Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
To w*rk or not to w*rk?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
always_learning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 142
To w*rk or not to w*rk?

That is my question.

Assume:
*you had 34 SS credits
*qualified for SS/Medicare based on spouse's record
*did not need the income
*would only earn min wage or thereabouts

Would you go back to w*rk for those extra credits? Assume you are content to stay at home but also wouldn't mind w*rking for a few years, so it's about 50/50 of a do-or-do-not decision. Also assume that spouse says "do what you want". Oh, kids are now out of the house.

Basically, is there a reason for me to get those last few SS credits tucked away while DH works a few more years?
__________________

always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 20,273
It might be worthwhile if the extra income would buy you options you'd really like, such as an extra trip a year or something. But if all the extra SS is going to buy is money for your heirs, then of course no.

And if you land in a good place, I learned a long time ago that the people one works with can make a job even entertaining. Conversely they can also make one miserable and of course you have the option of quitting on the spot if that happens.
__________________

__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
Assume you are content to stay at home but also wouldn't mind w*rking for a few years, so it's about 50/50 of a do-or-do-not decision.
Yep, sounds like a 50/50 decision to me. Flip a coin.
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,964
I wouldn't think of this in terms of credits. Think of it in terms of how much it bumps your SS benefits. You're also going to get paid, so add in that money, after tax. You don't need the income, but would it bring you more security, or extras you would enjoy? And are those worth the extra time working? Look at the whole picture, not just in conceptual SS credits.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
always_learning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 142
Thanks for the input so far! I was hoping to see that I wasn't missing something by just leaving things the way they are. I tried Googling to see if there was a reason for me to go back and get those few credits but my googlefu failed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It might be worthwhile if the extra income would buy you options you'd really like, such as an extra trip a year or something. But if all the extra SS is going to buy is money for your heirs, then of course no.

And if you land in a good place, I learned a long time ago that the people one works with can make a job even entertaining. Conversely they can also make one miserable and of course you have the option of quitting on the spot if that happens.
Hmm... any money would probably just get added to the big pot. Wardrobe, taxes (we're 28% now), and lunch/gas would eat up most of my pay, I would assume.

Yeah, due to the low pay I'd get, it would have to be something I find interesting and no retail hours, so I would be picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
Yep, sounds like a 50/50 decision to me. Flip a coin.
That's what I figured. Maybe I'll get a resume ready and see if anything interesting comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I wouldn't think of this in terms of credits. Think of it in terms of how much it bumps your SS benefits. You're also going to get paid, so add in that money, after tax. You don't need the income, but would it bring you more security, or extras you would enjoy? And are those worth the extra time working? Look at the whole picture, not just in conceptual SS credits.
Oops! I forgot to add that bit, so thanks for bringing it up. My pay when working was low since it was from the ages of 14-23 back when min wage was $3.25 so any SS I would get is much less than half of DH's. We don't need the income so the only reason for me to work would be to get those credits if there is a reason for me to do so. I guess I've looked at the whole picture and it mostly just boils down to those credits being the deciding factor (barring a really interesting opportunity coming along).
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,925
Start a business and pay yourself enough to get credits. It may be easier than working for someone.

I am guessing that the amount of the SS increase would be minimal.
__________________
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,953
Note: If you've been married less than 10 years and happen to get divorced, you would not be eligible to collect on your then ex-spouse's SS. Don't know if this might be a factor in your decision.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
always_learning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Start a business and pay yourself enough to get credits. It may be easier than working for someone.

I am guessing that the amount of the SS increase would be minimal.
I like that idea, but have no idea what I would want to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Note: If you've been married less than 10 years and happen to get divorced, you would not be eligible to collect on your then ex-spouse's SS. Don't know if this might be a factor in your decision.

omni
Thanks for this. Lots of people don't know about that.

We've been happily married well over the 10 year mark so it doesn't apply to me but it might be of help to someone else who might read the thread down the line.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bozeman
Posts: 106
No harm in going out and looking for a job, landing something, and giving it a try. You can always quit if it's not a good fit.
l8_apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM   #10
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
Would you go back to w*rk for those extra credits? Assume you are content to stay at home but also wouldn't mind w*rking for a few years, so it's about 50/50 of a do-or-do-not decision
Personally, unless I needed the money or would feel more secure, I wouldn't go back to work for a few SS credits.

However, I feel strongly that people should continue to work until they really no longer want to work.

I retired, but my wife continues to work. She still loves her work, and lost 8 or so work years in her career while staying at home with the kids.

While we are financially independent and don't need the money, I fully support her decision to continue to work as long as she is physically capable, and as long as she still enjoys it. Once she is done, she will know it. At that point we'll begin some additional travel, move to our second home in an over 55 community, sell our current primary residence, etc. Plenty of time for all that once she is ready.

Meanwhile, I am trying to make things as easy for her as I can. Now that I have the time, I cook, clean, shop, etc. That makes our weekends more enjoyable.

Since you indicate you don't need the money and your husband will be working a few years, you should decide based solely on if you want to work or not.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Beach and Mountain
Posts: 532
NO! Your time is too valuable. Want a list of more important things for you to do?
__________________

Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The site's security certificate is not trusted! (no, not er.org) kaneohe Other topics 6 12-21-2012 08:05 PM
Hello Forum....not quite starting out, not quite ready to FIRE PV4ALL Hi, I am... 5 03-01-2009 11:10 AM
Not Augsburg, not Aachen... Lancelot Life after FIRE 5 07-07-2007 09:00 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×