Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Tips and treasuries or Wellsley?...or?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tips and treasuries or Wellsley?...or?

Hi everyone,

I could sure use some input regarding the bond section of our investments. They are all in the non-taxable accounts. They represent 60% of our investment portfolio, and consist of:

50% Vanguard TIPS fund
50% Vanguard Intermediate Treasuries fund

The other 40% of our investment portfolio is:

60% Vanguard Total Stock Market Index
32% Vanguard FTSE All-world ex-US
8% Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US small cap

With all that has been going on in the news (mostly, over on the Boglehead Forum), I am feeling a bit apprehensive about treasuries. I am even thinking about gradually putting our funds into Wellsley. It sure would be easier for our heirs when we cross the metaphorical great waters.

We are 65 and 67 years old.

I am wondering - what are your concerns? How are you addressing them? Do you have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate your contributions to this thread. Thank you!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No perfect answer. In my 401k I have a stable value type fund so that covers my bonds, some fixed income in cash. My wife's IRA bonds are all in Wellesley & Star funds. Just our opinion/hope that VG will manage bonds better than I will. And we have a few ibonds. I have a COLAd pension. Not sure what anyone should do but in my portfolio I don't need treasuries.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #3

I think all of us are in a bit of a quandary. I have been "staying the course," but this situation with treasuries is unsettling.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My bond "approach" is very similar to yakers. I'm fortunate to have a stable value fund in the 401(k). DW has significant exposure to Wellsley/Wellington. We too have I bonds. I also have a modest pension (non-cola'd). I have a small allocation to Vanguard's short-term bond fund. I think that is enough bond exposure (or similar fare). It seems to me that if bonds are a part of your overall strategy (AA) that "tweeking" them should be kept to a minimum. Market timing is rarely effective (unless you get lucky). I wish someone had the crystal ball needed to know what moves to make. I'm thinking good old diversification is still the best game to play here. Any suggestion I would have would be along those lines - diversify if you haven't already done so. I know very little about this stuff, so a big YMMV is in order. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know! Honestly, right now, I'm more concerned about stocks!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think that the Vanguard TIPS fund could be partially replaced with i-bonds (partially because there is a limit on the amount of i-bonds you can buy every year). And yields on CDs are competitive with the Vanguard Intermediate treasuries fund. So I would go the i-bond/CD direction to limit my downside (and that's what I have done).
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
I think all of us are in a bit of a quandary. I have been "staying the course," but this situation with treasuries is unsettling.
What "situation" are you talking about?

If you are concerned with rising interest rates, you can either go very short duration and take reduced coupon income, or you can pursue alternatives. The most obvious alternative to me would simply be to find some CDs with reasonably attractive yields vs. treasuries and modest early surrender penalties.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I think that the Vanguard TIPS fund could be partially replaced with i-bonds (partially because there is a limit on the amount of i-bonds you can buy every year). And yields on CDs are competitive with the Vanguard Intermediate treasuries fund. So I would go the i-bond/CD direction to limit my downside (and that's what I have done).
I hadn't thought of IBonds - thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
+1. I haven't figured out what new "situation" you're talking about either. Was it the Bernstein thread on Bogleheads? The Bernstein interview was just another (good) "no place to hide, stay the course" piece it seemed...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Is this the situation?

Fed's Williams: May start tapering QE this summer - MarketWatch
Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

While I'm not sure what situation you are referring to either, I haven't been keen on treasuries because the rewards are so small in relation to the risks (inflation, interest-rate). The best I have come up with so far is a mix of intermediate term corporate, high yield corporate with a bit of short term corporate and GNMAs (all funds). When Vanguard finally debuts its foreign bond fund I'll probably make that 10-30% of my fixed income allocation (still pondering).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Or is this the situation?

Bullard Says Fed

- George Orwell

Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I sense a bit of dissension in the ranks...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I sense a bit of dissension in the ranks...
Well, let us consult the ultimate source of all answers...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ball.jpg (26.8 KB, 6 views)

- George Orwell

Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You might consider Vanguard's relatively new short term inflation protected securities fund. I have moved some of my TIPS money there because I noticed that the duration on the regular Vanguard TIPs fund is rather long, so they can be expected to lose value when interest rates increase. Of course, the coupon goes from something like -1% to -2% so at current rates of inflation the short term TIPS fund's yield is not much better than a MM fund. However, it is attractive as a way to protect yourself if inflation and interest rates both increase.
MikeTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post

If you are concerned with rising interest rates, you can either go very short duration and take reduced coupon income, or you can pursue alternatives. The most obvious alternative to me would simply be to find some CDs with reasonably attractive yields vs. treasuries and modest early surrender penalties.
Sorry I wasn't very clear...yes, the situation is interest rate risk that I am concerned about. Similarly to FireD, CD's and I-Bonds look more stable going forward. Right now I am inclined to open a Roth CD for this year (actually, 2012); We have a neighborhood bank nearby that had only one foreclosure during the recent housing crisis. I'll let the other parts of our portfolio stay put.

Some food for thought: John Bogle gave an interview (sorry, I can't provide a link) that he is concerned with what is happening with TIPS and Treasuries right now re: rising interest rates. There is, of course, lots of info on the Boglehead site.

Thanks a lot for your continuing response, Everyone!
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The real return on TIPS ranges from about negative 1.5% for 5-years to about +0.6% for 30-years.

FRB: H.15--Selected Interest Rates

A 30% holding of these in a portfolio from which one is targeting a 2-4% SWR puts an awful lot of pressure on the rest of the portfolio.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
gone traveling

Look at the diversification you are getting in your equity holdings, but conversely you are very concentrated to govt securities on the bond side. Therefore, I would try to diversify a bit more on the bond side, maybe adding a diversified bond fund like PTTRX (or BOND etf), short-int term corporate, high yield/floating rate, and a perhaps foreign and emerging markets bond funds. Of course, not a bad idea to have some cash or short term equivalents.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #18
gone traveling

I would make sure of your situation as oppossed to how much you leave your daughter
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
The real return on TIPS ranges from about negative 1.5% for 5-years to about +0.6% for 30-years.

FRB: H.15--Selected Interest Rates

A 30% holding of these in a portfolio from which one is targeting a 2-4% SWR puts an awful lot of pressure on the rest of the portfolio.
I purchased the TIPS for my Roth IRA starting 2006. I'm inclined to check out our local credit union, which have relatively decent rates, and I would not have the concern about rising interest rates.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Look at the diversification you are getting in your equity holdings, but conversely you are very concentrated to govt securities on the bond side. Therefore, I would try to diversify a bit more on the bond side, maybe adding a diversified bond fund like PTTRX (or BOND etf), short-int term corporate, high yield/floating rate, and a perhaps foreign and emerging markets bond funds. Of course, not a bad idea to have some cash or short term equivalents.
Thanks DFW,
I created the portfolio allocation with the Bogleheads around 2006 - before the crash. I will check out the bond funds you mentioned; but, I would like to keep those funds with Vanguard for ease of paperwork.