minerals in my portfolio.

So there is your list of purchases if you think I am incorrect

Interesting. Compass Minerals (CMP) owned also for about 18 months, up 41% still yielding 3.8% and raised dividends last year, and dividends have increased almost 70% in 4 years, increased earning despite a much warmer than normal winters (drives down demand for salt for deicing.) What exactly is wrong with this company?
Cedar Fairs Park (FUN). I held it briefly last year, I was concerned about its take over of Paramounts amusement parks, but they appear to have done a decent job integrating Paramount (like Great American in Silicon Valley) parks into their operations. Distribution are at 6.6% and they raised the distribution last year. It is on my watch list.
S&P 500 I guess I have owned this in various forms practically as long as I have been investing.
Never owned gold, bought silver in the mid 80s at about $12/oz not only has it gone done in value, but dummy (that is me) actually lost the 100 oz bar of silver. After reading Siegel's stocks for the long run I'll never own metals again.

A 25% equity allocation is fairly small for early retiree, and now it is zero!? What do you have your money invested in now and why did you get out of the market?

Running_Man said:
Now is the time to be selling, of that I am convinced more as the year is progressing. To be ignoring the fundamentals that are underlying the economy of the US, with the mantra of there is never a bad time to buy is symbolic of the poor future for the near term 12-36 months for the stock market.

Look at the article in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal where Alan Blinder discusses the future of America's higher paid workers to realize that the technology era, which was a source of the boom in the 80's and 90's will be leading an era of decreasing income in the United States. A leading indicator is the slowing of housing, and the mortgage problems that are following them. This is part of a technological sea change that will impact pricing across the world. Citicorp's decision to offshore 15,000 workers to China and India and Circuit City's decision to fire all higher paid workers to be replaced with minimum wage workers will put inexorable pressure on competitors to do the same as the price pressures continue.

Time will tell but the year is unfolding very much as I was afraid it would at the start of the year.

What fundamentals are telling you to sell all your assets? Strong employment,inflation is not that bad,SP 500 is still a good value to buy and GDP is still strong. It may not be a roaring economy but its still fairly strong overall. I guess if the housing correction scares you...

clifp said:
Ok Brewer help me understand why DSX is such a bargain. (Note I am absolutely not picking a fight here, just a bit confused after reading the prospectus of the new stock issue.) Obviously DSX pays a mouth watering dividending, made doubly attractive by it being qualified dividend.

They have rapidly expanded the fleet and the ships are new, and it seems smart they the ships they purchase are only two or three classes of ships, since it increases their operational flexibility and reduces cost. (It worked for Southwest Airlines...)

All of the positives, aside I am struck by several negatives.
o Despite an increase in the number of ships net income seems to be stuck in the 60+ million range for 3 years now.
o The stockholder just suffered a 15% dilution (8.25-9.25 million new shares issued) and there are now 61.3 million shares so roughly speaking net income is $1 a share (I am excluded last year prefered dividend payment.) This makes an P/E or ~17 or an earning yield of ~6% an amount substainal lower than the nominal dividend yield.
o Virtually every transaction involves the CEO selling shares through a holding company and his ownerships has dropped from 51% to the mid 30%

I guess I am worried that we have a pontential ponzi scheme where the company is using debt and future equity offers to pay off existing shareholders (primarily CEO Simeon Palios) with high dividend yield which isn't sustainable.

Ah the perils of not modelling things out. I (mostly) ignore this company's income statement. I model revenue out by day rate times days per year for each ship. Expenses are 5% of revenue as commissions, about $5k a day for each ship in op expense, some overhead/G&A, interest expense, and that's about it. That gives you cash flow. I don't care about depreciation because I track the value of the ships via open market transactions and shipbroker quotes. All of this ciphering gets me to an annual dividend of about $2.20 a share, pro forma for the new shares issued and new ships purchased. So that is how I look at the mechanics of the company.

The wider picture is IMO very favorable for this company. Demand for bulk shipping continues to skyrocket. Day rates for ships like DSX' are up 100+% year over year and continue to climb. It takes years to get a new ship built, and the nearest date I see companies contracting for is 2011 (if they pay up, more likely 2012 now). Meanwhile demand for ships is so high that there is something like 15 to 20% of the world's fleet stacked up waiting in line outside the Australian coal ports waiting to even load up. Then we have India imposing an export tax on iron ore, so the Chinese are turning to Brazil instead. Any idea how much longer it takes to do a round trip between China and Brazil vs. India? A lot, which eats up more shipping capacity. And DSX has used this frenzied demand to lock in high day rates for up to 5 years.

i'm at a 100% cash in 401k for 2 reasons. wife and i are in early 30s.

1. market seemed to be topping out last month based on some technical indicators I read about and on IBD.

2. going back 50 years or so the 7th year of every decade is usually a big market crash or correction. 1987 was junk bonds. 1997 it was a correction in the early part of the year, then a rally and then 1998 was a bear market.

IBD called this latest correction the day it happened. On March 21st they called a follow through day after the rally started, but with the following warnings. Based on past research most corrections take around 7 weeks or more to work themselves out. In mid march when the rally started after making a higher low it was only around 4 weeks or less from the start of the correction. There was also a down day with high volume this week on day 5 after the follow through day, and based on past research this is a big warning that the rally can fail.

I'm keeping my money in cash for several reasons.

1. the IBD warnings and the fact that there is no volume. I think if this was a real rally the volume would have to be higher as proof that the big institutions were buying back in.

2. the mortgage crisis is just starting and already there are stories that it's creeping into Alt-A. Someone is holding a lot of credit default swaps and rumor is that it's insurance companies or a big pension fund or some big hedge fund. They had a hedge fund go public last year and Blackstone wants to go public this year. Question is why do they need the money. As foreclosures increase I'm almost positive that we will see some big financial company run into a lot of problems.

3. Federal Reserve is biased into raising rates. They raised rates in the late 1980's and took the whole housing market with them and I think they will do it again.

al: tsk, tsk, tsk. with this kind of reasoning, there are two great dangers:
1) you'll still be at 100% cash when you and your wife are in your early 60's;
2) you'll buy equities at/near their peak, then bail when they fail, and you'll still be at 100% cash when you and your wife are in your early 60's

al_bundy said:

1. market seemed to be topping out last month based on some technical indicators I read about and on IBD.

2. going back 50 years or so the 7th year of every decade is usually a big market crash or correction. 1987 was junk bonds. 1997 it was a correction in the early part of the year, then a rally and then 1998 was a bear market.

Are you kidding?! Wow, fasten your tinfoil hats, kids. :LOL:

I really don't understand this sort of rationale. Have you actually ever seen any documented, preferable academic evidence suggesting that any of this technical mumbo-jumbo has any validity? I certainly have not. Instead, I note that a sizable percentage of amateur schmoes follow this nonsense. In contrast, none of the smart, well-educated investment professionals (who produce very strong returns) of my acquaintance have any truck with this stuff. If you are drinking that formaldehyde kool-aid, I'm not sure we can help you, my friend.

brewer12345 said:
Have you actually ever seen any documented, preferable academic evidence suggesting that any of this technical mumbo-jumbo has any validity? I certainly have not.
Hey hey hey, H0cus published an entire book on the subject!

al_bundy said:
1. market seemed to be ...
For your sake I hope that you're tracking these reasons closely over the next 12 months, where we can again compare notes (and returns).

Even at the trough of the recent dip, our high-equity small-cap-value international-bias highly-volatile portfolio was only down 4.4% from its all-time high. And yesterday it was only down a total of 1.4% from that same all-time high. And that was after 2006's 15% returns.

I'm in the middle of reading Random walk down Wall Street (Why, oh WHY didn't I find that book in 1999?), and seeing this thread right after finishing the chapter where Malkiel does a thorough...ah...*discussion* of Technical Analysis theories was worth a smile. :) As for us, we're DCAing our contributions into index funds, and grabbing a nice beer with the comissions we won't be spending churning our portfolio. If that strategy delays our retirement by 6 months, well, it probably would have taken a year of our lives total fretting over charts to do it the hard way, so it's still a net profit. :) To each their own though, and good luck...

Nords said:
Hey hey hey, H0cus published an entire book on the subject!
For your sake I hope that you're tracking these reasons closely over the next 12 months, where we can again compare notes (and returns).

If you'd like a real life example of what retiring early, with insufficient funds, and zero equity exposure looks like, and I can't recommend Rob Bennet (*****) book highly enough.

http://www.passionsaving.com/index.html.

If other hand you'd like to actually be able to retire early and enjoy your retirement years, I'd recommend doing the opposite.

(Note: I am closer to my 70th birthday than my 60th)

In my youth, when I went shopping for my school wardrobe Mother used to admonish me not to spend all of my money in one place and to be sure to attend to my 'foundation' (in those days ladies wore girdles ;)). My investments reflect her advise: don't concentrate in any sector and make sure that what is underneath supports the flash.

With that in mind my 'flash' amounts to no more than what I can afford to loose.

If a stock looks too good to be true, it might be.. or it might not. So, bite off some - but not enough to choke.

brewer12345 said:
Are you kidding?! Wow, fasten your tinfoil hats, kids. :LOL:

I really don't understand this sort of rationale. Have you actually ever seen any documented, preferable academic evidence suggesting that any of this technical mumbo-jumbo has any validity? I certainly have not. Instead, I note that a sizable percentage of amateur schmoes follow this nonsense. In contrast, none of the smart, well-educated investment professionals (who produce very strong returns) of my acquaintance have any truck with this stuff. If you are drinking that formaldehyde kool-aid, I'm not sure we can help you, my friend.

i don't believe in all of them since anyone can make up any formula from the price/volume info which is what they really are. I like MACD, Stochastics, on balance volume and a few chart patterns.

pull up a yearly chart of any index along with the MACD and stochastics and you will see the same thing over and over. Almost every year there is a nice rally where the technicals flash bullish for 3 months or so and then the next three month they flatten out while the market stays flat or goes a little higher

There is also a Fortune article from 2002 where they went back 100 years and saw a few things repeating themselves. The economy is very similar in the same year of every decade and most of the stock market's profits are made November through April. They found that if you were only invested 6 months out of the year you would outperform the indexes by around 1% on average with less risk.

In my free time I'm doing something similar and going back to look at the market performance every year and in the same years of every decade the market performs in similar fashion. 1987 looks very similar to this year's market. Even the news is almost the same. i pulled up some old articles from the NY Times and all you need to do is replace Bernanke with Volcker.

my prediction is that depending how this iran thing turns out we'll probably start a rally in a few weeks, hit some highs and in the spirit of 1987 and 1997 we'll get a nice crash in October due to bond or debt issues. for the last 20 years it seems bankers like to flush hundreds of billions of $$$ down the toilet on a regular schedule.

It's not exact where you can say every year is exactly the same but it's close enough where except for the late 1990's and late 1950's the stock market from the peak of year 7 of a decade usually goes sideways until the start of the next decade.

I also read a book that says we'll probably repeat 1929 in 2009 due to demographic trends. Baby Boomers are about to start retiring and he said back in the late 1920's another big generation was also starting to retire and went past their peak spending years but i think there are too many changes now since the last time.

in summary, people make the same stupid mistakes every decade no matter how fancy their degree is and us small fry can make a ton of money on the market inefficencies that it creates. Almost every decade there is a debt crisis where it turns out unimaginable amounts of bad loans were made. 1980's it was S&L and junk bonds. 1990's it was telecom and anything with the internet. I think something like $2 trillion was flushed down the toilet 10 years ago because the internet was doubling in size every week. we still haven't had the emerging markets debt crisis of the decade yet.

for 2007 - 2010 it's going to be mortgages. The subprime flu is already spreading to ALt-A and 3Q is when most of the rate resets start and we still don't know who holds all the credit default swaps. Based on past history we'll probably find out around October. If it's an insurance company or a few insurance companies like i've read and it's a strong hurricane season because last year there was sand in the atmospehere last year and supposedly none this year....

maybe we aren't going to get a second leg down? breaking the 50 day line on what looks like is going to be high volume.

al_bundy said:
maybe we aren't going to get a second leg down? breaking the 50 day line on what looks like is going to be high volume.

You'd know better than I about that stuff. From what I see, the market is just flopping around, over-reacting to every piece of data and news and waiting for 1st quarter earnings reports (remember? fundamentls?). If earnings are Ok, the market will rally since valuations aren't stratospheric.

brewer12345 said:
You'd know better than I about that stuff. From what I see, the market is just flopping around, over-reacting to every piece of data and news and waiting for 1st quarter earnings reports (remember? fundamentls?). If earnings are Ok, the market will rally since valuations aren't stratospheric.

Yep, it went spastic over that housing data today. Totally uncalled for. Of course when is the market every really sane.

Mwsinron said:
Yep, it went spastic over that housing data today. Totally uncalled for. Of course when is the market every really sane.

Dunno if that is what the market went nuts about, since the price of oil is sliding a lot today and the UK/Iran situation appears to be de-escalating. The entire mortgage finance world is absurdly cheap now anyway, so it wouldn't take much to spark a rally there.

from what i remember in 1987 Reagan reflagged Kuwaiti oil tankers under the US flag and US warships were escorting them and there was a mini war with Iran. The USS Vincencess shot down an Iranian airliner. The Iraqi's shot up a US destroyer and killed 37 sailors and we had a nice summer rally of around 10%.

just rechecked the Dow charts going back to 1947 and it looks like every 7th year of the decade except 1977 had a summer rally starting around April. You can always cash out later.

they had a pending home sales index chart in the IBD today. really tomorrow's paper. looks like it made a higher low and moved up a notch which is why the stock market liked it.

it was doing lower highs and lower lows for a while and it looks like the trend reversed itself.

al_bundy said:
just rechecked the Dow charts going back to 1947 and it looks like every 7th year of the decade except 1977 had a summer rally starting around April. You can always cash out later.

did you figure in the Super Bowl this year?

I've found another pretty awesome trend that you can use to make literally 8-10% in the market! I'm going to post it, but you have to promise to paypal me a $100 donation if you make lots of money from using my tip.

Here it is: approximately 2/3's of the time, the market goes up on days that end in 'y'. Be very careful how you use this advice, as it can be very powerful.

And pay attention to that nasty Mercury retrograde, especially when saturn is in the 8th house and conjuncting venus in capricorn--it'll get you every time. ::)

Back
Top Bottom