Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Geez -- you guys make me feel like a spendthrift. I'm a single guy in my late 20s (w/ girlfriend) in Northern California (very $$$).

Total spending in 2009: $47,102.47
Rent: $27,393.08 (I am moving in with a roommate to lower this expense to $8,000-$12,000/yr.)
Eating Out: $3,713
Groceries: $1,058
Electronics: $3,047
Travel: $2,324

This does not include health insurance premiums, as these are taken directly out of my paycheck. Also does not include taxes, etc. But I don't think taxes should count anyways because if I did not make an income or if my income was all capital gains, the tax would be different.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll make you feel a little better...

I spent ~127k this year, not including taxes.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great year for us.

Did a lot of cool stuff.

Saved a huge amount on food.

Not including income tax. Includes property tax. Sales tax.

Our health insurance was paid for. Except 1000 out of pocket for dental and eye.

This was in the lovely state of Californie.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xman View Post
I was trying to make sense of a charge for food on the way out...
I hadn't thought about it that way -- ewwwwww

That is for meals we don't prepare ourselves, including eating out and ordering in.

lhamo
Old 01-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #45

Well it was raining all day today so I figured mine out for the year.
We spent $37K this year. That has been very consistent for the last three years. I will be retiring next year and I don't think we'll have a problem covering that. We'll have to teach ourselves to spend more.
Somehow, with traveling in the plans I don't think we'll have a problem there.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I added up the numbers just now. We spent $58K last year. That does not include income taxes. No mortgage, no car payments. We did not take any foreign trip, and only had a simple vacation.

If I take out the kids' college costs, we could live on $40K, again not including income taxes. That $40K would cover living expenses with two houses (RE taxes and utilities), our health insurance, and one or two simple domestic trips a year. However, that does not include extraordinary expenses such as major home repairs, or car replacements, or dental work, etc...
Old 01-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
. However, that does not include extraordinary expenses such as major home repairs, or car replacements, or dental work, etc...

or a new RV !
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that's right. If it weren't for this or for that, we can live on nearly nothing at all!

But yours truly has been good, and working his butt off to generate extra income so his cheapskate's conscience does not ache when he finally buys his RV.

Heck, I lost enough money in the last 2 or 3 weeks to buy a used Alpine like Audrey's. A local dealer had a mint one with only 19K miles on it. Heh heh heh... My wife wouldn't have any of it though.

With the market god giving and taking so much more than what I can earn by working, it makes me so mad sometimes. Heaven knows, I would day trade if I knew how.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #49

All right I'll confess single female, one old cat and one old dog. I spent including property taxes, estimated quarterly taxes, & health care premiums (not including income taxes deducted from my pension check every month) $55,304. I think it's a lot but I've had my cabin worked on over the year and both my pets have become very expensive. They require multiple vet visits and meds! They are both around 15. Main monthly expenses are utilities and the health care premiums otherwise no debt.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
$20,792 in 2009, including all taxes except income taxes. My house is paid off, but if I was still paying the mortgage that would be $29,722. But then, there is only one of me and I live in the South. Both of these make a huge difference. I paid for several trips across country including the trip to Oregon for my daughter's wedding.

My spending decreased from 2008, when I spent $5K more than in 2009 plus another $10K that I had put aside and then gave to my daughter in 2008 for her wedding.

I have dutifully made my best attempt to correct this downward trend and spend more in 2010, by getting my new baby this week (photo below, I just can't help showing my baby picture). OK, so I've already spent almost 150% of my 2009 expenses in 2010 and it's not even February.
Nice car! but I thought you loved your toyota solera. I hope you didn't have a problem with the gas pedal sticking.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:08 PM   #51

Quote:
I have dutifully made my best attempt to correct this downward trend and spend more in 2010, by getting my new baby this week (photo below, I just can't help showing my baby picture). OK, so I've already spent almost 150% of my 2009 expenses in 2010 and it's not even February.
Neighbor in next building over bought one of these about a month ago. He said it was 50% off MSRP. Hope you got a great deal, too. His wife is still driving her Solara. They are a two Toyota couple!
Old 01-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Nice car! but I thought you loved your toyota solera. I hope you didn't have a problem with the gas pedal sticking.
I did love my 2000 Solara but it was pushing 10 years old, and I was ready for the new car that I had always planned to buy when I retired. Never had any trouble with the gas pedal sticking. The Solara never was recalled, though the mats were awful about rumpling up around the gas pedal. But, I just put them back where they were supposed to be each time I got in the car. Not my problem any more, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Neighbor in next building over bought one of these about a month ago. He said it was 50% off MSRP. Hope you got a great deal, too. His wife is still driving her Solara. They are a two Toyota couple!
Gosh no, I got a reasonable deal on a great car but I didn't get anywhere near as good a deal as his 50% off MSRP (but congratulations to your neighbor!).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #53

Quote:
Gosh no, I got a reasonable deal on a great car but I didn't get anywhere near as good a deal as his 50% off MSRP (but congratulations to your neighbor!).
It has ALL the bells and whistles (alarm goes off if someone smokes in it) so my guess is there was some fluff in the price. Don't know which year either.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 AM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
It has ALL the bells and whistles (alarm goes off if someone smokes in it) so my guess is there was some fluff in the price. Don't know which year either.
There is only one year of Venza, since it was new in 2009 and the 2010 models aren't out yet.

Does he like the GPS? Mine is essentially fully loaded except for the GPS since I didn't want it. According to the "most people are paying" prices listed for a loaded Venza like mine at edmunds.com, in both your area and mine most people are getting a few thousand off but are still paying about $13,000 more than 50% of the MSRP! So even if your neighbor's Venza has a lot of aftermarket stuff added to it, he still made out like a bandit and congratulation to him. Be sure to take him with you if you buy a new car there.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 AM   #55

For a family of three, I'm also including Roth funding, tuition payments, RE taxes and estimated fed taxes. In southern NJ, we spent $110K in 2009.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 AM   #56

Me, cat, dog and sixty Chickens spent $51,384. This includes a $5,000 gift/loan to a cousin and his wife who got in a a lot of trouble due to an accident just after their first child was born. They are better and got through the last two months on their own. Chickens paid their own way via the freezer.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I still drive the 95 minivan I bought to haul my kids, who are all in their 20s now. The odometer reads 150,000 miles. The engine does not burn any oil. The A/C needs a bit of Freon every year, but that is cheap and I can add it myself. The leather seats are torn, and I am wondering if it costs too much to reupholster. The CV joints start to make funny noises when the wheels are at the extreme steering angles. I looked on line to find out that replacements would cost $140 in parts. Do I do it myself, or pay to have it done to save the skin on my knuckles?

The point is I am still a frugal guy, despite owning two homes, and have spent upwards of $110K+/yr in some previous years. I guess it all depends on how each of us values what we spend our money on.

Still, it is good to know forum members realize that they cannot take it with them. Heh heh heh... At some points, one has to live at her means and not below them. May I propose another classification, ESER?

It stands for Economy-Stimulating Early Retirees!
Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
I hadn't thought about it that way -- ewwwwww

That is for meals we don't prepare ourselves, including eating out and ordering in.

lhamo
TY for elaborating. It was killing me to contain myself and avoid making any sort of commentary on the "outbound" system.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #59

89K for my wife and I.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
TY for elaborating. It was killing me to contain myself and avoid making any sort of commentary on the "outbound" system.
Funny thing is, they do meter/charge separately for the water used to flush the toilets in our new apartment complex. So maybe I should set up a category for that!

lhamo

Tags
2009 spending