Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2011, 08:50 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I went and bought the bogleheads guide to retirement planning can't put it down then I got out all of my investments and looked at. Expense ratio to high 1.26 avg then load 5.75 avg. And then 12b1fee .25 I will be looking into moving them it's just like everything else in life you need to learn it all. Thanks again.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pick up the Bogleheads guide to investing also.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #23

I think your chances of finding an FA who is worth 1% is zero, however, if you can find one that pays an hourly rate, it's probably worth it to sit down with one and do a complete review of your finances. Or you can start reading, I recommend "The truth about money" by Edelman.
TJ
Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Did my research and can move both Roth Ira from American century no cost and I can move my business simple Ira no charge to vanguard. I'm 43 for both Roths vanguard showed me

56%-total stock market index
24%-total international stock index
20%-total bond market index fund.

Let me know what you think
Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #25

If both Roths are yours, then no reason not to combine them into one single Roth account when you move to Vanguard. Are you still contributing to the Simple IRA?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #26

A good, simple diversified portfolio. Are you comfortable with 80% equities? Imagine a 50% loss - which means your portfolio drops 40% in value. Could you stay the course?

FWIW that is what I had during the meltdown and I was comfortable but I have a recession proof job (2 of them) and make enough money I could recoup losses if there wasn't a recovery. YMMV.

DD
Old 07-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

1 Roth Is mine put 4k a yr. And other is my wife 4k a yr. And max out simple with11500 a year

Ya 80% might be to much
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I do not have financial advisors.
Aren't you 100% in cash? If so, why would you need an advisor?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowx800 View Post
Ya 80% might be to much
Maybe, maybe not.

During our accumulation years (25+ years of contributions), DW/me ran 90-95% equities. The reason? Our retirement investments did not supply current cash flow, and met our risk assessment, for that time of our life.

Over 3-5 years before our planned joint retirement, we moved to a 60/40 "early retirement" AA.

I've been retired a bit over four years. DW decided to remain wor*ing (not mentally ready for retirement, even if financally so), and over that time we've moved our joint AA to a 50/50 mix. That was due to a few things, which included being beyond initial retirement (for me), getting older - and realizing that we still meet our plan, with a bit less risk.

80% equities may be too much - or to little. It all depends on your situation and your time in life. Everybody's different, and AA's usually don't remain the same over your entire lifetime...

Just one additional question. If you went with less equities (when you could "afford it") and found you did not meet "your number" once you faced retirement, would you be willing to take a greater equity risk, later in life? Just a question - you have to supply your own answer.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Are most of you with vanguard One of my FA had nothing good to say ? I mixed it up with different company's thinking not trust just one now in moving a lot to one company ?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are most of you with vanguard One of my FA had nothing good to say ? I mixed it up with different company's thinking not trust just one now in moving a lot to one company ?
Most people on here arer with Vanguard, or Fidelity, or both. Some also do hold assets with Schwab. Most do not have any investments with advisors. This forum is DIY (Do It Yourself).........

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #32

Quote:

Hahaha, your advisor had nothing good to say because he/she can't figure out a way to get paid.

Run Forrest run!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Hahaha, your advisor had nothing good to say because he/she can't figure out a way to get paid.
Kind of like buying a car through Sams Club?

Old 07-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you recommend just using vanguard or use fidelity also
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Pick one, you're good either way. I use Vanguard, no reason I know of to use both.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Kind of like buying a car through Sams Club?
I didn't care where they bought them, they still had to pass through door #2.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Snow, Suggest you call both Vang and Fido customer service with your needs and see what they recommend in terms of how they can help you get your assets moved to their company. Look at their websites and see which sites are most comfortable. Check Kiplinger and Smart Money rating for best brokers and look at how each is ranked on items most valuable to you.
As others have said, both are good but you want to find the one that works best for you.
I have both and use them for different reasons. Fido has the majority because of the problem solving capabilities and better web resources.
Nwsteve
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #38
gone traveling

Quote:
Are most of you with vanguard ?
We're about 65% FIDO / 35% VG.

Both have their good/bad points. Why not take advantage of the best of both?

We have our investments diversified, why not our investment companies?
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme
We're about 65% FIDO / 35% VG.

Both have their good/bad points. Why not take advantage of the best of both?

What are there good and bad point in your opinion.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
^ Isn't that kind of an ironic response considering the how this whole thread got started and its title?

If I had to have only one vendor, it would be Wells Fargo. Vanguard would be second, TDAmeritrade third, and Fideilty fourth. We have accounts with all of them. The differences among them are very small though, so if one found a compelling reason to pick one over the others, then I would not argue with that.

Good / bad points:

WF: Everything is free to us. No commissions on Vanguard ETFs, other ETFs, Vanguard mutual funds that we want to own. Free checking, free bill pay, many local banks to walk into, free ATM, free overseas ATM. Great trade executions (ever buy ETFs at BELOW the reported low of the day?). Best for correct and complete 1099s. I don't care about research and I don't care about number of funds, etc.

Vanguard: No commissions on things I want to use, but no local office. 1099s not as good as WF. Unlike WF, mutual fund side is not seamless with brokerage side.

TDAmeritrade: Everything that I want to use (ETFs) is no commission. A nice local office. But 1099s not as good as WF. I would have to pay a commission on a Vanguard mutual fund if I wanted to go that route. Also, unlike WF, I would have to pay commission on no-fee ETFs if I did not hold them long enough.

Fidelity: No commissions on many ETFs, but I prefer Vanguard ETFs which Fidelity would charge me a commission to buy/sell. I use Fidelity Spartan Index funds in my 401(k), but would not use any of their other funds. Great web site and great retirement income planning tools though. Local office, but I've never been in it.