Took the plunge... Utah UESP/Vanguard 529 plan

wilkens21

Recycles dryer sheets
Was going thru a bunch of plans and plopped a few thousand bucks to open up an account for my firstborn for the UESP 529 plan this week.

had been going back/forth with this 529 vs the Nevada/Vanguard and Alaska/T Rowe Price, but ultimately was convinced that Utah was the better choice (at least for my family's needs).

It's weird now having to account for this expense (will be doing the monthly DCA after the initial lump sum amount to avoid random fees), in addition to IRA, 401K's, insurance, etc...

Kids definitely cost a lot of money. But they are so worth it! ;)

How are your experiences with whatever 529 plan that you've chosen?

We just cashed out our Utah UESP plans for the tax deduction. It's a good plan. You have chosen wisely.

We are in the UESP 529 plan, and are still down quite a bit. Luckily, the kids are still young. We chose a "fixed" equities (10% international) option rather than the age-based options. I'm considering changing to the 30% international option at some point.

If you live in Utah, be sure to watch for the UESP section on your Utah tax return.

When our daughter was 2 -- she's 27 now! -- DH and I invested in one of the first pre-paid tuition plans in the nation. That $7,400 paid her full tuition/fees at an outstanding state school, with several smaller scholarships covering the rest of her costs. Sure was a good investment....one year of tuition/fees would have been in excess of $10,000 without the plan.

Congratulations on setting up your plan for your child!

Back
Top Bottom