Join Early Retirement Today

Tin Foil Hat Time...
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tin Foil Hat Time...

I've heard from various sources that the only way we (USA) can get out of this mess is to devalue the dollar. Which basically means that owning stocks, real estate, CDs and anything else in US dollars is not the place to park money. Basically move your money to foreign currencies. Anybody else heard this opinion expressed from different media sources? (I listen to the radio a lot) Any opinions? Just a concerned citizen.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
I've heard from various sources that the only way we (USA) can get out of this mess is to devalue the dollar. Which basically means that owning stocks, real estate, CDs and anything else in US dollars is not the place to park money. Basically move your money to foreign currencies. Anybody else heard this opinion expressed from different media sources? (I listen to the radio a lot) Any opinions? Just a concerned citizen.
No, I haven't heard this elsewhere.

There may be some valid reasons for wanting to park money in foreign currencies, but the possibility of devaluation of the dollar in 2008 is not a concern that keeps me awake at night. Personally I just don't think the situation is all that bad at the present time. The economy just needs some time to settle out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea View Post
If the dollar is devalued I think gold and real estate would both do pretty well as would foreign assets.

To a large extent we are already seeing the effect of a devalued dollar, high oil prices, and a strong relative performance of international stock funds.

A weak dollar has a number of positive effects, one of which is to make US exporters more competitive and the secondary effect is to make the value of foreign held securities worth less. While I don't think there is a Trilateral commission type conspiracy, I am sure they Fed is quite aware of what there are doing and why they are doing it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Our floating exchange rate constantly values the dollar vs. other foreign currencies. If you look at how those exchange rates have changed over the past couple of years, you can see that the dollar has already been significantly 'devalued'. (I believe the correct term is 'depreciated', but it has been a very long time since Econ. 101.)
Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the "various sources" know what they are talking about. REWahoo explained how the US$ exchange rate works and what has happened to it. The Fed Reserve can only influence the exchange rate with the Fed Rate and as you can see the recent cut didn't change it that much.
Poor countries try to manage their exchange rates with currency controls and import fees.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

No, that's pure red herring. There's been a buildup of anti-dollar sentiment for the last few years, lots of people have joined the ranks of the goldbugs.

The US will end up being the best of a bad lot, when it's all done.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Our floating exchange rate constantly values the dollar vs. other foreign currencies. If you look at how those exchange rates have changed over the past couple of years, you can see that the dollar has already been significantly 'devalued'. (I believe the correct term is 'depreciated', but it has been a very long time since Econ. 101.)
Hey, Uncle Ben's Plunge Protection Team did the best it could today. As REW has pointed out, the dollar is already trading at quarter-century lows and doesn't have much room left to fall.

But if you're worried about a dropping dollar, then like that punchline of the guy praying to God to win the lottery you could meet Him halfway-- buy some international equities for your asset allocation. They sure went on sale this week...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote