Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
Thanks a lot for all your comments. I'll add some comments of my own.
1. The said 825K is only a small% of my entire asset. I also have other stock positions, mainly dividend paying stocks that I intend to hang on.
2. As far as AA, I think I am heavy on cash that can last many years, so my existence will not be affected by this so called big move. Well I do understand that it's not making much to even correct for the 2% inflation.
3. When some says "rebalancing", aren't they also in a way, "timing" it when their AA is not behaving as they prefer?
4. I gather that all of us are actually guessing, as nobody can infact predict what's going to happen!
5. I'm also heavily invested in US treasury direct, to buffer or stabilize or reduce volatility, but that's another story.
6. Some predicts market volatility for the future. Maybe it's old news, but,
markets go into cycles, thus it does not go up forever! correct?
7. If markets go in "cycles", would it be a good idea to slowly buy when you perceives it's on the down side? although we're not going to be right all the time?
8. When you need the money to live on now, who cares about future earning potential! or lost of earning potential.
9. When you don't need the money now, well, you can play the market and be real sophisticated about AA , inflation correction, but since we are all guessing anyway, the most important point is how much we have, the AA secondary.
10. If a real "stagflation" occurs, we are all in trouble. correct?
Let me suggest a different approach. Figure out what you need for retirement make sure that you factor inflation rate of say between 2-4% (or more if your pessimistic/conservative). Use FIRECalc. Then figure out how important the 825K in your overall retirement picture. If you can afford to have the $825K earning 0% nominal and (-2 to -3% after inflation) for many years then it doesn't matter what you do with it.

If you keep the money on the sidelines one of three things is likely to happen.
1. The market continues up (and yes at first approximation the market does go up forever, due to inflation, population growth, and productivity gains). In 5 year (including reinvesting dividends) the Dow will be at 20K, with the traditional 9% a year gains. Is that too optimistic possibly? but far from out of the question.
2. The market goes down 10,000 and you buy, and then turns around and heads up. You own 30% more share than you would have than buying now congratulations on your timing.
3. The market goes down to 10,000 and you are concerned because the economy, market looks scary and you stay on the sidelines. The market goes back and your money stays in cash earning at best the rate of inflation.

It seems to me simplistically you have 1 chance in 3 of doing the right thing.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Decision.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Decision.

After reading about the issue and reading all the comments here,
here is how I decide to divide the 825K all stock portfolio, with due
consideration of my age(62 yrs) and other assets I have.

I decided to stay with Wellington and Wellesley funds since this two will roughly have a balanced 50-50 stock -bond % between them.

I decided to move money from the Dividend growth and Extended market to Intermediate High grade Bond fund.

This will create a 60% Bond and 40% stock portfolio to rebalance later.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

FWIW

I just moved a good chunk of my mom's money currently Vanguard GNMA into Wellington and Wellesley, eventhough this increase her equity to slight over 60%. I figure there is a least chance the W&W managers can navigate the tricky situation with bonds.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I've recently moved more from bonds to cash, but that's not exactly what the OP was talking about.

I've been DCAing into stocks since Feb '09. The recent drop in bond prices has me thinking the 30-year bond bubble is nearing a pop.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Well, I've recently moved more from bonds to cash, but that's not exactly what the OP was talking about.

I've been DCAing into stocks since Feb '09. The recent drop in bond prices has me thinking the 30-year bond bubble is nearing a pop.
This has certainly not been a 30 year bond bubble, unless "bubble" means any bull market. The 10 year treasury note was slightly above 6% as recently as 2000. See chart below.

CBOE Interest Rate 10-Year T-No Index Chart - Yahoo! Finance;

There has been a powerful bull market, and it started from multigenerational high interest rates. But since real rates are now negative, this market had entered a bubble and I believe it might pay to be careful about accepting much duration. It is also true that a large rise in interest rates would put an unsustainable burden on governments at every level, so expect any and all manipulations to be tried to blunt the rise.

Few if any of us alive today will ever again see a bond bull market like this one.

Ha