Join Early Retirement Today

Time to try how tepid is the water.........
Old 12-10-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Time to try how tepid is the water.........

Hello everyone:
Thanks so very much for the previous replies concerning CFP.and also
Vanguards services.
As someone mentioned in one of the posting,it's time for me to get involved
and therefore educate myself before talking to Vanguards CFP.
I'm 62years old,retired and my main concern is income,I do have three different portfolios:A taxable portfolio(invested in mutual funds),and two IRA's.In my
particular case I have to be veryyyyyy careful,I'm a fulltimer RVer and at the present own
no home,only a trailer,and I spend my time traveling.In order to reevaluate and update
my portfolios,because of perhaps taxing concecuences,I'll have to talk to someone who can
help me with the difficulties..........
I'm willing to start and be prepared to read about the subject of investing in
retirement,and therefore I'd like hear your suggestions about materials to read,www sites
to view,and everything to be related to the subject.Please consider that I have no experience
in matters of investing in retirement and be patience...........a million thanks.If I'm ommiting
any information pertinent to the matter,please let me know.roger.
roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Time to try how tepid is the water.........
Old 12-10-2003, 04:11 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey....FWIW, I subscribe to a site called RealMoney.com. It'll cost you a few hundred a year..or a bit more if you want to access their premium content. They have a stable of contributors who offer insights & healthy debate on a wide range of investment topics...fixed income, stocks, commodities, mutual funds, etc. If you're a true investment newbie, you may want to first get grounded in the jargon by reviewing some basic literature available on the subject.
Good Luck
Mark
Old 12-10-2003, 05:03 AM   #3

Roger,

There have been a lot of topics on good investment books to read in this forum over the past year or so. So a Search and you can mine a lot of information.

By the way -- If you are an RV'r where do you usually get a phone connection to access the internet? - I travel a lot for pleasure and am always looking for new ideas on this.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Roger, if I had to pick one book for a beginner, I'd start with "Personal Finance for Dummies" by Eric Tyson. Don't let the title put you off, it was written by a finance professor. There are many good books out there, but there is a lot of junk too. I think most of the literature provided by Vanguard, T. Rowe Price, and USAA is good too. At least it used to be; it's been awhile since I have checked. Good luck!
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bob_Smith

Once again - I agree. I still refer to the 1996 ed. of The Vanguard Retirement Investing Guide although it's a little outdated.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 06:01 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A couple of web sites that might be useful:

Don't overlook The Retire Early Home Page. There's a lot of interesting stuff and some software available.

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

TIAA-CREF has a lot of publications that I think are pretty good.

http://tiaa-crefinstitute.org/

You might find a couple of other discussion boards interesting. I like:

http://groups.msn.com/REHPDiscussion...pgmarket=en-us

I'm not quite as fond of:
http://www.nofeeboards.com/boards/login.php

Have fun with it.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

For books, I like Swedrowe's. Read the 3 the library has, and like the one with a title like 'what wall street doesn't want you to know'. It is about index vs. managed funds (favoring index), and asset allocation.

Haven't read too many of the others mentioned here yet, but have read a number of other investment books.

Wayne
wzd is offline   Reply With Quote