Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

'Tis the season for Gift Card Discounts!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

'Tis the season for Gift Card Discounts!

At this time of year a lot of stores offer various gift cards at discounts, sometimes substantial, both online and in store, a lot tend to cluster around Black Friday, but many are often available thru Xmas, and some into the new year.

I look for iTunes Gift Card discounts this time of year, and buy enough to load up my account to pay for next years video streaming subscriptions like Netflix to my AppleTV and iBook and music purchases. Missed the recent Best Buy discount of 20%, but caught the recent Costco.com 17.5% discount to members (visible when you log in). I use this site https://mobile.twitter.com/itunescar...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

BTW I've noticed out Costco offers 20% off PFChangs most of the year, among several other gift cards at good discounts.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
BTW I've noticed out Costco offers 20% off PFChangs most of the year, among several other gift cards at good discounts.
I was at Costco yesterday. They do have a nice selection of 20% off cards. Our local store has many more gift cards than are listed on the online site. I bought a $100 card for a regional restaurant for $80 and two movie tickets for $17.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you buy from Papa Johns frequently, they have a great deal currently: for every $25 in e-gift cards you buy off of their website between November 21-December 22, you get a free 1 topping large pizza. You can use the e-gift card to buy a pizza over the phone or on-line. They often have specials where you can get a medium or large pizza for just $7 or $10, so with that $25 gift card you could get 2-3 pizzas, plus another free 1 topping large pizza.

Only 'catch' is that you have to use up your free pizza code by January 22.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #4

I use Great Clips for haircuts and currently, you can buy a card and load it with money for $9.99 haircuts. Check your local salon.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 PM   #5

I get the Costco cards...Peets when they go one sale for $70 for $100 in cards and Sees during the holidays to send to folks in the Midwest and other coast.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #6

One of our favorite local restaurants had a buy a $100 gift card and get an additional $40 card. Was too good to pass up...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I use Great Clips for haircuts and currently, you can buy a card and load it with money for $9.99 haircuts. Check your local salon.
It was $10.99 for me.
Valid for 10 haircuts.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a local restaurant that we bought gift cards from for the past two years. I don't think we will be doing that this year. They have a policy of not allowing you to pay gratuity with their gift cards, so either need to pay cash or use another credit card. Too much hassle.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
If you buy from Papa Johns frequently, they have a great deal currently: for every $25 in e-gift cards you buy off of their website between November 21-December 22, you get a free 1 topping large pizza. You can use the e-gift card to buy a pizza over the phone or on-line. They often have specials where you can get a medium or large pizza for just $7 or $10, so with that $25 gift card you could get 2-3 pizzas, plus another free 1 topping large pizza.

Only 'catch' is that you have to use up your free pizza code by January 22.
Papa John's has an even better deal through Groupon right now. 2 free large 1 toppings when you buy a $25 gift card (for $25). Same expiration on those 2 free pizza coupons (1/22). https://www.groupon.com/deals/papa-john-s-719151372 <-- limited time offer

I bought this through a cash back portal (ebates) and got $1.50 back (plus $0.50 for 2% cashback credit card).

For new Grouponers, there are coupons that might give you another $5 off.

Then when you redeem, there's almost always a 40-50% off coupon or BOGO coupon which makes large 1 toppings come in around $7. We usually get 2 large 1 toppings for right around $15 including tax.

To further sweeten the deal, you can wait for a "spend $15 and get a free pizza" deals. Expect one for the superbowl, and maybe one at some earlier point in time (New years??).

To summarize, I'll get 2 free large 1 toppings, 4 pizzas using the gift card plus a few more dollars, and snag another 1-2 pizzas using the "spend $15, get a free pizza" deal. That's 7-8 pizzas for $28-30. Or about $4 per pizza.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Dollar General has a few cards at Buy 1 get $10 off second card. I bought $10 Burger King and got a $10 BK for free. Also, bought some $15 Taco Bell and got second TB for $5. So, 50% off BK and 33% off TB. Also in this offer is TGIf, Chili's Cabela's and Domino's, but they start at $25 on each card so they are "only" 20% off and not as good as BK and TB.
This promotion may run until sometime in Dec., but not sure. Some reports of stores sold out on them and waiting to restock, also some stores require cash, but mine did not.No limit to my knowledge. ( I bought a bunch)
Dave J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
It was $10.99 for me.
Valid for 10 haircuts.
You're correct. It was $9.99 last year. Just bought mine this evening.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #12

$100 gift card to Lucille's BBQ for $70 this week at Costco. I had to snag one - couldn't resist. Great ribs!
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote