Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Thanks for sharing a great data point.
Did you sell property or did property taxes go down over the past two years?
Dang, good catch. I forgot to add in the rental property's taxes. That $2448 should be $4551, bringing the total to $69,600.

Oahu property sales have been slowly declining in value so the city council has been muttering about raising the rate, but in an election year they're having trouble finding political support for higher property taxes. At least for the incumbents who are up for re-election.

I corrected my spreadsheet but I'm past my editing window, so I guess I'll fix the table on next year's thread...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I corrected my spreadsheet but I'm past my editing window, so I guess I'll fix the table on next year's thread...
The table is now changed (hopefully correctly).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Divorced, one child in Ohio.

2006 - $48,859
2007 - $48,414
2008 - $67,136 (bought a condo but didn't include downpayment in this figure)
2009 - $68,098.

This shows that owning and living in my condo is costing my $19K more per year than when I was renting. Definately a decision I deeply regret. I knew my mortgage payment was going to be $4K more than my rent, but was very naive about the other hidden cost of owning such as much higher utilities, maint fees, property taxes, repairs, etc...
Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The table is now changed (hopefully correctly).
Looks good, thanks!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
And now that I've figured out the table formatting I should be able to just add a new column each year.
That Is Beautiful!

I always wondered how to make the tables work. All I needed was an example. Sweet.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

A little late in joining, but for me (single, SoCal) $52K last year, including mortgage, prop taxes, but not income taxes. Includes about $9K in travel for last year as the main big ticket item.

Tags
2009 spending