Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 AM   #21
gone traveling

100k VTI 100k VXUS in 2 purchases and forget about it while enjoying 5k in dividends.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
100k VTI 100k VXUS in 2 purchases and forget about it while enjoying 5k in dividends.
Please help me with this...If I look up dividend history on VTI from Vanguard's website for 2014, I see there were 4 dividend distributions totaling $1.869/sh. At about $107/sh, my math says I could buy about 935 shares with $100,000 and at $1.869/sh, I would receive only $1748 in dividends per year. Is this correct?

And if VTI and VTSMX hold the same stocks in the same proportions, why are the dividend percentage payouts different?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Please help me with this...If I look up dividend history on VTI from Vanguard's website for 2014, I see there were 4 dividend distributions totaling $1.869/sh. At about $107/sh, my math says I could buy about 935 shares with $100,000 and at $1.869/sh, I would receive only $1748 in dividends per year. Is this correct?

And if VTI and VTSMX hold the same stocks in the same proportions, why are the dividend percentage payouts different?
VXUS is not VTSMX.....it yields 2.8% while VTI yields about 1.85.
So to be exact you are looking at 4600 USD. With some anticipated dividend yield growth 5k in next 12 months.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
VXUS is not VTSMX.....it yields 2.8% while VTI yields about 1.85.
So to be exact you are looking at 4600 USD. With some anticipated dividend yield growth 5k in next 12 months.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't do the math on on VXUS, but at 2.8% on that, plus the 1.85% on VTI, I see where you are coming from.

My comment on the dividend difference between VTI and VTSMX, wasn't related to your advice, just a general observation I made comparing the dividend payout of the Total Stock Market Index Fund to the Total Stock Market ETF.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't do the math on on VXUS, but at 2.8% on that, plus the 1.85% on VTI, I see where you are coming from.

My comment on the dividend difference between VTI and VTSMX, wasn't related to your advice, just a general observation I made comparing the dividend payout of the Total Stock Market Index Fund to the Total Stock Market ETF.
I think difference is because VTI has much lower fees than VTSMX.
0.05 versus 0.17

So going to original threat......I would buy 1000 VTIs and 2000 VXUS in 2 trades. You need about 206k for that.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
At this point I'm looking for advice and opinions whether to put the $200,000 back into the market at my chosen asset allocation, all at once, or income average it in over 6 months, one year, or longer. Or, given the current state of the market, maybe hold more in cash than my standard asset allocation.
I would say it depends on what your "chosen asset allocation" is. If it's well-diversified (e.g at least US stocks, foreign stocks, and bonds), then I would be much less hesitant to go all-in immediately than if you were going to put it all into a single asset class.

Most of the "all-in or DCA" discussions I've seen pertain to putting all the money into a single asset class (usually US stocks).
Old 08-13-2015, 09:28 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuddha View Post
Wait until September. There are some prophecies - taken seriously by Christians and Jews - that the stock market will crash in September 2015. If they take their money out it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy and then everything would be on sale.

Dave Ramsey has been alluding to this a lot lately, trying to tell his Christian audience how stupid they are to believe in such things. But the frequency of his references to it just show how pervasive the beliefs are.
Just curious as to what prophecies they are taking about ?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
The dawning of the age of Aquarius
Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #29

Gotta admit it was a nice troll from a one-and-done though.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Wait until September. There are some prophecies - taken seriously by Christians and Jews - that the stock market will crash in September 2015. If they take their money out it could become a self-fulfilling prophecy and then everything would be on sale.

Dave Ramsey has been alluding to this a lot lately, trying to tell his Christian audience how stupid they are to believe in such things. But the frequency of his references to it just show how pervasive the beliefs are.
It is very funny to me that you (with the username of TheBuddha) talking about prophecies by Christians and Jews. You have only one post, so maybe you made this username just for this post? (Sorry if I offended anyone with my post...) I had a good laugh.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I would say it depends on what your "chosen asset allocation" is. If it's well-diversified (e.g at least US stocks, foreign stocks, and bonds), then I would be much less hesitant to go all-in immediately than if you were going to put it all into a single asset class.

Most of the "all-in or DCA" discussions I've seen pertain to putting all the money into a single asset class (usually US stocks).
No, I would say most "all-in" people are saying to allocate your money according to your AA. If you are currently 60/40 stocks and want to stay 60/40 stocks, put 60% of the new money into stocks, and 40% into whatever non-equities you use.

This is also a chance to rebalance, so if your goal it 60/40 but you are actually 65/35, you put less than 60% into stocks to get your AA to 60%.

The only time I'd say to put it into a single asset class is if that was what was required to get your portfolio into your desired AA.

Market timers probably look at this differently, if they think stocks are set to take off they would probably say to put it 100% into stocks. Conversely if it's not a good time, they would say to leave it out of the market until there is a buying opportunity. Or maybe somewhere between the two, to hedge their bets.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I think it's called the Shemitah or Blood Moon.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:

With this knowledge you are in unique position to make %$#&^% of money
Old 08-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #34
Confused about dryer sheets

I retired at the end of 2013 and had a lump some of $600,00 from my pension. I was scared of a correction and chose to dollar cost avg over 6 months. My return for 2014 was just over 3% vs about 12% for the S&P that year. My vote is to put all money into your asset allocation and let it ride. Long term investing is the way to go. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.....
Old 08-13-2015, 11:40 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, gosh. Predicting a downturn in the stock market for a September doesn't exactly require divine powers.

Attachment 22162

http://www.yardeni.com/pub/stmktreturns.pdf
Old 08-14-2015, 12:31 AM   #36

1. One theory is to allocate it all now, particularly if you're going to put it in a diverse bundle of assets (including bonds) rather than all stocks.
2. Alternative, if you'll regret investing before a 5-15% market correction, dollar cost average into the stock component, over a given period (10% every month for 10 months; or 20% every other month for 10 months or. . . )
3. Or, given your allocation, use whatever percentage is necessary to rebalance your current allocations, then dollar cost average the rest.
4. Or put in a % allocation (30%/40%); wait for a 5-10% correction, put in another 30%, then dollar cost the rest.
Whatever floats your boat and helps you sleep.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #37

I had a similar situation a while back when I sold a flip.

Make sure you will not be paying any taxes on any gains. If so, set that aside.

Pay any debt that you have that is > 5%, for sure. I used it to pay off a 5.375% mortgage on a rental property.

If you are worried about the market dropping, buy $10K to $20K a month of your asset allocation.

You can also use it to move income from this year to next. If you have any withholding, or need to pay estimated taxes, send in extra. You will get it back next year, but will get a larger deduction for taxes paid in 2015, and offset income at a higher tax bracket. That effectively switches income from 2015 to 2016, when you will get the excess refunded. Use the cash from the sale to live on, while you increase your withholding.

If you retire mid-next year, any additional taxes paid this year will be saving 25%+ income tax. Next year it might be lower with a lower taxable income.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote