Join Early Retirement Today

Tony Robbins - An Important Note of Caution
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tony Robbins - An Important Note of Caution

2010 August | Business and Finance

I always thought that Tony Robbins was similar to Dale Carnegie. I listened to one of his tapes and didn't find much enlightening info in it. If others have a different perspective; I'd like to hear it.

I found this video from another forum I read and found it interesting that Tony Robbins is advising caution in the stock market. There are several points of value in the video:
1. A good summary as to the headwinds the economy and stock market faces
2. I'm guessing he has access to high level investors, traders and alike that is giving him some insights.
3. He demonstrates the level of fear and change in sentiment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It seems to me that pundits can always get attention by advising people to pull out of stocks. If the S&P then drops, they were right. If it rises, well, either it could still drop twice as much, or people will forget the advice.

This isn't symmetrical, though. If a pundit tells people to pile into the market and it tanks, there will be calls for his head. It's the difference between a tangible loss and an intangible missed gain.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I give equal weight to investment advice from this modern-day snake charmer and my magic 8 ball: "reply hazy - try again".

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think his summary of the current situation is accurate. We're in what he refers to as a financial "winter" and goes on to say "spring" (better times) are ahead. He bases this on unemployment and low demand for housing, consumer goods and credit.

Around 18:45 he says to expect a "major retracement" in the stock market in late 2010/early 2011. It's unclear why he thinks this will happen but alludes to having heard this from people in the know.

I'm not familiar with Tony Robbins so I don't know much about him or how good he's been in the past. Therefore, I'd be more likely to think he's on to something if more facts were presented. I also noticed one of his recommendations is to "get educated" and says this can be accomplished through his company or "some other place". This make me wonder if this is a way for him to profit from fear.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I did like the way he changed Jack Blacks perception on how he viewed women in Shallow Hal.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I think his summary of the current situation is accurate. We're in what he refers to as a financial "winter" and goes on to say "spring" (better times) are ahead. He bases this on unemployment and low demand for housing, consumer goods and credit.
That is a good catch. I have no way of knowing if he is using those terms as they are used in Kondratiev's waves but, that is where I first read the terms.

Kondratiev wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The phases of Kondratiev's waves also carry with them social shifts and changes in the public mood. The first stage of expansion and growth, the "Spring" stage, encompasses a social shift in which the wealth, capital accumulation, and innovation that are present in this first period of the cycle create upheavals and displacements in society. The economic changes result in redefining work and the role of participants in society. In the next phase, the "Summer" stagflation, there is a mood of affluence from the previous growth stage that change the attitude towards work in society, creating inefficiencies. After this stage comes the season of deflationary growth, or the plateau period. The popular mood changes during this period as well. It shifts toward stability, normalcy, and isolationism after the policies and economics during unpopular excesses of war. Finally, the "Winter" stage, that of severe depression, includes the integration of previous social shifts and changes into the social fabric of society, supported by the shifts in innovation and technology.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I don't trust him. His teeth are too big.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It's funny you said this, because I thought pretty much the same thing. Just something about him makes me suspicious. I still suspect the reason he wanted to share this "important note of caution" is to sell his training classes, books, DVDs, etc. All I can say is my BS detector went off.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Little Red Riding Hood? Is that you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, this guy was pretty good in the movie Shallow Hal. Yeah......I think I will follow his financial advice.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Little Red Riding Hood? Is that you?
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Tony on Family Guy:

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
All I can say is my BS detector went off.
I agree. He was on Larry King the other night and I just got snake oil vibes from him. He divorced his wife when he got famous and then not long afterwards married a woman 20+ years younger than his first wife. Yet he is big on giving relationship advice to other people. He is the last person on the planet I'd want giving relationship advice to my husband.

On the Larry King show they showed him having a guy that was already a paraplegic from a diving accident going sky diving with his wife (who had recently had brain tumor surgery) to change the dynamics of their relationship. To me that just seemed irresponsible.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Stiller does Robbins

Old 08-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
2010 August | Business and Finance

I always thought that Tony Robbins was similar to Dale Carnegie. I listened to one of his tapes and didn't find much enlightening info in it.\
OK, so Tony Robbins has spent his life doing motivational seminars and writing books on the subject. You listen to his message and don't find it enlightening. But he makes some noise about what he thinks the stock market might do and you perk up and take note?? If he knew what the market was going to do, he probably wouldn't spend so much time hawking his tapes and books.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I give equal weight to investment advice from this modern-day snake charmer and my magic 8 ball: "reply hazy - try again".
But you can drop-kick you magic 8 ball!