Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Too much in tax-sheltered, not enough in taxable?
Old 03-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Too much in tax-sheltered, not enough in taxable?

I'm 45, still working, and my nest egg is 10% more than I need to retire and start living off SWR.

However, most of that nest egg is locked up in tax-sheltered accounts for another 14.5 years (when I turn 59 1/2).

My taxable accounts make up only a small portion of my nest egg. in fact, if I did retire now, calculations project my taxable would run out by the time I turn 54.

Any suggestions? Anyone FIRE at an early age, and burn through their taxable accounts before they hit 59 1/2? I'd like to avoid SEPP'ing if I can.
bribri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Roth conversion pipeline would be worth looking into.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
or use the 72t.
Or keep working but stuff it into taxable accounts.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to avoid 72t (SEPP) distributions, how about a plan to work for another 5 years, focused mainly on beefing up the after-tax accounts. That does 2 things...increases the amount you have to live on before you turn 59.5 and decreases the number of years you have to pay for with it. If I were you I would still contribute to the 401k if your employer has a matching program. It doesn't have to be 5 years...try to calculate how much your after-tax accounts will grow per year and what your cumulative expenses are likely to be until you're 59.5, and when the curves cross, pull the trigger!
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

Roth conversions can be withdrawn (converted amount only, no earnings) after 5 years before 59.5 without penalty. You would need 5 years worth of spending in after tax before the Roth conversion could be useful.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree with brewer12345 on using Roth conversions to get some of your tax sheltered money to where it can be withdrawn penalty free before age 59 1/2. Any money you convert to a Roth in 2015 can be withdrawn in 2020 without penalty. Similarly, conversions in 2016 will be penalty free in 2021. With so many years to plan ahead, you can easily make enough Roth conversions early in retirement to satisfy the five year rule and have enough in penalty free withdrawals to bridge the gap until you turn 59 1/2.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

An SEPP is also viable. You only need ~6 years to bridge the gap. The rules say that as long as your SEPP has been running at least 5 years by the time you hit 59.5 you can stop the payouts without any penalty.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just to mention it: If the tax-deferred money is in a 401K, you may be able to get at it penalty-free starting when you are 55. The problems are:
1) You have to separate from service in that year or after (not before). It sounds like you don't want to wait that long to quit. But if you worked part time there or somewhere else (roll it over to the new employer), you'd still be "in service"--if you wanted to do that for 10 years.
2) The "plan document" for the 401K must allow for these finds of withdrawals. Some do, some don't.

Other than that--SEPP or Roth Conversion is what occur to me.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

The E-R thread below has some good suggestions.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tax-74920.html
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

+1 with brewer. Since your gap is only 5 1/2 years, I suspect that Roth conversions alone would probably do the trick. Or SEPP. Or both if necessary.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote