Top Financial Blogs

kcowan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Pensions & Investments' Best Blogs and how they got that way - Pensions & Investments

With the blogosphere expanding even faster than the hedge fund universe, the editors of Pensions & Investments decided to take a look at some of the most popular blogs in the finance, money management and pension industries to see how they stack up.
These make for some interesting reading on a daily basis.

The Big Picture (Gold)

Infectious Greed (Silver)

DealBreaker (Bronze)

WSJ MarketBeat

Footnoted.org

Seeking Alpha

PE Hub

Nouriel Roubini’s Global EconoMonitor

All About Alpha

FT Alphaville

Pension Risk Matters

DealBook

Naked Shorts

Please report you favorites and other feedback on experiences here.

OK I'll start. I consult The Big Picture daily. So I lucked in. I would appreciate others reactions to the lower ranked ones. Barry is interesting but mostly just gives us pointers to items and events that have caught his attention. He performs more like an editor than an author.

Interesting! I didn't know about these blogs. I just checked out The Big Picture, and it looks interesting though the entries seem brief. You're right - - he doesn't write much, but provides a lot of links.

I'll check the others later on and chime in if I have any worthwhile responses.

I looked at the blogs you listed, kcowan. I'd say Seeking Alpha and Nouriel Roubini’s Global EconoMonitor were my favorites of those, followed by WSJ MarketBeat and The Big Picture. The rest are not of great interest to me. I don't know of any other blogs to add to your list.

Last edited:
"Seeking Alpha" and "WSJ MarketWatch" are also near the top of my list. (I left them off my suggestions because they were already mentioned.) I have CNNMoney send me e-mail because their Blogs are too cluttered.

Keith,

Thank-you for starting an interesting thread. I'm not too big on finance blogs, as most emphasize individual equities and I'm an ETF, index and managed fund kinda guy, but I like that you turn to sources other than those typically cited on this forum (most of which are also excellent, by the way) to inform your investing decisions. I try to do the same.

Tom

I spent a good chunk of time at this site some time ago but gave up on it for some reason... I believe it was that I could never get a handle on who the "good guys" and the "bad guys" were. If I remember correctly there were a lot of stones being thrown around.

Rule #1 for a good discussion: Make your case in paragraphs and not pages.

Rule #2: Bring numbers.

Long-winded appeals to emotion don't cut it with me.

Ooopps... forgot to add. I'm a passion saver now who firmly believes in... well, I'll get back to you once I figure it out.

Rule #1 for a good discussion: Make your case in paragraphs and not pages.

Rule #2: Bring numbers.

Long-winded appeals to emotion don't cut it with me.

Ooopps... forgot to add. I'm a passion saver now who firmly believes in... well, I'll get back to you once I figure it out.

Huh? I'm too wordy? Yikes!

I remember the name "H*O*C*U*S"! What happened to him? Why couldn't I write his name regular? Did I miss something?

Last edited:
I am not sure of the connection between Rob and H O C U S. I just know they share similar nutty withdrawal strategies.

Clif

I am not sure of the connection between Rob and H O C U S. I just know they share similar nutty withdrawal strategies.

Clif

When Rob Bennett and "the name which cannot be spelled" look in the mirror each morning, they see each other. OK, maybe only when their hallucinations are under control...

I go through so many websites in a week that I actually categorize them among "local", "national", "daily", and "weekly". And I read a lot of print media, to.

Many times I'll read a book or an article and think "Wow, great stuff!" Then I'll spend time on their blog (Philip Greenspun, Scott Berkun) and find out that they're much better in a book or an article. Or their blogs will just be an endless series of cryptic links (Dave Barry) when what I really want to do is read their own writings. Or they'll go off on some tangent (Scott Adams) and take weeks to return to the reasons I started reading them in the first place.

No way would I be able to add more blogs to my daily routine, and I don't want to have to wade through acres of swampland seeking yet another guru or linker. I find that the best way to stay up on the topics I care about is to put keywords into Google Alerts and sort through the daily half-dozen e-mails.

Otherwise I'd be spending entire days sitting here...

Hi Folks.

I found this ER Forum by looking for info on The Oxford Club. But I got sent to a thread that was 2 years old. I enjoyed the wit of the writers on that thread so I looked for posts by some of those folks.

That brought me to this thread.

I am pretty much a novice investor and have hired a financial advisor to do it for me.
I pay a pretty penny for his help but sometimes wonder if I'm getting my money's worth.

Do you guys have any words of wisdom about how I can fairly evaluate his work (results).

Also, I'd love to have more knowledge and maybe do some smaller investing on my own. Any help for a novice in terms of getting prepared to do this would be appreciated. Jo

Back
Top Bottom