Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Reporting in that DH's first SS deposit is in the bank. He turned FRA on 12/14, filed in person at the local office on 12/15, and first check is here on 1/21, the third Wednesday.

Maybe there is some algorithm about when the birthdate falls in the month and if the filing date is before or after the payment date in the filing month.
My experience with my divorced spousal SS was similar. I turned FRA on 6/8, filed online on 6/9, when asked on the online application when I wanted to start it I said June, and the first deposit was on 7/11.

After the first payment it settled into the second Wednesday of each month as stated on that pdf you linked to.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:31 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm sure the SS rules say you have to be 62 for a full month before you are eligible to start. That's where the one month delay happens. If you don't start SS until after age 62 there is no delay - you get asked when you want your 1st check,

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Timing the first SS deposit.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:02 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Social Security Benefits are paid one month behind. If your month of eligibility is January, you'll receive your first check on the 2nd/3rd/4th Wednesday(depending on your day of birth) of February. If you file in November, and choose February as your MOE you'll receive your first check in March.

The one month behind is regardless of age 62, 65, 66, 70 etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2015, 04:21 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2953 View Post
Social Security Benefits are paid one month behind. If your month of eligibility is January, you'll receive your first check on the 2nd/3rd/4th Wednesday(depending on your day of birth) of February. If you file in November, and choose February as your MOE you'll receive your first check in March.

The one month behind is regardless of age 62, 65, 66, 70 etc.
You are correct in all the above - unless you happen to file the month you turn age 62 and your birthday isn't the 1st or 2nd of the month.

Excerpt from a complicated story about the issue:

Quote:
Age 62 is the minimum eligibility age for Social Security. So, you must be 62 years old for every day of a month to get a Social Security benefit for that month. Since you turned 62 on Feb. 3, you obviously were not age 62 for the entire month of February. The first month you meet that requirement is March, so the first Social Security check you get is for March, which arrives in April.
Ten-Minute Delay in Birth Means One Less Social Security Check For Twin by Tom Margenau on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Regardless of your day of birth the check is paid one month after your MOE. If your birthday is 2/1/15, your MOE *could* be January, however your first check would still be paid in February.

If you turn 62 on 2/1/15 or 2/2/15 your MOE *could* be FEB and your first check would still come the following month.

If you turn 62 on 2/3/15 your MOE can be no earlier than March, in which case your first check would still come the following March.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I turn 62 next week on the 27th. Followed the directions, and filed online 90 days prior on Oct. 27. Got a reply back in the snail mail in early Dec., with my benefit amount stated, and to expect the first deposit on Mar. 25.

Everything went exactly as expected, right down to the dollar of the benefit amount as compared to my earnings statement. Didn't have to send anything in.

You have to be 62 for a full month before receiving a benefit. In my case, Feb. 27. The next payday for my birth date (27th) is Mar. 25 (fourth Wed.). That's how they figure it. For those over 62, I'm not sure, but you probably get paid a month after you file.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I did everything online back in June 2014. Did not have to mail anything, but I did have interaction with SS about 8 years ago to correct something on my personal record so they got my Birth Cert. then and I'm assuming thats why I did not have to mail anything.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I turned FRA on 12/1/2014. Some time in Early November I attempted to sign up on line but could not seem to sign up for spousal, so I abandoned the attempt, called our local office and verified that to file for spousal I would have to come in to the office. I was given an appointment for a date at the end of November. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one is eligible for the entire month preceding one's birth month if born on the 1st. I did not receive my December check on time(second Wednesday) however I did receive it around the 21st along with a refund for one month of Medicare which I had been paying separately since turning 65. I did need to provide my marriage certificate and birth certificate. The entire process was very pleasant and efficient, including a detailed estimate of my benefit on my own work history which I plan to take at age 70 and guidance on how to request elimination of the income based extra premiums DH and I pay into Medicare, once my income from employment stops and our income drops below the threshold for increased premiums.