Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

What's AA stand for? It's not in the Acronyms list.
Automatic Allocation?
Annualized Annuity
Alcoa ticker?

Anyway, I just don't trust many of the long range financial predictors.. I think we're in a era, and a lot of things can go wrong. 2008 crash blew away many of those, and it seems like it's even more dangerous now. I guess I have low tolerance for volatility now, and should adjust my settings based on that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
It's the very first item on the Acronym's list: AA = Asset Allocation

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

oh, hmm, I was looking here:
* Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum *
and here:
Financial Acronyms Terms | Investopedia

I was close I guess haha.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Apparently there are two acronym lists, the one you found is less current than this one in the FAQ's: * Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum *

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Anyway, I just don't trust many of the long range financial predictors.. I think we're in a era, and a lot of things can go wrong. 2008 crash blew away many of those, and it seems like it's even more dangerous now. I guess I have low tolerance for volatility now, and should adjust my settings based on that.

"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
Old 10-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #46

The great advantage of indexing and rebalancing to an AA is that it stops you from being paralysed by indecision when the market gets volatile. If the OP stuck to that play book they wouldn't be fretting.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
+1
Old 10-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
The great advantage of indexing and rebalancing to an AA is that it stops you from being paralysed by indecision when the market gets volatile. If the OP stuck to that play book they wouldn't be fretting.
The plan and AA keeps you from over thinking the situation and virtually eliminates the decision making process. This has enabled a guy like me to become FI while a brilliant anyalist (like my boss) is working well into the next decade.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Keep in mind, the single biggest driver of your portfolio performance is asset-allocation!!
Proper asset-allocation is the best hedge you can have. Granted, today it's difficult to allocate fixed income, because bonds are at record highs, and interest rates at record lows. (think SHORT TERM). Wait for a pull-back in the equity markets before allocating any new money into stocks and you'l be fine.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsore13194 View Post
Keep in mind, the single biggest driver of your portfolio performance is asset-allocation!!
I'd say the returns on your investments is the bigger driver.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #51

Retired 7 years. We are always fully invested in div paying equities. Cash only held to cover lumpy expenditures. We treat pensions as FI proxy. Very simple for us- just spending the divs. About 3.75% yield presently. Since retirement total returns about 10% CAGR -good enough for me. We have a very high tolerance for equity risk and would never sell in a down market. hardly trade at all, maybe 1-2 times a year and hardly ever in the taxable accounts. Basically ignore AA as I can't change our pensions which represent about 50% of our income.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I am with the stable AA folks. That helped me weather the big downturns with not much more than a yawn. I fiddle around at the edges by timing my liquidation events for annual expenses and occasionally buy up a bit of equities but I always hover near the 60/40 level.
Yawn. Horseshoe and hand grenade wise. 1970 about 60/40 - 2013 about 60/40.

Stay the course (Bogle) in hindsight caused some tense spincter tightening over some bear markets in the past but 20 years in ER has helped.

I do find it mildly irritating that I did the best by doing nothing and letting the computers rebalance my balanced funds.

heh heh heh -
Old 10-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #53

Quote:
With this market outperforming long term 10% average, it certainly seems likely it's going to correct again.

I'd like to stop worrying and just balance my portfolio, but the market is driving me crazy!

What are you all doing with new cash? How much do trust the general advice.
As several have already indicated, figure out how much you'd like to invest and dollar cost average (divide in 4 and invest a 1/4th every 2-3 months).

I'm getting close to 5%+ on my stock allocation % so it's getting close to a question of when I should rebalance and from what funds. Same kind of dilemma, although I do have a process.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #54

Wanted to join the discussion, but don't have any investments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whatmeworry.jpg (12.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

We don't really have an asset allocation (gasp!), but this forum has taught me to think of our pensions as bonds, which means pretty much everything else except emergency funds, real estate, and those darned tax-deferred annuities, needs to be in stocks. So my TSP account is in one of the stock-heavier lifestyle funds. As for taxable accounts, I have been steadily dollar-cost-averaging into VG Total Stock, no matter what the market does. When a little bit extra comes along (capital gains distribution, say), that goes into VG Total Stock also.

Amethyst
Old 10-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I received a large lump sum payment on the sale of my last big Building in April of this year....just after the market had risen about 25%. Ouch!

The market really freaked me out....so I held back on investing it for a while....probably would have done well just putting it all in, but I did wait until there were drops in the market & generally spread it among my Vanguard accts in installments when DJIA was under 15000.

So far, knock on wood, I have done better than I expected....hope it stays that way....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman View Post
Smartest thing I ever did years ago, for my peace of mind and investment performance, was determining the asset allocation I'm comfortable with, setting my portfolio to that, and then completely ignoring the market. No more decision making, no more worry, no more 'nuthin except rebalancing once in a blue moon.
+1
Old 10-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Landlady View Post
I received a large lump sum payment on the sale of my last big Building in April of this year....just after the market had risen about 25%. Ouch!

The market really freaked me out....so I held back on investing it for a while....probably would have done well just putting it all in, but I did wait until there were drops in the market & generally spread it among my Vanguard accts in installments when DJIA was under 15000.

So far, knock on wood, I have done better than I expected....hope it stays that way....
History would suggest that you'll do well in the long run, but you can plan on some painful corrections along the way - it probably won't just "stay that way." That's what investing is all about (vs market timing)...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote