Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Better add a port-o-potty to the list. Most urban/suburban homes would be susceptible to sewer outages, or worse, backups...
One of the many reasons its nice to have a travel trailer in the driveway.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Better add a port-o-potty to the list. Most urban/suburban homes would be susceptible to sewer outages, or worse, backups...

Joseph Jenkins, Inc. - Humanure Headquarters
Old 04-12-2009, 06:52 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrock View Post
I am presently researching a permanently installed natural gas powered home electrical generator system. I think I would buy one of these and stock up on food before I stashed some gold.
Power generation for the home is indeed a tough one. I wouldn't bet the farm on natural gas in all circumstances, as it can also be interrupted (in an earthquake they'll likely shut it off, if the technicians are on strike or can't get to work (aka bird flu) the supplies might be sporadic, and in case of general societal collapse/rioting the natural gas won't be there). But, it is true that in anything short of this, (ice storm, etc) a natural gas electric generator is a lot safer and handier than a gasoline generator.

A gasoline generator is also far from a perfect answer. Fuel will be scarce, it is hard to keep it fresh in storage, and there's no way good way to store it safely. People who think they'll use the fuel from their cars and trucks for their generator are probably not thinking things through, as that fuel in the car will be golden. I suppose you could get around the freshness issue with Sta-Bil and just burning it in your car every year or so, but what a PITA that would be. I wouldn't mind figuring out how to fit a natural gas carb to my existing gasoline generator.

If you can figure out a way to avoid high-electric use appliances (freezer/AC/heat/well pump) then a small solar setup could provide power for some very handy small-watt stuff (recharging batteries for cell phones, flashlights/cordless tools, radio, etc).

We have a gasoline generator that is big enough to run the well pump, which means it is overpowered and not efficient to run it for extended periods. The plan is to turn it on a few times a day for about an hour to refill the bathtubs and jugs with water, re-cool the fridge and freezer, recharge all the cordless tools and lanterns, and maybe run the furnace if it is really cold outside. I have a couple of small propane heaters for use inside (rated for this purpose) and lots of 1 lb propane bottles (which can safely be refilled outside from a 20 lb bottle for the grill). We also have a small propane stove for boiling water and heating up food. I think we'd be fine for a week or so, but there's no way we are set up for months of autonomous living.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatrock View Post
I had emergency cash in a safe deposit box.
Not to sound like a jerk, but doesn't storing the emergency cash in the bank defeat the purpose of having emergency cash?
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundInterestFan View Post
Not to sound like a jerk, but doesn't storing the emergency cash in the bank defeat the purpose of having emergency cash?
It depends on the nature of the emergency. If it's just a personal emergency than funds in a bank are fine. If it's a regional emergency which shuts down bank access then yes, you need to keep cash on hand.

For most people their emergency fund is for the former case. It is perhaps a good idea to have a (hopefully smaller) amount on hand for the later case.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
on gold
Old 04-12-2009, 08:04 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

on gold

the questions on what to do with gold during a long downturn - most towns will have gold/etc dealers you can bring gold to and have it exchanged into whatever local currency is available. I've read of people in Argentina keeping a bunch of gold rings (simple wedding bands) they can then bring one at a time to a dealer to exchange for currency. Easy to carry - you wear it on your finger and act like you're selling your wedding band.
barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Key is remember:
1. They are no longer your friends and family, it's just brains they're after
2. Get to someplace high, since it's unusual for them to climb
3. If someone in your party gets bitten don't wait and hope, shoot them in the head
4. Never assume a barricade is strong enough, have enough people for sentry duty
5. Stay away from places where you can be cornered
Would the scenario in "Mad Max" and "The Road Warrior" be more likely? These goons do not shuffle like your zombies! They are big bad bodybuilders, for crying out loud, and they are fast and hopping around like a bunch of gorillas. Don't you remember the "Lord Humungus"? Makes me want to feel the Pachmayr grip of my 357 to be sure it's still there.

How do you outrun their goonmobiles? Not in your RV! I am going to trade in my wife's SUV for a Hummer, and look into mounting a 50-cal on the roof. Need to convert one to diesel though, to be able to run it on vegetable oil if needed.

Question to ponder: would my wife want to man the gun or prefer to be the driver?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barker View Post
the questions on what to do with gold during a long downturn - most towns will have gold/etc dealers you can bring gold to and have it exchanged into whatever local currency is available. I've read of people in Argentina keeping a bunch of gold rings (simple wedding bands) they can then bring one at a time to a dealer to exchange for currency. Easy to carry - you wear it on your finger and act like you're selling your wedding band.

Have any idea what what I might get for an unused blood-specked fan from a gold trading Argentinian?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
I'm stockpiling ammo. I'll just take the gold and food of those who stockpile it and don't have any guns.
We jest about this at work. There are two mormon guys who each have a year of food stockpiled, even a big barrel of water. I always tell them my stockpile is stored in their garage, and when the shyte goes down if they give it up quietly nobody gets hurt.

That's two years right?
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you're going to stockpile more ammo, you'd better get in line according to this report I heard on NPR recently.

Gun Shop Owner Links Ammo Shortage To Obama : NPR
Bah, the commodities run-up increased the cost of the components (brass, lead, etc.) and/or the finished product before Obama was a presidential twinkle in anyone's eye. Not that the 'scare' or whatever reason is helping anything. Three-four years ago I thought it was crazy to spend over $6/box for pheasant shells. Now I'm lucky to find 'em for $16/box.

Government's been shreddin' .223 brass lately, too, I've read. A varmint hunter's nightmare. Serial killers with Bushmasters don't apply value calculations or cost/benefit analysis to ammo purchases.

-CC