Join Early Retirement Today

Total Portfolio ROI - January 2007
Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Total Portfolio ROI - January 2007

January wasn't too strong, but at least I was still in positive territory.

I factor in ALL "liquid" investments including all cash, bonds, and equities using a weighted average formula I have set up in a spreadsheet, so updating it takes just a few minutes a month. I don't include my home.

My cash portion actually gave me a boost up last month since my equities performed at less than the average.

Total annualized return for January 2007 was only 3.54%
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Total Portfolio ROI - January 2007
Old 02-11-2007, 10:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
January wasn't too strong, but at least I was still in positive territory.

Total return for January 2007 was only 3.54%
If you make 3.54% every month, you will certainly be retiring early. And you said January wasn't too strong?

I was up 1.43% in January and I thought I had a pretty good month.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #3

When I calculate my numbers, I always do them on an annualized basis. I made the correction to my original post to clarify that.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Administrator

Annualized after January's numbers are in I am running 1.47%/year and am satisfied with that.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #5

Quote:
When I calculate my numbers, I always do them on an annualized basis. I made the correction to my original post to clarify that.
I think you need to look into your asset allocation. January was a pretty good month for equities.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #6

I've got a 67/33 split. The S & P 500 only returned 1.50% (annualized) in January.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up 1.5% for january. Was talking to my old CFP and told him my return for jan and he said he had taught me too well. He was happy for me.

I was talking to him about my method using indexes and he told me I was not comparing them fairly with other managed mutual funds because of the weighted risk, then tried to explain the use of Sharpe's (sp?) score. My eyes glazed over at this point. Then he was talking to my mathematician DW about using the candle string method for trading equities. Very interesting conversation, anywho he picked up dinner and DW in energized about investing again.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stankin' 3.1%.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Stankin' 3.1%.
Annualized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJim
I'm up 1.5% for january.  Was talking to my old CFP and told him my return for jan and he said he had taught me too well.  He was happy for me.  

I was talking to him about my method using indexes and he told me I was not comparing them fairly with other managed mutual funds because of the weighted risk, then tried to explain the use of Sharpe's (sp?) score.  My eyes glazed over at this point.  Then he was talking to my mathematician DW about using the candle string method for trading equities.  Very interesting conversation, anywho he picked up dinner and DW in energized about investing again.
You spelled it right.  It is computed by taking the actual return minus the "risk free" return and dividing it by the standard deviation of the portfolio during a certain time period.  It's been debated for decades whether it means much other than as a tool to discuss why your portfolio tanked after the fact.  "Past performance is no indication of future results."  Your CFP was doing a bit of a snow job.

I've heard of candles but I've never heard of candle string trading even though I'm a reformed technical trader.  All of the studies show that the more you trade the less your return.  Engineers, science and math majors are all very suseptible to technical analysis and it doesn't work.  That's by my experience and every study that ever looked at it. 

I do run across people that swear by it but none of them were making millions in the stock market.  Lots of brokers and investment advisors talk about how they use it to make their clients rich.  If it really worked, why would they waste their time dealing with clients.

If your former CFP picked up the check, he's either your father or plans on getting more business from you.  Take care.

Old 02-11-2007, 12:08 PM   #10

Quicken says my annualized rate of return for January was 8.34%. The actual January gain was 0.68%. That looks self consistent at least. Not that one month says anything worth paying attention to, but there were some weird sounding numbers being thrown out here.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #11

I think many of you don't understand what "annualized" means.

If I start out with 100k on December 31, 2006, and I end up with 101k on January 31, 2007 (let's assume I made no contributions to keep the math simple), then my return was 1% for the month of January. But, my annualized return was 12%. In other words, if I extrapolate the same rate of return over the whole year, my annual return would be 12%.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph
Quicken say my annualized rate of return for January was 8.34%.
What fund in your mix gave you an 8.34% (or greater) rate of return?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #13

Retire@40, you don't understand. The 8.34% figure is an "annualized" figure, not a January return figure. Please read my previous post. The January return was .68%
Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Retire@40, you don't understand. The 8.34% figure is an "annualized" figure, not a January return figure. Please read my previous post. The January return was .68%
Ok, then let me rephrase my question. What fund gave you the highest annualized rate of return and what was that annualized rate of return?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #15

As JustCurious stated, that would be 8.34% if the January gains continued throughout the year. I only made 0.68% for January. I'm about 50% foreign, and heavy on small cap, energy, health. I'm just switcing from stocks to funds, so my asset allocation is a bit fluid for the next year or so.

Dan
Old 02-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Ok, then let me rephrase my question. What fund gave you the highest annualized rate of return and what was that annualized rate of return?
My Vanguard Small Cap was my big hero up 2.36% in January. Vanguard Total Stock Market was up 1.37% in January. Both returns are according to my Quicken.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #17

Retire@40, please understand that an "annualized" rate of return is a fiction. It assumes that the return for the rest of the year will be at exactly the same rate as it was in January, and this will not happen. So asking someone for their annualized rate of return in January is really quite meaningless.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B
Annualized?
No.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #19

retire@40:

This ought to stir things up! Below are the best and worst returns for the funds that I just held through January:

My best fund was Wasatch International Opportunities Fund up 53.45% annualized.
My worst was Prudent Bear (caught me market timing!) down 15.32% annualized.

One fund I had for only about a day in January reported a 400%+ annualized gain, which is why it is difficult to make much out of annualized numbers for periods of less than a year. I probably had a 1% gain in that fund in one day and the annualized gain assumed that would continue for a whole year.

Dan

Edited to insert another "annualized" after 400%+
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Retire@40, please understand that an "annualized" rate of return is a fiction. It assumes that the return for the rest of the year will be at exactly the same rate as it was in January, and this will not happen. So asking someone for their annualized rate of return in January is really quite meaningless.
No! - A.P.R. is the benchmark! - Whether you are talking about 1 month, 6 months, 1 year or 10 years!

It's all fiction - It's an average - And that is what it is supposed to be!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote