To be or not to be (early SS or not) ...?

Um, no. Spousal benefits still exist. Basically, you can collect a spousal benefit if it's greater than what you'd get on your own work record, as long as your higher-earning spouse is collecting their own SS benefit.

Benefits For Your Spouse

Thanks for clarification!

So the so-called "deferral" option is not available anymore (IIRC how it used to be), which was too sweet to exist

If you are on Facebook, there is a group called "Social Security intelligence" specifically for asking, and sharing info about Social Security. The group leader and one of the moderators are both certified financial planners (full disclosure, I am the other moderator). https://www.facebook.com/groups/428684237572614

In addition to deciding when to start SS, you need to look at each of your earnings and eligibility via your "my ss" account at ssa.gov, the amount you have in pre-retirement accounts plus your total income each year from other souces. Taking SS too early may mean less for your spouse if you die. Also, not withdrawing enough from pre-tax retirement accounts before RMD may result in higher taxes plus higher Medicare premiums.

Yes, but as the situation first crops up for someone it's fine for them to ask "for the first time." To OP: I was originally going to collect at age 62, but deferred because my SS benefit is higher than DW. Short of some traumatic accident it's extremely likely DW will outlive me, so we deferred to make sure DW gets that higher SS widow death benefit. Something to consider.

We are in the same situation. My husband is six years older than me and has a higher benefit so he will wait til 70 and we'll see what I do.

I think what FI_RElater was referring to was a strategy where a spouse would file to claim spousal benefit only whlie letting the benefit based on their work record grow and that strategy was closed off a few years ago... now, if you file for a spousal benefit you are deemed to also have filed for your own so you would get the greater of your benefit or the spousal benefit.

However, it's still available for those born before Jan 1, 1954, and, they're at least full retirement age when they apply for the spousal benefit. And, then apply for their own SS at 70. Right? (I hope so, since that's my plan!)

Last edited:
However, it's still available for those born before Jan 1, 1954, and, they're at least full retirement age when they apply for the spousal benefit. And, then apply for their own SS at 70. Right? (I hope so, since that's my plan!)

Yep. I just did it. I turned 66 this month. Filed on-line. Will get my first spousal check next month.

Yep. I just did it. I turned 66 this month. Filed on-line. Will get my first spousal check next month.
We are doing it, too - just made the cut and conveniently I'm just enough older so that when DW turned 62, I turned FRA.

Yes.... you older folks get an advantage.... totally unfair by the way. :D

I missed by 1 year.

Yep, seems like everyone has different answers due to different circumstances. In our case, lower earning DW filed at 62, based purely on “I want it now”. I am delaying for the cheap annuity and the gains from preferred Roth conversions through 2025, when I will be 67. After that, it will be a “see what’s going on” decision. The gains from delaying in order to have enough Roth conversions room far outweigh any gains that MIGHT be there by filing earlier and making more on that amount invested. And if I die earlier than expected and am wrong, well, I won’t be around to hear the “ I told you so”s. It is far easier to take it earlier when the dollar amounts are relatively low compared to the budget, because the increased amount from delaying is less impactful. If you collect $720/mo instead of $1200/mo if your monthly estimated income is $10k/mo, it is no where near the budget anchor compared to whether you collect $2100/mo instead of $3500/mo ( same percentage increase) for the same $10k income.

Meanwhile, we base our budget now, on the assumption that we can withdraw an amount equal to what mine will be about then, ($42k), from cash accounts, since that will be there, then, one way or the other, but we will also base our draw on what the final reduced amount will be then, today, assuming growth equal to 5%. (About half what it has been historically for us, as a fudge factor). That will eliminate almost all after tax cash, and make RMDs less than our draw would be anyway, while minimizing taxes, for all intents and purposes. How much is left in pretax IRA will depend on how much it grows while I reduce it via conversions. There is no “take it early to have more money now” for us. There is more possible income now, by delaying, because there will be more income then. Pretty simple math.

Last edited:
.... I am delaying for the cheap annuity and the gains from preferred Roth conversions through 2025, when I will be 67. After that, it will be a “see what’s going on” decision. The gains from delaying in order to have enough Roth conversions room far outweigh any gains that MIGHT be there by filing earlier and making more on that amount invested. And if I die earlier than expected and am wrong, well, I won’t be around to hear the “ I told you so”s. ....

+1 here... delaying to have more headroom to do low tax-cost Roth conversions... another benefit is that if you die earlier not only will your DW get a higher survivor benefit, she will also have lower RMDs so it is less likely that she will be vaulted into a higher tax rate...or if she is she won't be as deep into that higher tax rate.

DW recently brought up wanting to start SS and I had to explain to her that it reduces the headroom for Roth conversions... I think she got it... in any event, she is off the starting SS bandwagon for now.

+1 here... delaying to have more headroom to do low tax-cost Roth conversions... another benefit is that if you die earlier not only will your DW get a higher survivor benefit, she will also have lower RMDs so it is less likely that she will be vaulted into a higher tax rate...or if she is she won't be as deep into that higher tax rate.

DW recently brought up wanting to start SS and I had to explain to her that it reduces the headroom for Roth conversions... I think she got it... in any event, she is off the starting SS bandwagon for now.

Plus I am guessing that possibly the DW and many others who aren't in charge of the finances, in wanting to take SS earlier are looking at it as having more money to spend vs. just a rearrangement of which pot of monies gets used.

That is a fairly common recommendation for a married couple. Now, go to the bottom of the results page where they allow you to input assumptions for alternative claiming strategies and input each of the following alternative claiming strategies and note the present values: each as early as possible, each at 65, each at FRA, lower earner at FRA and higher earner at 70.

In our case, I found that there was only a 3% difference between the optimal scenario per opensocialsecurity.com and the worst, which was as early as possible... for the age 65 and FRA strategies the difference was less than 1%... IOW, it doesn't matter much.

We're delaying for now because we want to do low-tax cost IRA withdrawals and Roth conversions while we can... other people delay to keep their income low for ACA subsidies... so there are other factors to consider.

Not sure what changed, but in the past Open Social Security always had me taking at 62 and DW at 70. Now it says me at 65 and DW at 70.

But the difference in NPV was only $650, so that $3.60 per month change isn't really worth worrying about. Having said that, I still don't know when I'm going to take it. Probably sometime between 62 and 70.

Back
Top Bottom