Join Early Retirement Today

To-do list before last day
Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

To-do list before last day

I am about to give notice, and could potentially be shown out the door. So I wanted to make sure I have done all the useful things before that happens.

I am thinking of:

1) use up FSA to yearly max
2) visit the dentist
3) do eye exams, make glasses for kids
4) max out the 401(k)
5) make last day early in the month if possible since the health insurance is paid by the employer to the end of the month (at least this is the case for me)

Anything else? Thank you!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 03:02 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Start bringing home personal items.
Purge any personal data from computer.
Copy any business contacts you want to keep in touch with.
Clean up emails. (I had emails with a co-worker about our supervisor. I deleted them to protect him even though he didn't care. Sure, they can bring them back, but why make it easy for them.)
Keep records of vacation/personal leave that are due to you.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hopefully your good with leaving...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:33 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Refinance mortgage if desired, while you have an employer of record
Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steal enough office supplies to last you the rest of your life, especially pencils and paper.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Start bringing home personal items.
Purge any personal data from computer.
Copy any business contacts you want to keep in touch with.
Clean up emails. (I had emails with a co-worker about our supervisor. I deleted them to protect him even though he didn't care. Sure, they can bring them back, but why make it easy for them.)
Keep records of vacation/personal leave that are due to you.
Your list plus the above look good to me.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #7

Print out any copies of Employee Handbook web site that may apply to you.

If you use your business e-mail to access any Web sites (LinkedIn? Company 401(k)? ), change over your contact e-mail NOW. I've always been careful about not doing this; even when changing personal e-mail addresses, I've been very surprised at how many sites needed to have it changed.

Find out how to get COBRA if you'll need it. When I left my last company, it turned out that they farmed that out to a third party that took a couple of weeks to send me the sign-up paperwork. Don't worry, they said. If you need medical care, just tell them you'll sign up for COBRA when the papers arrive. Uh-huh. And I had to do a sprint triathlon before then. Luckily I didn't need medical care.

Print out statements for the company savings plan, just in case; it will make it easier to roll it over to a brokerage account.

Be aware of the provisions of any bonus program payouts. An obscure example: my company had a Wellness program and I'd racked up a ton of brownie points through regular workouts. Just before I quit, I got on the site and converted all the points to $400 worth of Amazon.com credits. Two days after I left, my access to the site was cut off. Funny how HR forgot to tell me that would happen!
Old 04-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #8

It sounds like you've already done this, but triple-check whatever formal notice you'll be providing. It's going to be with you for a long time!

And look forward to it!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Make copies of past performance reviews - keep for maybe a year.
Update resume in case you want to work again someday....much easier to pull it together with current files around you to use as data.

Review your employment contract to ensure you are meeting its requirements in terms of notice given and any non-compete clauses for example.

If you have any possible concern about your health or someone in your family, get a check up before leaving your current insurance.

Make sure you have enough easily available cash to hold you over until your retirement income stream is fully functional.

Think through if there are any really major expenses about to hit you right after you retire (house roof leaking, car is making funny sounds in engine, etc...). Make sure you can handle whatever reasonably may come up.

Pull together a goodbye email to send to friends at work with your future contact information if you wish. Easier to send out on company email just before you leave than from home.

Relax and enjoy your change in life!
Old 04-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the suggestions. All very helpful.

I posted my ER plan in this thread:

Joining the 2016 class
Old 04-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Steal enough office supplies to last you the rest of your life, especially pencils and paper.
Very important. I wish I had done that.

I went back to my office a few days ago and my desk still sits as I left it 2 years ago. No new occupant. And a plastic tub full of pens and pencils in the drawer. I wanted to take them, but it would have looked bad taking them 2 years later. Best to take them before retirement.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very important. I wish I had done that.

I went back to my office a few days ago and my desk still sits as I left it 2 years ago. No new occupant. And a plastic tub full of pens and pencils in the drawer. I wanted to take them, but it would have looked bad taking them 2 years later. Best to take them before retirement.
I didn't do that either before or after retiring, because after all those years of not taking pens and pencils, why break down and start?

So, right after I retired I bought a package of nice ballpoint pens and another package of automatic pencils. These are much higher in quality than the ones Uncle Sam provided for us to use at work. In my 7th year of retirement, I still haven't used even half of the pens and pencils that I bought.

To me it was more than worth the (nearly negligible) cost of those pens and pencils in order to maintain my good opinion of myself.

OK, OK, I admit it . Take me away in chains. Scoundrel that I am, I did take my desk top nameplate and holder. But nobody else has my name, so....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #13

regarding the pens and paper, that's so last century. I'm cleaning my house to sell in preparation for retiring, and I've been finding all kinds of office supplies from past jobs that I now have to recycle or throw out. Everything is so digital now, the demand at home for that stuff just isn't what it used to be. BTW, I even found my old slide rule ;-)
Old 04-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #14

Darn, I wish I had gotten a box of paper clips.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Company issued cellphone. In my case, I had the same number for years. Many personal contact and doctor's offices have that number. I will need to remember to switch to my personal one when I leave.

Company issued credit card. Make sure balance is 0.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Be careful with taking office supplies. Depending on you boss, your company policy, laws, , state, etc ....... you could be fired and lose any DB pension or company match funds that you are not fully vested in. Not worth intentionally taking things home in the last few weeks IMO. Nobody's going to question a few pens or pencils that end up in your pocket at the end of the day. But a few reams of paper, empty folders etc. may not be so easy to explain.

Quote:
Company issued credit card. Make sure balance is 0.
in my case there was atually a small credit left on my account. I tried to get my company to initiate a refund but they weren't interested. Go figure!
Old 04-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post

in my case there was atually a small credit left on my account. I tried to get my company to initiate a refund but they weren't interested. Go figure!
This still bothers you...I can tell

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

OK, OK, I admit it . Take me away in chains. Scoundrel that I am, I did take my desk top nameplate and holder. But nobody else has my name, so....
Ha! I knew it!

I just pitched all my name plates and MegaMotors issued awards into the trash. Why did I even bring them home?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd like to find a way to remove logos from company shirts so I'm not a walking billboard for my soon-to-be-ex-employer!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Ha! I knew it!

I just pitched all my name plates and MegaMotors issued awards into the trash. Why did I even bring them home?
Agh, caught!!!

I should do that too. Or maybe I did when I moved last summer? I can't remember.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote