Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
1. Was there with that Kind of Money and Even alot better now
2. Good Advice from my peers in here
3. I think at our age, if oyu haven't done some Inwesting and have some decent knoweldge about Bonds, etc. by now? It's too late to start.. We' are Not as sharp as we used to be or think we are to contemplate all that stuff... I would go spend a Few dollars and go see at least 2 if not 3 different advisors..or Firms and get their Opinions.. But Prequalify them first as Conservative Investors.. Set the Tone right away with them.. and if they start to show you to own alot of high Risk stuff or Insurance stuff like Annuities? Just Get up and walk out.. and run to your car... don't say nothing either.. Yes, be very rude to them..( I've done that with 3 of 14 I've met over the yrs ..LOL the look on their faces is priceless )

4. Tips are the New Kid on the Block.. Only been out since 01'.. and they are subject to Congressional and Gov't Scrutiny...they can change the game anytime and rumor has it they plan to again... Hope Barney Franks isn't involved...LOL

5. I did the old diversified trick with The usual Suspects> TIPS, GNMA's, Couple of Different Treas. and 10% in Some Conservative Balanced Funds like Hussmans *HSTRX & HABDX and for some extra ideas tooo..(* Got him as soon as they went public in 03' , again per my advisor)

6. And Hope you have gone thru a few courses figure out how much you need per yr. to last you & her till age 90 at least and used at least a 4% Inflation rate..? ( I used 5% ) We'll probably need double in 18 yrs from now vs what we need now..maybe even more if Obama and his Guys and Gals don't Pull some hat tricks..

7. And maybe? We will have another Carter yrs that had Those Nice 12%+ /30 yr LT Treasuries? even at 8-10%, Count me in.. Can only hope...LOL

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!