Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2016, 10:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
I am about to give notice, and could potentially be shown out the door. So I wanted to make sure I have done all the useful things before that happens.

I am thinking of:

1) use up FSA to yearly max
2) visit the dentist
3) do eye exams, make glasses for kids
4) max out the 401(k)
5) make last day early in the month if possible since the health insurance is paid by the employer to the end of the month (at least this is the case for me)

Anything else? Thank you!
If you are doing that much, get a colonoscopy, dermatology check, and any prescriptions filled if you can. If they find something, stay on the clock.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

To-do list before last day
Old 04-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdy2go View Post
I'd like to find a way to remove logos from company shirts so I'm not a walking billboard for my soon-to-be-ex-employer!
Donate them. Maybe they'll show up on the security camera video in a holdup or end up in Haiti.

Funny memories from the days of company phone calling cards- my Ex was canned but it took them over a year to cut off his phone card. He made tons of long-distance calls on it. Then after I lost my job I found months later that he was using the card I'd gotten from my previous employer.

I was afraid that if I confessed to the wrong person we'd get a very large bill. I finally just called the phone company and told them I'd left the employer that was paying the bill.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Complete any unfinished tasks, return any favors, repair any broken relationships, etc., so that you leave as a class act and highly thought of. Avoid looking like "it's all about you." You never know what life will deal you and it's always possible you'll need a recommendation or just a simple favor from a professional relationship after you leave.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:21 AM   #24

There was a time when I thought if I were fired or the victim of a layoff I was prepared to throw myself on the floor wrap my arms around the legs of the provider of the bad news and scream "OH NO MY GOD NO!!!. I felt if there was a dry eye in the house I hadn't done a good job with my act. It wasn't that my job wasn't particularly wonderful or irreplaceable; more I was not prepared to go "quietly into that good night". I was determined to make it as unpleasant as possible.. Dignity you say Naah I don't give a rats whatever about that.... In truth I'd probably just smile take my severance and run...

I've seen so many good people lose their jobs over the years. A portion of my corporate experience has been duck and cover every few years. My buddy Kenny was there to help a colleague faint dead away when he got the news. Kenny lasted a few more years before he too was booted after 38 years of service. I still think of Bob.. He was in his fifties and very diligent worker when they forced him to retire (he lost a size able portion of his pension as a result) I went to his retirement dinner and sat next to his wife. She told me he only missed 2 days of work in over thirty years... Bob had been an accident and try as he might he couldn't lift his leg high enough to get on the bus. From that day on I knew the deal the relationship starts new with each paycheck. Mega Corp and I owe each other nothing.

Fast forward to today I'll be 62 in July and I'm coming off a big project. I was asked what I want to do next; I am waiting for an offer and if none comes I suppose I would get about a years severance. I think if I was approached by some unknown to me HR person who called me into an office after I noticed one of those cardboard knockdown boxes near my desk (they are not at all subtle) "Ray we just can't find a good fit... So we will have to part company?"

I would cry with joy and think: God is good thanks for the help pulling the pin.
Even though that tap on the shoulder never came I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't be a better person having lived through it.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by catotx View Post
I am about to give notice, and could potentially be shown out the door. So I wanted to make sure I have done all the useful things before that happens.

I am thinking of:

1) use up FSA to yearly max
2) visit the dentist
3) do eye exams, make glasses for kids
4) max out the 401(k)
5) make last day early in the month if possible since the health insurance is paid by the employer to the end of the month (at least this is the case for me)

Anything else? Thank you!
I scanned and emailed myself many years worth of continuing education certificates.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
I scanned and emailed myself many years worth of continuing education certificates.
With the right software, you can create as many as you want at home.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Steal enough office supplies to last you the rest of your life, especially pencils and paper.
In my case that would have been the office supplies I bought for myself, so of course I'd grab those! Getting Megacorp to buy supplies was harder than getting travel approved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did grab a few of my business cards and threw the rest away. They wouldn't be needing them and neither have I for that matter. I took my name plate for the same reason, but I think I eventually threw it away.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 AM   #29

I personally would not retire unless I had accomplished or had a plan to accomplish everything on the list below within a year of retiring. It's the most comprehensive pre-retirement "checklist" I've found (albeit a bit messy one) and handling the applicable issues it contains provides tremendous peace of mind.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...83420&start=50
Old 04-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Thankfully, I didn't have to make any "repairs," but I am glad I didn't indulge in any "I can retire and you can't, so here's what I really think about you" moments. Toward the end, I got quite annoyed at a couple of people and was tempted to let them know why.

In the end, it wouldn't have made a difference, since the kind of person who most annoys me is the type who always thinks s/he is right.

Anyway, I was asked to return to work part-time as a consultant, which turned out to be a good gig. Yes, I had skills, but all those years of not telling people off probably played a part as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Complete any unfinished tasks, return any favors, repair any broken relationships, etc., so that you leave as a class act and highly thought of. Avoid looking like "it's all about you." You never know what life will deal you and it's always possible you'll need a recommendation or just a simple favor from a professional relationship after you leave.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I did grab a few of my business cards and threw the rest away...........
I saved my business cards and still use them for discounts on airline parking through my former employer.

Better discount than any other, like AAA etc.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #32

I've already started to clean my desk up. I do not want anyone taking over my cube to think I was too much of a slob.

Grab your name plate if you want to be sentimental.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I traveled a lot for work and before I left changed all the hotel and airline frequent flier contact info to personal email and phone. Had some unused airline ticket credits and made sure they went to me.
Bought a good bottle of scotch and a cigar!
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get a new loan (car loan for e.g.) while you have a paycheck and an employer.