Join Early Retirement Today

Top 1%
Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Top 1%

Who is the top 1%? Any ideas? We have all these people wearing badges that say 99%.

People who have defined benefit pensions might have to consider themselves part of the 1% if they compare how much their net worth would have to be to actually be able to receive the pension for 30 years.

What do you think?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
Who is the top 1%? Any ideas? We have all these people wearing badges that say 99%.
Really? How odd. I have never seen even one single person wearing a "badge that says 99%". Maybe things are different down here....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

People who have defined benefit pensions might have to consider themselves part of the 1% if they compare how much their net worth would have to be to actually be able to receive the pension for 30 years.

What do you think?
Depends how you define 1%. It appears you are defining it in terms of net worth. If so, there are probably several 1%ers represented here. Now, if you are talking about income, the 1%ers are probably not so well represented here. The big difference is that a decent sized net worth can be built up with modest savings, half-way intelligent investing and a 30 or 40 year time frame. Earning a million a year (or whatever the 1% club starts at) is a little more difficult to do.

My big concern is that the gummint will mix up the two kinds of 1%ers. Not that I am in the "tax the rich" camp (I'm not). But there is a big difference between the lifestyle of the person who has managed to save a million over a life time and one who earns that much in a year, every year. Just sayin...

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a pension each month, but no matter how much COL goes up, my pension stays the same. 30 yrs from now it won't be worth much, but then too I probably won't be around then.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Administrator

I've not seen a single 99% badge either, where are you seeing them?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I am guessing that the 1% are probably hiding among the people not wearing the 99% badges, who constitute 100% of the people I encounter on a daily basis.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am guessing that the 1% are probably hiding among the people not wearing the 99% badges, who constitute 100% of the people I encounter on a daily basis.
On a similar theme, the recent US Census revealed that three out of four people residing in the US make up 75% of the population.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Who are the 1%?
Who are the 1 percent? - The Washington Post

I think the 1% are the people pictured in Forbes, Fortune, etc.
The 99% are those of us who read these magazines because we never accumulate enough airline dividend miles.
Have a great last-full-weekend-of-shopping-before-christmas y'all.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What do you think?
Well, the U.S. military has about 1.9 million people (for now, anyway), so compared to the U.S. population of 300 million I guess they'd qualify as 1%.

[Insert patriotic motivational poster here.]

However if history is any guide, only about 17% of those 1.9M will actually retire from the military to receive their defined benefit pension, and the majority of that 17% will be receiving a Reserve/National Guard pension at age 60.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
On a similar theme, the recent US Census revealed that three out of four people residing in the US make up 75% of the population.
You clever bastard you!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The article cited by target2019 said that "the top 1 percent of American households had a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010", based on calculations by the Tax Policy Center. This article by CNN said that the income number was $343,927 in 2009, using the latest IRS release number.

If one looks at the minimum net worth of the 1% and not their minimum income, then it is a lot tougher to determine. This article cited two different methods that yielded widely separated numbers. One was $9M and the other $1.5M!

PS. That last article said using net worth would be more meaningful than income, because a person's income may not be steady. For example, "78% of NFL players are bankrupt or in financial distress within 2 years of retirement".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

If I were in the 1% badge group, I still would prefer to wear the 99% badge.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The article cited by target2019 said that "the top 1 percent of American households had a minimum income of $516,633 in 2010", based on calculations by the Tax Policy Center.
I was worried about that pension thing, but I can report that my pension is least $16,633 less than the income quoted.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

What do you think?
I think it is quite odd to associate a defined benefit pension with the 1%.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't think people who won't have the potential for huge estates to pass to their heirs are the so-called "1%". Those who don't have huge net worth apart from a generous pension have that portion of their "imputed wealth" completely wiped out when they (and probably their spouse) buys the farm.

It's certainly true, I think, that the "imputed" value of a solid DB pension is probably more than it ever has been before in my lifetime -- the "price" of buying your own "guaranteed lifetime income stream" is obvious when you look at the lousy rates on SPIAs today, and it does feel like retirement without a pension seems harder than ever in the post-WW2 era. But someone who has (say) a $60K annual pension and nothing in the bank leaves his/her heirs exactly what on their death? A lot less than most of the so-called "1%". The value of a DB pension usually goes to zero upon the passing of the pensioner and spouse.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

What do you think?
I have seen the 99% badges on the TV news.

We probably hit the 1% by income one or two years with big stock option exercises, market moves from individual stocks to mutual funds/ETF's, and two engineering salaries before I retired. That seemed like a common occurance within the ranks for the 1% according to one of the articles. Didn't sound like there was a majority that repeatedly hit the top 1% over many years. Probably far from 1% by wealth at any time.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think it is quite odd to associate a defined benefit pension with the 1%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I don't think people who won't have the potential for huge estates to pass to their heirs are the so-called "1%". Those who don't have huge net worth apart from a generous pension have that portion of their "imputed wealth" completely wiped out when they (and probably their spouse) buys the farm.
It's certainly true, I think, that the "imputed" value of a solid DB pension is probably more than it ever has been before in my lifetime -- the "price" of buying your own "guaranteed lifetime income stream" is obvious when you look at the lousy rates on SPIAs today, and it does feel like retirement without a pension seems harder than ever in the post-WW2 era. But someone who has (say) a $60K annual pension and nothing in the bank leaves his/her heirs exactly what on their death? A lot less than most of the so-called "1%". The value of a DB pension usually goes to zero upon the passing of the pensioner and spouse.
"Worth more alive than dead."

Here's some calculation thoughts on estimating the present value of a defined-benefit pension:
“Present value” estimate of a military pension | Military Retirement & Financial Independence

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

For those who want to look at the "net worth" of the top 1% check out this article. I normally summarize but the topic turns out to be far too complex. Suffice it to say that it can vary from around $1.5M using an IRS multiplier approach that assumes a net worth based on income, gains and other factors (like valuing a business) to a Fed methodology more akin to our typical assets minus liabilities method (without regard to real accessibility of the $) that would pin it more in the $8-9M range. For what it is worth I haven't seen any proposals to tax wealth other than estate tax. All of the proposals for increased taxes on the rich focus on income including dividends and CGs.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The 99% signs and "badges" are all over the Occupy ______ event locations. And I take it as a their concept to show how dramatically lopsided income inequality and associated political influence is. I am sure if you're in the top 2%, you may still be a "bad guy"...

Loved the REW reply BTW - LOL!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Wife is threatening to buy a new car if we ever get to the top 10%.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote