Join Early Retirement Today

To Move IRA -> 401K-i or Not To Move? ...
Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

To Move IRA -> 401K-i or Not To Move? ...

... this is the question!

I have majority of my tax deferred funds in Vanguard IRAs (~650K).

I would like to take advantage of possibility to save into after-tax IRA with immediate convert to roth-IRA.

My understating is that in my situation I will be liable for pro-rate tax from my total IRA accounts amount.

If I had tax deferred funds in 401-K type accounts instead I would not have this limitation.

Now, Vanguard has 401K-i accounts, but they do not allow roll-over to them from IRAs (why, who knows?! ).

An options I have is to open 410K-i accounts at Fidelity and then roll-over all tax deferred funds from IRAs to Fidelity (unlike Vanguard, Fidelity allows incoming roll-overs from IRAs ).

I am looking for someone who has gone this route and and any feedback/suggestions on the subject.

Thx!

(—Charles Bukowski)
wanaberetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #2

No one has moved IRA to i-401k Fidelity?!

Please share your point if you don't believe in this way!

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 10-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

I understand the concept your referring to but what is a 401k-i?? Never heard of it. Are you talking about a solo 401k?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

its 'individual 401k same as solo as I understand.
have you done this?

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 10-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can a 401k of any type accept a rollover that isn't from another 401k? I thought you had to be able to show that the IRA was a rollover from a previous 401k. Or maybe the rules changed. I know many 401k plans won't accept roll into at all.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

most employer-sponsored 401k accept rollover iras but not all. I plan to do the same thing before the end of this year to get the free roth conversion for 2013. As far as I know solo 401ks are for one-owner, one employee businesses so I think you'd have to fit that qualification. Beyond that I couldn't tell you if there's some special rule that would prevent you from opening a solo 401k and moving rollover ira into it. I think that would be an easy google though... or an irs.gov search maybe.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wannabe,
I'm not quite understanding your question.
Issue 1: Is all your present IRA money pre-tax? If so, then for that money there's no reason not to directly convert it to a Roth IRA if you want. No need to go through a solo 401K.
Issue 2: Do you have self-employed income that would allow you to establish a Solo 401K? If not, then I think this option is closed to you. If you do have such income, is there some reason your contributions to that account would be after-tax?
Issue 3: After you close out your Solo 401K (e.g you've shut down the business, etc), you can roll those funds over to a Roth IRA if you's like. At that point you'd have to pay tax on the funds.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #8

If I understand wannabe correctly, he/she makes too much money to fund a roth ira for 2013 but wants to do the backdoor roth... immediate conversion of a Traditional ira to a roth ira. but this only works if you don't have any other pre-tax iras that mess up the tax equation... do I understand the issue?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

A quick online search leads me to believe that you would have no problem moving a rollover ira into a solo 401k, as long as you are a qualifying business owner and the plan document allows it... because the solo is a qualified retirement plan, just like a traditional 401k.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
If I understand wannabe correctly, he/she makes too much money to fund a roth ira for 2013 but wants to do the backdoor roth... immediate conversion of a Traditional ira to a roth ira. but this only works if you don't have any other pre-tax iras that mess up the tax equation... do I understand the issue?
That is exactly how I read his situation and I fully understand why he wants to create an i401k and move his existing pre-tax IRA into it.

As Sam says, the first question is whether he is eligible to open a solo 401k.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, exactly !

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 10-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

Quote:
A quick online search leads me to believe that you would have no problem moving a rollover ira into a solo 401k, as long as you are a qualifying business owner and the plan document allows it... because the solo is a qualified retirement plan, just like a traditional 401k.
Not true, fir example Vanguard does not allow this rollover

(—Charles Bukowski)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That is exactly how I read his situation and I fully understand why he wants to create an i401k and move his existing pre-tax IRA into it. As Sam says, the first question is whether he is eligible to open a solo 401k.
Well, I do have income from 1099, so assuming I could, yes?

(—Charles Bukowski)